ProV Query....

theritz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've got an AE100 and I'm considering getting a ProV for tv/video.

I'm running a laptop fo DVD at the moment, but would also like the option of driving a dvd player through a ProV in the future.

My tv signal is via cable and is mostly clean, but the effect via composite on a 7ft screen is not great - grainy etc.

I would like to ask ProV owners what the effect on tv/video is like -

Does the ProV put out a true Pal progressive signal - 625p ?

How effective is it at "cleaning up" your tv signal ? does the de-interlacing process decrease the "grainy-ness" (should that be granularity !) of the image ?

What is the effect on image from VHS ?? I have a number of fav videos and would like to know if the ProV would improve the image quality?

I appreciate that there has been discussion of this piece of kit on the forum in the past, but I would appreciate any advice/comments specifically on its effect on tv/video.

Thanks,

Sean G.

Originally posted by theritz
I've got an AE100 and I'm considering getting a ProV for tv/video.

I'm running a laptop fo DVD at the moment, but would also like the option of driving a dvd player through a ProV in the future.

My tv signal is via cable and is mostly clean, but the effect via composite on a 7ft screen is not great - grainy etc.

I would like to ask ProV owners what the effect on tv/video is like -

Does the ProV put out a true Pal progressive signal - 625p ?

How effective is it at "cleaning up" your tv signal ? does the de-interlacing process decrease the "grainy-ness" (should that be granularity !) of the image ?

What is the effect on image from VHS ?? I have a number of fav videos and would like to know if the ProV would improve the image quality?

I appreciate that there has been discussion of this piece of kit on the forum in the past, but I would appreciate any advice/comments specifically on its effect on tv/video.

Thanks,

Sean G.

Sean,

cant answer any of those questions, but could'nt leave you neglected. Anyway this gives it a bump. Just cant help being a doogooder.

for the bump !

I guess either the ProV guys are not logged on or they're fed up with answering questions...but I really would like to know how it would go for tv or video..

Thanks again...

Sean G.

not got one personally but having been considering buying one..

its VGA out so not a video source like 480p/625p.. just standard VGA/SVGA/XGA.

I'd expect the quality to be improved since the image is being de-interlaced and upscaled in resolution.
the posts from previous threads seem to agree with this.

I'm almost sold on one myself, but since its a VGA signal and not a video signal, that means you lose the "just" mode on the ae100.
I dont watch films in this format, but its perfect for general TV viewing...

according to the latest lektropacks add, it looks like they are or will be selling something similar but with both VGA & 480p/625p output.

I think its this one... http://www.avtoolbox.com/tv-1200.htm

MartinCo,

Thanks for that..... I seem to have mixed up prog scan with VGA......Hmmmm.

I had hoped it would clean up a video signal, and would like to see one in action but haven't come across one here in Dublin.

The device in the link in your post looks like it would fit the bill, although it is an ugly looking piece of kit (!). I suppose I shouldn't care if it would do the business.

I wonder whether the tv tuner part of it would work with European tv signals - I assume it would given that the gizmo supports Pal (and that lektropacs are selling it). I'm also assuming that a multi-voltage transformer from Maplins or similar would do the trick.

Sean G.

it will output progressive scan VGA - best is XGA apparantly (1024x768)

I'd like to know if it supports true PAL progressive - i.e. 50Hz refresh. If it converts to NTSC first then I'm not so sure about it.

I'll probably get a philips 963SA in the end, so maybe I shouldn't be so worried about DVD playback, and it should be an improvment on normal TV (and PS2, video etc)

Still no response from ProV owners........?

Come on guys (or gals), give us the lowdown on ProV for tv/video.. you know you want to....

Sean G.

I have sky digital, and using the pro v makes a real improvement on the quality of the picture, didnt notice a great deal of difference with a dvd though

I use my proV for all of the svideo taht is switched from my amp, svhs, sky snd my samsung709 dvd, I think for £100-£150 it is a worthwhile improvement although I had bough mine before my ae100 turned up.

The jump from svideo to proV is like removing a translucent film from in front or th pj lens. I havent tried it with composite video or the rf input because I just use Sky or from the SVHS video. I did try my radeon based c1.2 pc with very basic set up using powerstrip for dvd and it gave at least as much improvement again as without the proV to with it. This is the way forward if convenience isn't an issue.

Thanks for that guys,

I think I'll get one - it should improve the tv/vid some way towards the quality of my dvd setup.

Thanks for the input, it will make a nice birthday pressie - now I just have to leave appropriately worded instructions !

Thanks,,

Sean G.

Yeah..
..sorry am late on this but the Pro v is excellent, my Sky picture is stunning It really is I`m amazed

I have a AE100 + ProV and I am not overly impressed. That said, I have NOT been able to to convert SCART to Composite or SCART to SVGA using the appropriate cables. Current set-up is:

DVD to ProV using SVHS cable.
Sky RF2 to ProV using RF cable.
ProV to AE100 using 10M SVGA.

DVD picture quality demolishes Sky.

Should anyone have sucessfully converted SCART to SVHS or Composite, please post details of how you achieved this. :eek:

BFPO cannot accept items exceeding 1.05M in length, so the picture is on a Matt white wall and looks fine:confused: from DVD. Blurry from Sky.

I have a Pro-V but my AE100 is still being repaired so I'm using it with a 17" monitor instead.

I'm very impressed with the results so far. Sky and DVD looks great in progressive XGA (1024x768).

I'm connected as follows:-

Sky Digibox > Scart Cable > JS RGB Scart-to-Svideo converter > S-Video Cable > Amp > S-Video lead > Pro-V > Monitor/Projector

Seahorse,

Why are you using RF????

It would only cost a fiver to use composite using a scart to phono adapter from www.keene.co.uk

or for fifty you could get an scart to s-video converter.

My JS RGB-to-Svideo converter was from John Sim's website, www.rgbtosvideo.com

It was 65 quid.

Have you tried using the Scart to phono adaptor on the video scart of the digibox????

I have a SCART to phono adaptor & have tried 2 different ones. I only get Black & White Picture using them

Have you gone into the digibox stup and selected rgb as the scart output?

also check try and get a switched scart to phonos adaptor...

gives you the choice of the signal direction (out obviously for this)... suppose you might have the wrong cable?

even a cheap £4 version from argos works fine so you shouldn't really have any problems.

missed the naples bit. lucky sod.

make sure you are plugging into the vcr scart, especially if you are using the first scart to go into your TV with RGB.

the vcr scart from the digibox just does composite.

if you want to leave this one connected to the video, you use the 2nd scart on your vcr if it has one to get both sky and the video out as a composite.

hi guys,

can't understand the problem with the scart to composite...... I got one from a bargain box in my dealers (for free), switched for input and output - it works just fine but UEFA matches were a treat save for that they looked like it was raining - still beats watching it on the telly - hands down !

Back to the ProV -- I'm still intent on getting one, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has a Video/XGA converertor from Lektropacs, see here : http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/product/technical.asp?dept_id=104&sku=585

(this gizmo looka very like the ProV. I am also very interested in the PC/Hdtv Tuner Box which is in Lktropks current ads in HCC and the like - I can't find it on their site but here's a link to the manufacturer (CYP) l:

http://www.cypress.com.tw/product.php?PId=60753&CId=001&CName=PC Multimedia/Scan Converters

My dealer does a lot of broadcast/vid standards kit and rates CYP.

According to the link the CYP gizmo does 2:2 pulldown, which is the real McCoy, if I remember a previous learned post relating to Pal Progressive DVD (Ithink it was a reply to Amelia's search for the perfect DVD player - I'm too tired to dig it out) .

Someone out there with either of these boxes - tell us all about it, please !

See ya,

Sean G.

agreed, the scart phonos thing should work very easily.

ITV's bitrate is very low so pixellated anyway... sky sports is better but no dice for UEFA games. if you're on cable, even worse.

the lekropacks link doesn't work btw... the £120 one presumeably? not sure if anyone has bought it here yet.

the cyp product that I mentioned earlier in this thread (plus the rgb scart to component box) are both in the lektropacks ad but not on the website yet - marked as coming soon for at least one of these though.

the cyp link doesnt work either - same specs at http://www.avtoolbox.com/tv-1200.htm

yes, the 2:2 pull-down on it is a big plus - the pro-v/ tv-4000 box doesn't do this (pretty sure)... only 3:2.

I like the fact that it says 480p/625p, but its not clear how it is doing these.. either by VGA or by a vga to component lead perhaps.

No joy. I have access to 3 SCART plugs each with 3 phono female connectors on them. Yellow for composite video, Red & White for sound. Obviously I am only connection to the video output.

I connect this to both of the SCARTS on Sky box & spare on the video. I can't even get a picture at all:confused: The SCARTS do work as I use them in reverse when putting PC output onto the TV.

Am I a brain donor...:mad:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony BRAVIA 9 Mini LED TV: The Best HDR TV EVER?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom