1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prudent things to check when collecting CRT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BobbyBlaze, Aug 6, 2005.

1. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Chaps! :thumbsup:
    I've just picked up a Sony 1271 CRT pj on eB@y that's alledgedly done only 350 hours.

[​IMG]

Pic of tubes.

Can anyone tell me what some of the most important questions to ask when picking up a pj? This one was described as follows:-

"I am the second owner of this projector.

The previous owner had it in storage for most of its life, waiting for what turned out to be very simple electronic and mechanical repairs, both of which I did when I first purchased it.(I'm a broadcast engineer by trade, so these have been done both safely and well).

When received, the projector had done a mere 116 hours of service. It has now done a leisurely 350 which was a film a week for 2 years in my case, plus a bit of telly for good measure. These machines, in a home cinema environment, can easily reach 10,000 tube hours, so this one is barely run in.

Check out the photographs of the crt faces, and you will see that there is the merest hint of use on the blue tube only, so this projector is extremely bright and sharp as a result of this. It also has very accurate, vivid colour rendition, in some ways better than the machine I have replaced it with. (also a crt projector).

Input wise, it is fitted with both IFB1000 and IFB10 modules, so it it good to go with RGBHV as well as "s" and "composite" video. You can therefore use this machine with a P.C. or standard video sources in PAL, NTSC or SECAM.

HDTV is easily within its scan range, and it looks great displaying this. It also looks good with line doubled, or tripled video.

It can display 4/3 and 16/9 formats at the press of a button.

Internally, it is as clean as a whistle. The only minor negative points are cosmetic and external. Electronically this machine is as good as new."

Is it Ok to ask to see the tubes to confirm everything is copacetic? etc.

He's happy to let me see it running with a video source but has replaced it with a different pj (barco, I believe) and so a full set up isn't available.

I just thought I'd check in with the CRT experts so I'd ask the right things come pick up time (and any other tips you think may help).

Cheers

ps. I find this sight addictive and believe it has been instrumental in my upgrading from a Seleco 320+. So a big thanks to one and all because your enthusiasm is so contagious :smashin:

Attached Files:

2. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Was watching that sale - there's been two nice 127*s recently with really nice tubes.

Hmmm... Wouldn't know what to ask further than whats been told - presume you found out as much about the pj as pos before you bought it.

Anyway if the tubes are anything to go by it looks like a cracking unit!

Simon

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The run time on the early sony's can be reset very easily (press of a button). But I do not hold much attaention to run time, I fact I don't think it would matter that this machine had done 100, 1000,10,000 or even 100,000 hrs that is not a good indicator of the life you are likely to get.
    The condition of the tubes is most important followed by how it has been stored and used. storage in a damp garage or cellar for a week is about the same as 10 years in a nice dry office.
    I always find it odd when a £10,000 + machine (when new) is put to one side for the sake of a simple repair. but it does happen.
    It is quite a lot of work to take the lenses off these units as to get to the bottom lens nuts you have to take out the power supply. If he is genuine then he will tut and moan but should agree.
    At then end of the day you have bought this through an auction so should do all your inspecting and ask all your questions before it closes.

4. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Aye, this is true. Seems like a very nice guy anyhow. Looking forward to picking it up later today :)

5. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So Bobby, how is it looking? Have you got it set up yet?

Dr D

6. kalW

kalW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Another point:

He seems to really know what he's talking about (which is a good sign). What tipped me off the most on this was the following line:

"It also has very accurate, vivid colour rendition, in some ways better than the machine I have replaced it with. (also a crt projector)."

This most likely means that he's upgraded to a better PJ, most likely an 8"/9" EM focussed machine this time since he said he's sticking with CRT. Most of these newer units do not have tinted glycol (or C-elements in the case of LC'ed machines) to produce 100% accurate colours on the CIE chart. This is completely normal (and unfortunate) as most newer machines were build mostly for boardrooms where light output was paramount. Examples include the Marquee 8000/8500/9500LC, Barco 808/1208/1209, etc. The Sony 1271 he's selling (along with many other older 8" ES units like Barco 800's) have coloured glycol.

