1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS/2 Scratching games Disc's

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by pemberto, Aug 19, 2004.

1. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Guys,

I am after some help. :lease: My PS/2 of about 15 months has started to scratch my games to the point that the games will not play.

The unit has not been modified in any way, has alway been laid flat and has only ever played a handful of UK games.

I put a call into Sony, but all they have offered is for me to send the games to them and they will resurface them for me.

Is this a known problem with a batch of machines? What can I do to fix the problem?

Thanks
    Pemberto

2. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,333
    I guess your PS2 is out or warrenty then? Do you ever leave games in after use, or move the PS2 with games inside? Also the problem can be caused when the disk goes from the loading tray to the mechanisim to spin/read and back, which can be cause by the loading tray being too low. You can try manually pulling or pushing the tray open then its turned off, it will make a grinding/clunking noise (as you obviously force the teeth over the rachet, but it can readjust the tray mechanism. Better if you're confident to pull it apart and check the grey/white cogs themselves.

Unfortunately its one of those things Sony tries to imply isnt its fault, much like the dreaded DRE (Disk Read Errors), which in some ways isnt, but really its a build quality problem at root. The flip top lids gave far fewer probs in the PS1 and Game Cube, but trays seem more "consumer-product", so i doubt the next gen will use flip-tops...

3. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    People normally blame this on using the PS2 vertically, but I think that isn't true. I have used my PS2 vertically for almost 18 months and not had any problems.

As long as you're careful with your discs, and the way you use your PS2 then there shouldn't be a problem. If there is though, then it's probably the machine that's to blame

How do you turn off your machine etc? Do you wait until it's finished loading something, then switch it off at the back? Do you use reset and then switch it off (which Sony recommend)

4. rank1

rank1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it just with cd or just with DVD media or both

answer this and ive got a fix for yer easy to do and takes less than 5 minutes

5. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Guys, Thanks for the replys.

For the 15 months I have had the machine, only my wife has played games on it. I myself am an Xbox fan, but that is another issue.

I think the most it has ever been played in one session is about 5 hours, the unit has always been laid flat, never vertical. I have never played DVD's or CD's in the unit.

I go along with the idea of build quality. I have never had this type of problem with any other disc player, be it my pio 717 dvd or my cd, cdr, vdp and a long list of cd/dvd in my pc.
    pemberto

6. dinamite

dinamite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a problem like this just go to http:www.slidecardkit.co.uk and buy a swap magic kit and slide card.You won't worry about scratching expensive discs ever again........

7. dinamite

dinamite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0