1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ProV and PTAE100 mismatch

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by spicy_fajita, Mar 15, 2003.

1. spicy_fajita

spicy_fajita

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I lost my last post (damn internet) so I'll keep this short. I have a PTAE100 that I got on Monday - very very pleased so far. I also received a ProV as I heard that it would improve the image. It did not. I'm runnnig it at 1024 and using composite and S Video inputs. I think it must be the resolution mismatch between device (don't know really??) but the image appears banded. With direct feeds the projection is fine.

I'm currently sending the ProV back (sent an email to av-sales) but wanted to let people know that in my opinion it doesn't improve picture quality but actually reduces it. Also, if anyone wants to reply to correct me as I may be using the thing wrong, and it could be a great piece of kit. But hurry, as the clock is ticking for the little device and soon it'll be flying home...(as long as av sales take it back).

Cheers.

Spicy

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The ProV is OK, that's about it, its de-interlacer is very poor.
    To reduce the banding, let your AE100 warm up for say 20 minutes and then go to the AE100 menu (when using the Prov) in the options menu (AE100) set pc priority to wide, then go to "position" and press enter on the Auto setup.
    This should help reduce the banding, but you may get it slightly better by manually adjusting the Dot clock and Dot Phase.
    Read page 36 in the owners manual.

Good Luck

3. spicy_fajita

spicy_fajita

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel bad for not trying this as I'm usually a stickler for reading manuals and things. :rolleyes:, but I just gave a quick flick over warnings and basic settings and then started the fun.

After careful examination and tinkering I've come to the conclusion that the image quality IS a little better and have decided to keep my ProV. I'm not sure its 120 pounds better but it is a cool little gadget and any image improvement is still improvement - especially on the terrible composite feeds, which at the moment is only the TV.

Cheers for the reply, much appreciated
    :smashin:

Spicy

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The biggest difference you will notice is after watching for a week or so, go back to without the proV and you'll beleive that its far more of an improvement than you do now.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Glad to be of Assistance :D

6. Steve D Green

Steve D Green

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found the same problem, although I did notice that PAL s-video source material suffered from it more.

NTSC laserdiscs were fine.

I sent it back in the end, and I've now gone the HCPC route, I've bought a shuttle, and a Nebula Digi-TV card (which also has a composite in and works with DScaler) The results are much better than the pro-v.

- Steve