1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ProV progressive scan convertor any good for use with ptae

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chic, May 28, 2002.

1. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    avsales have this gizmo

on there site and I am wondering if it would be useful for us panny owners it shows the ptae on the page as well as have a good pdf file to read

what are everyones thoughts on this bit of kit

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi Chic. We saw this little box in action at the AV Sales projector shootout & I was, frankly, astonished at the performance. So much so that I've bought one! An s-video feed was considerably improved on both the Panny and the Epson TW100 when fed through the ProV. At the price, and considering it includes a tuner, remote control and a VGA pass-through, I reckon it's a bargain.

3. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    yep I am think about getting one to feed my ps2 & cable to the panny how many svhs inputs were there looks as if there is only one which is a problem for me

4. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Yep, one s-vid socket. You could of course just get a cheap s-vid multiplier or switch box from somewhere like Keene . Wouldn't cost much.

5. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    yep might do that just waiting on getting my panny back from panasonic due to a green dust blob which will nit shift using canned air I tried three times & koe from the media factory tried three times but it would shift it must be on the underside of the pannel how it got there I dont know:confused:

6. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    So that does make component feed from PAL (not progressive)
    redundant? Is the image of S-Video through one of these boxes better that component then? Also what mode does the panny display when hooked up to one of these? So many questions...

7. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi azzo. Well, I find I get a better image running my PS2 into the Panny via s-vid rather than component. Scaling just seems to suck on component. Regarding the mode the pj will use, it'll just see the resolution that it's given (VGA, SVGA or XGA depending on how you configure the ProV), report it as such, and then scale it to it's native res.

Gotta hate those green blobs chic...I had one of the buggers, but a good lens clean did the job. Phew!

8. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    tried cleaning the lens, blowing air over the panels but still no joy so hopefully panasonic will fix it this time, it was already back to them & they said they cleaned it but it came back just the same fingers crossed this time.

9. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have two green blobs. A pain I know but the way I see it, I'm gonna get many more and just can't be asked to get them sorted out every time. I'm sure if I sent it back every time I got one the machine would be out of my possession more than it is.
    As for the panny component, its not very good is it. I tend to get vertical waves across the screen on dark screens. This is not the case in S-Video or VGA, and the cables are very good, I can only attribute it to the panasonics bad handling.

Now has anybody tried using this gizmo working with a UK game cube with no bloody S-Video. What were they thinking of?

Azzo.

10. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Oh and another thing. If it reports VGA - SVGA etc, how does it cope with anamorphic widescreen? Does it still fill the whole picture? Thanx.

11. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All i wanna know is....Is this the second best connection before a PC???? It seems you need a masters in building pc and sussing the software out before you can even sit down and enjoy a film nowadays. I've dedicated half my life in audio software wasted half not writing any music!

Plssssss let this be the box i've been waiting for....!

Those damn green blobs ....got my panny back fixed and free from a green blob after 7 weeks..had it for 2 weeks now...& guess what! It's back! Yes this time it's bought it's family along..i have 3 developing at the perimeters..and a violating 4th near the viewing area. Tut!

12. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I sware those green blobs are aliens. Now, as you say is this box the box to help with all of our problems. I hope so, but I can't see it somehow. The panny manual says the only A1 picture is Wide 480 and VGA. Anything else will be using pannys crappy scaler. What it should give you is noise free and maybe a less grainy picture am I right. Do we still beed a PC for the best performance?

Azzo,

13. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    I know you will get dust using an lcd pj I have bought myself an air purifier to reduce the dust, the problem in this case most dust blobs are easily removed by taking the lid of the pj & blowing out the panaels but in my case it didnt work so the dust must be deeper inside the pj so hopefuly this time it will come back ok

14. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Did you not invalidate the warranty by opening the machine up?

15. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Blimey! Everyone's got the blob! Scary. :eek:

azzo - the ProV certainly isn't a HCPC-beater, but then, at £150 you wouldn't expect it to be. I have a HCPC, and I'm still buying a ProV. Why? Coz I still need to use s-vid for TV and console sources, and I was so impressed by the improvement in s-vid the ProV makes that I put my order in there and then. Don't forget, if you want TV & console stuff to go through the pj, then you're pretty much looking at s-vid (taking as read that component sucks). Sure, for TV you could get an internal tuner card, but I've personally never really gotten along with them. Besides, if you have digital cable/satellite, then realistically you're looking at an external box. You're dead right that this little scaler will improve picture by reducing noise & grain...I saw it & it definitely does.

