1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

protective housing/jacket for canon XM2

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by YumiB, May 19, 2005.

1. YumiB

YumiB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I'm a relative newby about to purchase a canon XM2 to be mainly used on sandy, windy beaches (with and without tripod)...

1) what camera and lens protection would you recommend for these environments? - i've used a clear, plastic, freezer bag and insulating tape around the body of smaller cams but i want to be 100% sure the corrosive, salty stuff doesn't ruin this camera!

2) Is there a cheaper alternative to the jacket shown here?
    http://www.keepitdrycase.com/ewvcraincap2.html

thanks in advance for any answers

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Do a google for a KATA raincover, I reckon that will do the trick. Even so, I'd not go out on the beach with my XL1s on a windy day.

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't really see beyond Porta brace gear for this type of stuff, the rainslcker (rs-gl2) is water resistant (it will stand up to rain, you could not submerge the camera) lightweight and gives easy access to LCD EVF and controls. £170ish

It aint cheap, but look at any broadcast guys and you'll see the porta brace logo draped somewhere around them or their camera.

if you dont have laready (& if not why not) you should screw in a 58mm Skylight 1a filter, costing £12. It's clear glass and basically is there to be scratched or smashes, protecting your lens.

Rycote do wee windjammers for on board mics now, this will cut down the wind noise on the mic (the camera has a built in electronic filter, but it's crap)