1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS 2 Memory card?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by STOWITBELOW, May 13, 2005.

1. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi, simple question but I can't see the answer posted already (Feel sure it's on here) I have a PS 2 consul, & 8 mb Sony memory card. (Actual my daughters) The whole family are now using it for different games. So, how many games can be saved on a card? If I get another is it worth getting 16 or 32 mb cards (a lot cheaper per mb). What are the likely pitfalls (if any) I've read someone criticising non Sony, but surely a reputable make is just as good? Any pointers as there are many 'bargains' on Ebay.

2. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The amount of game-saves that can be stored on a card depends on the game. There are some that only use a very small amount of memory; say 64KB, whereas one game I know uses over 4,000KB, that's half the space of an 8MB card!!! Fortunately the former is closer to the average usage figure.

You can check how much space a card has free by doing the following:
    Start the PS2 without a game disc. It should boot to a screen where you can select the "Browser" mode. This should take you to a screen where you can select the memory card you wish to view. The top-left corner of the card-view screen will show how much memory remains. I guess a totally empty card would read 8,000+ KB.

Hope that helps. :)

3. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Cheers Mad jack, I'll do that & may be able to save my £20 !!!!

4. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I don't know if they're the cheapest, but Play.com currently offer them for £14.99.

5. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I've just looked, 2 Simpsons, 1 Klonoa, 1 Spiro, 1 Crash Bandicoot, 2Medal of Honour saves & only 25% full !! I was concerned our combined use would exceed its capacity - not as yet. Next question how do I delete the ones I don't want? Our normal practice is to overwrite previous saves for any one game. I may still indulge, but 8 mb seems to be more than adequate, & as you say that should easily be less than £15.

6. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    In the card-view screen (mentioned before) you can use the controller to select individual files. This brings up the option to Copy or Delete them. Just don't blame me if you delete the wrong one and the earth stops spinning! :suicide:

Personally, I have three cards on the go at the moment. It's not that I play that many games, rather that I like making backups of those game-saves that I really don't want to risk losing because of some power cut... ;)

7. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Excellent. I won't be bothering until I need the space, just curious. :thumbsup: Thanks again :hiya: