1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Provisional HTPC spec fill in the blanks

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.D, May 1, 2002.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Ok to hell with the case I'll make do with a bog standard one until I can come up with something nicer. Here's my initial spec feel free to point out any potential problems or alternative suggestions. This machine will be for the usual DVD playback duties and dscaling other sources via s-video ( PS2 Xbox SVHS digibox etc) Later I'll probably pop in another larger HD for jukebox duties.

mobo Asus TUSL2 (I've got an asus a7v in my other machine and its been great)
    PIII tualatin 1.13GHz ( my other machine is an athalon so fancied a change)
    512 PC133 ram (probably borrow a stick from my main machine initially might make do with 256M)

Radion VE (might want a dual headed DVI, VGA card but I want to avoid blowing a lot of dough on a card thats overspecc'd for the job)

sound card...( something reliable to simply pass digital to my reciever???)

liteon dvd drive ( cheap and does the job)
    falcon capture card ( seems to be the best for dscaler any others ?)
    40Gb HD (ata100 7200rpm 2MB cache type )
    decent wireless keyboard/mouse
    W2K Os ( I already have it on my other machine any reason not to)
    Theatertek dvd player
    ( usual bits and bobs powerstrip , dvdgenie etc)
    Quiet PSU (300W at least)
    quietPC coolers and possibly a HD quiet case too.

Future plans...dual head it :small TFT screen and the PJ ( ae100 initially). Jukebox duties , nice flash case ( buy or make) voice recognition system , off-board 200disc autochanger, cranial massager, closed loop display profiler and LUT builder.

ok I'm joking about the cranial massager but any suggestions or advice are welcome. Want to get the bits in the next few days as I'm getting busier all the time at work.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Keith: You and me both mate....I've just had a phone call from Melanie to tell me there are two large boxes in the hall....PC bits..I'll email you the spec I'm working with....It may be higher than you are looking at...I'm going a bit nuts I think compared to what I originally planned...

Jeff and John and Helipilot have been keeping me on the straight and narrow. If you want to save money though you could do as I was advised. That is to not use a Falcon. It seems there will be a new connexant chipset out soon and there will follow much more capable capture cards around summer. Jeff and John both suggested that although Falcon is best at present it still isn't that great and some folk still have video noise issues with them. They advised me to just get a cheap Pinnacle card to make do for a short term solution.

Anyway, I'm going to pour over sites for cases tonight. All else fails I'll be driving over to KustomPC in Ayr to look at the things in the flesh and work out which is most suitable for facia replacement.....

Let the fun commence!!!

Gordon

3. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto!!

At least I haven't bought a Falcon yet!!

The HCPC forum looks likely to get busier soon then :D

Good luck guys

Steve

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Cool thanks for the heads up on the falcon.
    I was tempted to go nuts and overspec it (what with being serious about spending 300quid on the case). Then I thought hang on a minute I only want it to do a few specific things so whats the point. Give it enough juice to handle dscaler and some decent components ( rather than the fastest ones). Keep it simple and easy(quiet) to cool. Small HD as a sytems disc initially and then get a larger drive for jukeboxing later ( possibly firewire as I have a mate with about 10000 albums who also uses his PC as a jukebox!)

Cheap nasty case initially then I'll look at my options ( like learning to weld!).
    I've got a gig of ram in my PC which I can't really justify ( I'm never in to put it to use) so I'll split it into the two machines. Initially I thought DDR but again its overspecmanship!

Then fritz about with girder and or talisman...great fun.

5. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    A cheapish case that looks a good possibility is the Suntek TH-68 series desktop

http://www.suntekgroup.com/amber.htm

If you scroll down the Suntek page you will see a picture that shows the left side 'curvy bit' of the front panel is removable.

It would be easy to replace this with a piece of flat alloy with a cutout for a display and some nice blue power/HD LED's etc.

Spray the rest of the case silver or black etc.

That's my plan if I ever get round to it.

The case can be found at www.dabs.com usually.

The one from Dabs that I bought is the Viper 682, quicklink number XC5WS.

It's the best desktop I could find at a reasonable price.

Good luck,

Mark G.

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Kryton is going through a bit or an overhaul at the mo, lots of exciteing stuff. I'll post details once I'm a bit further into the project and have had a chance to test it all. I'm very happy with the way the software build is going so far, as always I'm going down a slightly different direction to everyone else so it takes me much longer to sort any problems out.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Well thats me sorted just ordered all me gubbings.
    Spent a bit more money at quietPC too for cooling .
    went for the M-audio audiophile 24/96 by the way for the sound card.

Holding off on the capture card at the moment.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Anyone know of a cordless stylus and tablet ?

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Prontos are great for HTPC control