My theory would be this....If you're currently using component or s-vid to the pj, then buying this box will improve your pq quite nicely. A HCPC is better for DVD pq-wise of course, but my ideal setup contains both of them. I'll keep the HCPC for DVD, and run all external sources through the ProV.

Regarding an anamorphic signal sent to the pj at VGA, this is where my brain is starting to fry just thinking about it. Bearing in mind that the pj won't be in wide 480 or 720 mode (just VGA), it will probably be better to send it the signal as non-anamorphic. But, to be honest, I'll need to try that when it arrives on Thursday.

Cheers,

Mark.

16. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    I have spoke to a fiew people who have spoke to panasonic & they have said no you dont but best to check your self it is very easy to open it up & if you dont chew the heads of the screws nobody will no that it has been opened up you only have to remove about 8 screws & the lid pops off it is not attached to anaything underneath you can then see the three pannels and you can use canned air to clean about them best to turn the pj on its side & ensure you dont invert the canned air so that no liquid gets in, this process removed the small dust blobs but not the main one which is bang in the centre of the screen if it was at the edge i would have left it

17. Porrm

Porrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh Dear!

I'm waiting for my AE100 to arrive and getting on with the mammoth task of converting our spare room into a cinema/music chill pad!!

I read lots of threads about component connections being the best bet so i went and ordered myself a Toshiba SD220.

If we are now saying that the component inputs on the Panny are CACK!! Have I wasted my time?

should I have kept my Panasonic A160 and used S-Vid?

Please say that component will be fine!

Porrm confused:confused: and sick of decorating:(

18. woody183

woody183

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this unit seems the bizz.I have the panny 100e and noticed that you only have 3 resolution's to chose from on this'gizmo'
    none of them match my panny,does this mean that the panny will do its own scaling anyway? If so what is the benifit of the 'gizmo'?

19. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Firstly component will be fine if you have a progressive scan DVD player. Even if you don't it will still be very good. Some people prefer the picture from component and some from S-video. The point of the ProV is to give S-Video , composite and general TV viewing a fighting chance at a reasonable price. I'm sure it will still use the pannys inbuilt scaler, but as I mentioned before with less grain and signal noise. I'm seriously considering buying one of these gizmons as I cannot be asked with a PC, even when its all working its still hastle.

Oh, and I'm no expert.

Azzo.

20. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    I would have thought that you'd keep your DVD player set to 16:9, so it outputs a squashed picture filling the whole of the 4:3 image. This then gets converted by the Pantene ProV to VGA, which goes into the PTAE100. You then expand this horizontally in the projector to get the proper wide aspect. I think you can still do this with computer inputs - you just lose the 'just' and 'zoom' modes.

21. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Surely converting to VGA will loose some resoultion?

22. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got one of these gizmos?
    Can't be bothered with that computer set up..upsets the feng shui of me house.. S-vid isn't so bad at the mo'...haven't got componet but it seems not so important anymore judging by the posts.
    Personally i think the fan noise is far worse than the pic quality of the panny..dunno about anyone else but my i have bats ears and it can spoil the movie when i hear it spilling through the quiet scenes. My eyesight is pretty darn good too..Also it's amazing what people "think" is a good pic quality..i mean i've seen many ppls set ups..to be frank i'm glad with my choice of settings but i wouldn't go as far as to say that s-vid is the best...just try to make the most of what you got...mind you, still fancy this gimzo :D

23. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi pinda. I'm expecting delivery of a ProV today. Will post details when I've given it a good thrashing.

24. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    couldn't of asked for a better reply.Mr. S:cool:

25. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    couldn't of asked for a better reply.Mr. S:cool:

26. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    You're welcome. You're welcome. :D

27. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there's loads of threads on avsforum about the same gadget, or at least OEM versions of the same... have a search for Viewsonic VB50.

general concensus seemed to be very good...

the unit does 3:2 pull down to do proper progressive scan, plus selectable resolutions of SVGA/ XGA.

some have argued that the picture for video/ laserdisc and others (dvd? not sure) is actually better than the Iscan Pro @ £700, since its converting to progressive scan AND scaling up to a bigger resolution.

the VGA output is a big plus also.

its not clear whether the ProV has the 480 wide mode that some of the other OEM versions have... would be a perfect match for the Panasonic if it did.

28. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    azzo, converting to VGA shouldn't remove any resolution, as DVD is recorded as a 4:3 image anyway. The widescreen part is after the image is horizontally stretched by your TV/projector.

It would be interesting to see if the ProV does do wide 480. I'd probably get one anyway for my TV/consoles, but then I could also try it with my current s-video only DVD player to see if its good enough to delay buying a component one until the PAL progressive situation is sorted out.

I'm assuming this handles PAL too.

Shockabuku, its over to you [/david frost]

29. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ditto, Shockabuku, sorry to put the pressure on, but were eagerly waiting a report on this gizmo. It'll save me loads a
    hasstle if I can make do without a computer.

MartinCo you mention some other OEM ones do have Wide480?
    Do you know which ones.

OK, so I'll just wait for a report on this one first.

Thanx Azzo.

30. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi all. Well, I had time to play with the ProV a little last night. So far, I've hooked up my PS2 via s-video into the box, had a bit of a play with the TV tuner, and tried out the VGA passthrough. Although there's lot's more to investigate, here are my initial feelings...

The Kit
    The box contains pretty much all the cables you need...including VGA. The only thing it doesn't have is a single plug to twin RCA so that you can output the sound from the TV tuner. I'll be picking one of those up today. The remote is excellent. Good range & fully featured. At no time did I have to get up to press any buttons on the ProV itself. It'll be integrated into my Pronto shortly. The manual is pretty comprehensive, although it referred to some tuner setup menu that looked different on mine. Probably a multi-region manual.

VGA Passthrough
    The first thing I wanted to prove was the VGA passthrough (this input isn't touched by the scaler in the ProV at all). The whole thing would be a moot point for me if my lurvely VGA image from my HCPC was degraded when routed through this box. I'm very pleased (and slightly surprised - I was using the supplied cable from my HCPC to the ProV) to say that there's pretty much no perceived degredation of the signal at all. At a push, perhaps there's a tiny softening of the image, but that's no bad thing imho. I watched Double Jeopardy all the way through, and the great New Orleans colours that film contains were looking as good as ever. Good start.

Resolutions
    A word on resolutions. The ProV can output VGA, SVGA and XGA. When using my PS2 on the widescreen setting, the Panny sees them as WIDE480, WIDE600, and XGA. Like I said, I haven't tried out DVD material via s-vid yet, but the best PS2 picture quality came from using the XGA resolution on the ProV. The other two resolutions showed an amount of aliasing & scaling artefacts. By no means terrible, but XGA definitely looked superior for the PS2 on my AE100. This is perhaps surprising, and I need to play around with a DVD input a bit...though having seen s-vid DVD through this box at the AV Sales shootout, I'm pretty confident it's going to look sweet.

Picture controls
    The picture controls (Hue / Contrast / Saturation / Sharpness / Brightness) have a wide range, so you can fine-tuning the pq for s-vid inputs and the tuner. One thing to note...do not set sharpness to 0! I did this before I had anything hooked up, and the picture was awful! Lot's of ghosting & horribleness. I had a panic & thought maybe it was a duff box, or I'd made a big mistake. I eventually put sharpness up by 1 and suddenly the pq was ok. That was one of those "Phew!" moments. In the end, I found a setting of 8 to be optimal.

Tuner
    Finally, the tuner. I'm only using a portable aerial in the HC room at the moment (planning on installing proper one this weekend before the England game!), so reception wasn't brilliant. However, the autotune function found the main 4 channels without any trouble. Picture quality was difficult to judge because of the reception problems, but it looks to have potential as a simple solution for TV-viewing on a projector.

Sorry there aren't more technical details in this mini-review, but I've only had a couple of hours with the box. Will report back on some more findings sometime over the weekend. First impressions are that I've spent my money wisely. Very pleased with PS2 image quality, and the convenience of the tuner is great.

Cheers,

Mark.