PS 1 & 2 Game Saves on the PS3

norealplan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looks like Sony are getting somethings right too:

Taken from - http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152668

"It's hard to look at an Xbox and put a backwards compatible copy of Halo: Combat Evolved and want to reclear the game for access to all of the campaign missions. Smartly, Sony has created technology that will prevent this situation for their PS3. Via Joystiq, the official PS3 site has new information that confirms a way to get your PSOne and PS2 memory card files on to your PS3.

From the official site:

Q: How do I save my PlayStation 2 memory card information to PlayStation 3?
A: To use saved data on a PlayStation 2 memory card, you must copy the data onto a virtual memory card within the hard disk. This requires a PS2/PSone memory card adaptor to copy the data to your PlayStation 3. A memory card adaptor is designed to edit, up/download game saves to and from EMS flash card or smart media card."

Assuming this backwards compatibility solution is reasonably priced, Sony is taking steps in showing Microsoft the right way to do backwards compatibility. Having the saves and history from your gaming library follow you to your next console is more than just having games be playable, it's progressive and thoughtful and something Sony needs to do more of. Hopefully, Microsoft is looking into something similar."

nice for Sony to start the ball rolling.:thumbsup: But why would you play a ps1 game on your ps3.:confused:

The xbox to 360 is an issue that could be resolved next week if Microsoft wanted, they could update live to allow game saves to be stored and then when your at your mates you could play saved saves from your live account.

This is the way I would like it to go. The common thing being 'live' between xbox and 360.

Thats what happens when you allow for things to change. Nothing needed just your free live account.

You never know we will wait and see what Microsoft plan.

pixelpixel said:
nice for Sony to start the ball rolling.:thumbsup: But why would you play a ps1 game on your ps3.:confused: .

Because Final Fantasy 7 is the Don :D

Great news though since I really wouldnt have wanted to put in the sort of work i have on GT4 all over again.

Hats off to Sony - that will come in handy when I play FFVII for the first time, just recently bought a copy off fleabay! :)

If it turns out the backwards compatibility is region free then you could also play ps1 and ps2 games that didn't get released over here such as final fantasy tactics and xenosaga.

Forget Xenosaga it's got to be all about Xenogears on the ps1 the game was better when it was square before namco got involved

Oh and I hope the adaptor is not too expensive because everyone is going to want one

JamesOD said:
Oh and I hope the adaptor is not too expensive because everyone is going to want one

I'm hoping it's a 'use it once' kind of thing - so I can share one amongst my mates...

amazing really that the more expensive PS3 has a card reader yet its not compatible with the older cards ps1/ps3, only CF,SD and Memory stick.

And the other cheaper PS3 doesn't have a card reader so god knows how that will work.

and no mention of cost yet either.

Still the addition of CF and SD slots gets a thumbs up :thumbsup:

Craigy Boy said:
"It's hard to look at an Xbox and put a backwards compatible copy of Halo: Combat Evolved and want to reclear the game for access to all of the campaign missions. Smartly, Sony has created technology that will prevent this situation for their PS3. Via Joystiq, the official PS3 site has new information that confirms a way to get your PSOne and PS2 memory card files on to your PS3.

Assuming this backwards compatibility solution is reasonably priced, Sony is taking steps in showing Microsoft the right way to do backwards compatibility. Having the saves and history from your gaming library follow you to your next console is more than just having games be playable, it's progressive and thoughtful and something Sony needs to do more of. Hopefully, Microsoft is looking into something similar."

Again i love the Sony Spin that they think their machine can do something that 360 cannot.....:rolleyes:

XSATA anyone?, - yep xbox1 saves on xbox360, been there done that

mcmanic said:
Again i love the Sony Spin that they think their machine can do something that 360 cannot.....:rolleyes:

XSATA anyone?, - yep xbox1 saves on xbox360, been there done that

..by Datel - not Microsoft. :lesson:

NackNack said:
USB adapter I reckons.

It may also be a Memory Card to Compact Flash adapter? Seems like that would be the easiest and cheapest option for Sony to implement.

NackNack said:
The 20GB version doesn't have a Compact Flash adapter.

But it does have multiple USB ports into which you can insert a sub-£5 memory card reader that reads "compact flash" which in this case may be the memory card adapter

Mickus said:
..by Datel - not Microsoft. :lesson:

and your point it?, who cares who makes it, it works and was just pointing out that the OP where it states that "It's hard to look at an Xbox and put a backwards compatible copy of Halo: Combat Evolved and want to reclear the game for access to all of the campaign missions" as if its not possible and only somethin the PS3 will be able to do :nono: , when infact it is not true :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom