PS 2 poor picture alignment

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by cycomiko, Aug 27, 2001.

1. cycomiko

cycomiko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Sony IDTV model number KV28DX30 to compliment my Playstation 2. However, no matter which connection lead I try, the picture on the intro screen and in games always appears left of centre, leaving a black band on the right hand side of the screen. Some games allow you to move the screen - but not all.

I`m still waiting for a reply from Sony.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is your TV a widescreen model? If it is, I have the same trouble but it is only when the Playstation 2 logo appears at the beggining. Games are OK.<br />If it isn't a widescreen model, go into the setup menu on the PS2 and ensure you have it set up for the correct ratio screen. This may help.

3. cycomiko

cycomiko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, my TV is a widescreen model. I`ve tried all sorts of setttings, but can`t get rid of the black band.

I`ve noticed that the TV doesn`t switch to RGB automatically. If I do this manually, then the picture moves slightly to the right. I wonder if this is an indication of the problem. Nothing of the sort occurs with DVD`s.

I also wonder if it`s something to do with the fact that it`s an integrated digital TV?

I`ve still got my old Playstation, and this problem occurs slightly, but is removed completely when switched to RGB.

As I said I`ve tried Sony`s technical department, but at the moment I`m still none the wiser.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,

I don't know if the menu on your TV is the same as my KV32FX65, and if it is you may have tried this already, but mine has an option that lets you adjust the picture geometry of an RGB source.

I don't have the manual with me right now, but I've got a vague memory that it actually says that with game consoles the RGB picture may not be proporly centred, and this will allow you to correct it. If it's not picking up the RGB input this menu option will be greyed out.

Hope this helps.

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You said that everything was ok on your old playstation. The PS1 does not output an RGB signal (as far as I am aware). Whatever connection you use, you get a composite picture.<br />Check to ensure that the cable you are using is in fact RGB enabled. Some of the cheaper ones are not and don't have all the pins at the scart end. If it is an official Sony cable then it will be.<br />I have connected my PS2 via an official Sony s - video lead through my amp and am having no problems. Even get DVD in colour!!

6. cycomiko

cycomiko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,

Thanks for the information. I have checked in the manual for the TV regarding picture geometry, but I can`t find any mention of it.

I`ll try the help line tomorrow.

I`m waiting to check out the information regarding the Scart connection. Hopefully I`m now on the right track.

All the best

Phil

7. cycomiko

cycomiko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bri,

Again thanks for the info.

I just need to check out that scart lead.

All the best

Phil

8. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

9. cycomiko

cycomiko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

I seem to be making some sort of progress, but still haven`t cured the problem.

If both the Playstation and Playstation 2 output an RGB signal, do you know of any reason why the picture should be more "off-centre" with the PS2?

Best Regards,

Phil

PS. I tried a different cable from Dixons, one from Wolverhampton and a replacement from Leicester - neither of which worked. They gave a composite picture, but no RGB picture (only sound) at all. If any one has one of these, I`d take it back and get a refund.

10. harvy2020

harvy2020

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PS2 is known to have this off-center thing, i have no idea why though.

Anyways if u get a RGB Ps2 (or PS1) cable hook it up, go into the Ps2 Menu and select RGB mode for display output, then u get RGB for games but remember when u try to play DVDs the screen will go green.

11. motta_lunn

motta_lunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

This problems occurs with nearly all consoles and all makes of televisions. I have a Dreamcast which I play on a Panasonic T[tau] 4:3 in RGB mode and I get the black band on the right hand side too.

Firstly, in RGB mode the normal picture setting are by-passed so that is why the image is slightly shifted to the left, this part can be fixed by selecting RGB mode on Sony tv's. The black band I think is due to the overscan of the telly and would appear in S-video or composite mode too but RGB mode aggravates it a bit more. You would have to play about with the service menu to fix it but it will change the settings and not be right for DVD or anything else you have in RGB. I have gone into the service menu of my Panasonic and shifted the image to the right and then the black band starts appearing on the left, so the image position is not the problem.

I get the band on the PS and Saturn too. When games allow you to move the image it sometimes allows the whole image to fill the screen but not most of the time.