Most people don't seem to know this, so the fact the he does is an indication that he seems to know his stuff.

Kal

7. kalW

kalW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hi Roland! I would have thought that heat would be a bigger problem then dampness. Heat dries out the e-caps faster. Or maybe you're talking about actual condensation in the machine? (Which can cause corrosion/etc).

Kal

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Heat can be an issue too but not a usual one in the UK.
    there are hundreds of connectors inside a projector and corosion on these will kill a projector far earlier than heat.
    It is a good point.
    Nice air conditioned office where the temperature and humidity are controlled.

9. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi chaps! :hiya:

Been looking after my girlfriend in Cheshire for the last 10 days or so as her Dad died recently and haven't actually plugged in the PJ yet.

The seller was a really nice guy (Hi Trev! :smashin: ), really seemed to know his stuff and is a big CRT enthusiast. The Sony was downstairs in the living room and he had done a quick convergence on it and plugged in a video source so it could at least be seen working. Picture from the tubes was very bright and sharp (much more so than my Seleco) and he even let me have a look at his Barco 808s in the attic on a 13.5 gain silver screen which, even in daylight, gave a picture that was brighter than most TV's.

I might be moving in a couple of months so I'm not sure if I'm gonna set up this PJ yet and before I do I'm gonna need to get hold of a few necessary bits and bobs to get the job done right (ceiling mount & spacers spring to mind). On the plus side, I am so looking forward to remote controlled digital convergence it's not true. The last time I had a fiddle with the seleco pot's with my arm stuck up in the air for 4 hours whilst trying to move blue lines on a black background from 14 feet away it popped some blood vessels in my eyes!! :eek: (Final picture was worth it though :thumbsup: )

Currently I am using a Pioneer 737 & xbox as sources (both connected via component to a Seleco SVP 320+HB and switched through a Yamaha DSP AX1) but in order to get the most out of this PJ I thought I would ask a couple of questions of the wise ones, if it's not too much trouble.

Basically, what I want is to get the most out of playing DVD's and to connect some HD sources such as xbox360 and possibly SKY HD when the bank manager's feeling generous. From what I gather 1080i is OK to the PJ and it can display 720P with nice fresh tubes although it might be a little soft as 660P is more along the lines of what the PJ can do.

Reading around on the AVS forums, I spotted the Moome IFB-M2005A which would allow DVI-D and component inputs.

What I want to know is what sort of difference would there be by connecting the computer via (DVI) as opposed to (VGA to RGBHV) for watching movies? Can anyone comment on this?

Also, on the off chance I can get hold of one, can the Sony IFB 12 board accept HD signals or is it limited to 480i?

The pioneer 737 gives a very good picture but is limited to prog scan. How would a HTPC picture compare to this and what would be the optimum resolutions and refresh rates for PAL and NTSC sources?

Finally, I have an electric 8 ft Seleco screen (7.5 ft visible) but is only 0.9 gain (I'm a bit p!ssed at my last dealer for recommending this as for £600 you'd expect to get something that would do the job properly). I generall view at a distance of about 12 feet or so. What size and gain of screen is suitable for this PJ and how much difference would it make as to what's currently there? Once this big heavy sucker has gone up I can't imagine moving it again for a smaller screen so I'd need to know this before I started. If the screen size is OK then I could always exchange for a screen with the same size but a bigger gain when an opportunity presented itself later but with the number of gaffs that went on when my last dealer installed the Seleco (a full year's worth of grief and it's still installed 3ft further back than it should be :mad: ) I want to get this one right first time.

Anyway, this post is getting a bit unwieldly and with all life's passions, there's always more you want to find out about but I think these are the main ones. If anyone can drop their two p's worth in then I'd be, as always, very grateful.

Cheers!!!!

10. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9