1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ProV as TV tuner

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bert Coules, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I've just been playing around with a ProV in combination with my Panasonic AE100.

Is anyone else using the ProV as a TV tuner? If so, is there a way of re-numbering and rearranging the channels after an autoscan? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but, as far as I can see, after deleting any weak or ghost channels you're left with, say, channels 7, 8, 11 and 13, which might well be BBC1, Ch4, BBC2 and ITV.

Surely there must be some provision for rearranging things?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Don't think you can. Wouldn't be a problem if you have a Pronto or similar as you can have that send the correct channel number. Bit weird if not though and very strange the way they have done it.

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Messiah,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's very odd; I wouldn't have thought that the additional software to arrange the saved channels would have been all that difficult to include.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

4. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there Bert,

I`m interested to know how you like the Pro v compared to how you were useing your Pj before ie/ composite.

Do you still use composite as the input to your Pro v?
    I havent noticed any way to change the channel numbers, I`m not too bothered but it does seem odd it jumps up to around 11 and 12. I tend to keep it to number 11 which is the Satlelite channel in my case.

I have the Pro v connected only from the aerial output of my digi box (it has 2) and I find the picture is absolutely brilliant ( I can get normal TV from here too. I think I`ve read here somewhere that the scart to S/vid leads are crap, hence my reluctance to purchase one

5. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Walter, all my tests so far have been during the day and with a less-than perfect blackout; I'll have a better idea of things after tonight.

However, it's already noticeable that there is a definite improvement in picture quality. I have a Panasonic digibox connected via its Scart output to the ProV's composite video in; and a Toshiba DVD player connected s-video to s-video (the DVD player has component out, but the ProV, as you know, doesn't have component in.)

I have found one drawback (though it might well not affect everybody.) As I've posted in another thread, using the ProV takes away the AE100's JUST picture format; the one which streches the edges of a 4:3 picture to fill a 16:9 frame, while leaving the centre of the image undistorted.

I happen to like that mode, and used it a lot for Sky's 4:3 material. The ProV offers a mode called V-SCAN, which is essentially a zoom - you get a 4:3 picture cropped at the top and bottom and not quite wide enough to fill the 16:9 frame. It's also degraded in definition.

Purely personal as I say, but I don't like it; and watching a 4:3 image, even on a big screen, looks all wrong if you're used to widescreen.

But the overall image quality - improved, no doubt about it.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

6. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh great Bert,
    I`m sorry I`m not much help regarding the just mode query, I`ve tried so many settings I can`t remember how to get them back. I think if you keep tinkering, as I do you may find it will come up with the just mode you like. Try inputting the Sky through the aerial input via your video out, I meant to check that for you earlier on, sorry I forgot, too engrossed in the movie. (I tried a Sky box office tonight)
    The problem I have is remembering as I say, to complicate matters I am useing HTPC as well and I keep changeing from one to the other and finding new things all the time. I guess I`ll have to start writeing them all down.

Keep trying and Good Luck

7. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Walter,

The biggest complication tonight is one I wasn't expecting: with my viewing room blacked out, the difference between the picture quality with and without the ProV seems to be much less marked, rather than more. I assume that in relative terms the direct picture benefits much more from the darkness than the enhanced picture does...

It makes meaningful comparisons a little harder to make.

By the way, I've now been told that with the AE100's PC (VGA) input, the JUST mode is totally unobtainable.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk