Proxima Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the great review I'll look out for this one I always thought Eva Green was a great actress she put in some great performances in Penny Dreadful

Last edited:
Cheers, Cas. I'll keep it in mind for a digital view. Fudge cinema plague dwellers.

Seeing this tomorrow at my local Cineworld as I've been wanting to see it for ages. :thumbsup:

Sounds interesting, one too add to the Cinema Paradiso list. No chance I'll be at the cinema anytime soon, likely not for a year or two. The idea of sitting inside a room with tens of even hundreds or others for hours with AC circulating the air around and disinterested underpaid staff doing the cleaning sounds beyond insane.

Thanks for the review Cas, sounds interesting.
I like the look of the trailer too, we all enjoyed Sean Penns drama, so will definitely check this out.

The idea of sitting inside a room with tens of even hundreds or others for hours with AC circulating the air around and disinterested underpaid staff doing the cleaning sounds beyond insane.
Everyone has to make up their own mind on this, so do what you think is best for yourself with your current circumstances. Mine means that I am prepared to take some degree of risk to go and do the only thing I would typically leave the house for, other than going to work, running on my own or food shopping.

So far, the most "packed" screening I've been in since cinemas sort of re-opened was at the Curzon Mayfair for Parasite Black-and-White Edition. It was in the big screen and there were about 15 people in total, all sensibly spread across the auditorium. I've been deliberately picking showings and screening times where there is likely to be a limited number of people, as I would also do if there wasn't a global pandemic going on. I'm expecting a Friday afternoon showing of Proxima to be fairly light on the audience front TBH.

Agree @PlexShaw if I can get a quiet time in Scotland which has next to no cases, I’ll take the risk.

It’s not showing at my local cinema. Where can it streamed ?

Sounds interesting, one too add to the Cinema Paradiso list. No chance I'll be at the cinema anytime soon, likely not for a year or two. The idea of sitting inside a room with tens of even hundreds or others for hours with AC circulating the air around and disinterested underpaid staff doing the cleaning sounds beyond insane.

A shame as that's in part what keeps these movies being made...

It’s not showing at my local cinema. Where can it streamed ?
It's a Picturehouse Entertainment release, so it's currently cinemas only AFAIK. I'm assuming Cas was sent a screener to view it.

Thanks for the great review I'll look out for this one I always thought Eva Green was a great actress she put in some great performances in Penny Dreadful
She was excellent in that and pretty much most things i have seen her in.

Thanks for the Review Cas. Sounds interesting, and will watch out for it.

Difficult to watch movies if I'm on a ventilator.

I'm in no position to comment on that I don't know your age or if you are particularly at risk. But I will be taking my kids to the cinema this weekend and out for dinner afterwards, and I'll be booking in to see Proxima as soon as I'm able to :)

I'm in no position to comment on that I don't know your age or if you are particularly at risk. But I will be taking my kids to the cinema this weekend and out for dinner afterwards, and I'll be booking in to see Proxima as soon as I'm able to :)
I am absolutely sure that you will be extremely careful regarding your visit to the Cinema & the subsequent dinner with your children.
But please don't be flippant about who gets effected by this Virus. Extremely healthy people of any agegroup also end up on ventilators, or die, or have permanent health conditions.
Everyone, of any agegroup, has a right to be concerned about becoming infected right now.

I am absolutely sure that you will be extremely careful regarding your visit to the Cinema & the subsequent dinner with your children.
But please don't be flippant about who gets effected by this Virus. Extremely healthy people of any agegroup also end up on ventilators, or die, or have permanent health conditions.
Everyone, of any agegroup, has a right to be concerned about becoming infected right now.

Of course I will be careful, will wear masks, social distance etc. But equally, extremely healthy people of any age group die of many different things...I refuse to buy into the fear mongering. But let's not turn this into a Covid-19 debate :)

Loved this. I'm a sucker for astronaut films (First Man, Astronaut, Spacewalker etc) and this continues that trend. Eva Green is totally up to the task, and I also really liked the supporting turn from Matt Dillon.

I know Cineworld owns Picturehouse, so it's unsurprising that they would be showing it in the absence of anything else to play (although they could have perhaps found some room for the incredible Saint Frances too) but it's nice to see a multi-lingual film like this getting a push in mainstream multiplexes.

Decent film with all the pre-build up to the mission. Green is excellent as the mother that has committed to space travel but has difficulty cutting that responsibility to her earthbound daughter.
It's one of those films where so little really happens on a page turning action front but the humanist study is what it's all about and carries things along nicely.
Matt Dillon is also good fair and isn't just the yank to pull chains and her fellow potential travellers good. As is the supportive, in the main, ex and her free-willed daughter.
Oh and perhaps the biggest oddity here, of late, is choosing to include some nip shots of Eva's ample frontage for no apparent reason or need - something some US channels may struggle with later, should they buy the rights.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom