Protein Powder can damage your pancreas?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by HaRd2BeAr, Aug 29, 2013.

1. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,817
    Hi guys and girls, after visiting my GP today she has told me that i shouldn't use protein shakes as it can cause damage to your pancreas and other internal organs.

Now i should add i ave no underlying health issues so this is a general warning i received. Also visited a nurse after who told me her son had been to the hospital twice due Pancreatitis. They thought it was due to drinking but he doesn't drink, he does have protein shakes however.

Are they just misinformed and maybe a bit old fashioned? The GP did also say that you don't know what's in them etc they can contain steroids but i have read what mine says on the label.

This is what i am currently using.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/100%25-Whey-Protein-Strawberry-2280g/dp/B000TUW19Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1377774072&sr=8-5&keywords=usn+100+whey+protein

It isn't something i have heard of before tbh and she has me worried i have been naive. :blush:

Thank you for any advice,

Aaron

2. qwerty321

qwerty321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    That's the second time I've heard this in a week. Although the other time I heard it, it was the Kidney's.

Anyone here that can shed more light on this?

3. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    Your GP has shown they haven't a clue about protein powders by stating that some contain steroids. What a load of rubbish. This is an odd misconception that some people have, but you'd think a doctor would know better.

If I were you I'd find a more knowledgeable GP that actually lifts and knows what lifting/protein etc is all about.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  4. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,817
    She said cause damage internally but specifically mention the pancreas.

I just want to be sure that she got her wires crossed tbh to put my mind at ease.

5. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    Technically if you're taking on much higher levels of protein and don't keep yourself hydrated then you can cause yourself a mischief, but as long as you drink water you'll be fine. Sack her off and get someone else.

6. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,817
    So excluding steroids, if i have bought a decent brand etc protein powders are ok to drink as supplements?

Cheers, it's just worrying when you have a doctor saying things to you like this.

I said to her that this is a well known brand and not something i have bought down the back of an ally ie no steroids in it and she still said that she doesn't think i should take them. The second lady didn't mention steroids but said her son takes protein supplements and has been to hospital twice because of pancreatitis which they thought was drink related bar him not drinking any alcohol.

7. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,817
    Thanks mate, i only take it as a post workout drink and i keep my fluids up.

Cheers,

Aaron

8. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +692
    If you have kidney issues doctors will usually adjust your diet to lower your protein intake but only IF you have kidney issues . there is no direct link to protein causing kidney issues. it can just make existing kidney issues a lot worse .

that will include proteins from all food sources. animal , dairy and vegetable

never heard of pancreas issues

9. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,706
    If this was in the slightest bit true then you wouldn't be allowed to drink milk or eat cheese. Whey powder is just a food stuff and is a by product of cheese manufacture.
    Obviously, like anything if you get silly and totally overdo it you can cause issues. But the same goes for something as simple as water

10. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,817
    Thank you guys, really put my mind at rest now, it wasn't something I have ever heard of but I wasn't really brave enough to argue with my GP:eek:

Many thanks,

Aaron

11. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    Unfortunately, MD's generally have little to no understanding of protein supplementation.

The fact, she told you, that protein powders contain anabolics is flat out embarrasing.

In this field, she sits a fair degree lower than the village idiot in terms of understanding of the topic.

There is no correlation in healthy human beings between protein intake and kidney function.

If you have failing kidneys , then many substances can cause failure or be problematic.

Over the last 15 years or so , there are literally dozens of studies, showing any correlation to be BS.

People have been taking protein supplements now for 40 + years, and yet despite the millions doing so, we are yet to see any correlation .

Cliff notes - It's BS and your doctor is basically uneducated and misinformed.

12. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    P.S.

If she mentions it again, politely ask her to point you to the study/data, as you want to read it.

As far as it relates to human beings, not on dialysis etc, she won't be able to find a study showing any organs are damaged from increased protein intake.

Not a single one.

She will have access to pubmed, there are something like 10,000+ protein studies available to choose from.

She won't be able to find a single one to support her claims.

Watch her mumble about "anecdotal" and "she knows a guy who knows a guy" or words to that effect.

You're gtg.

13. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    She is also clearly a non lifting phaggot..

14. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Paracetamol can kill if you are not careful.