• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Protective Film to prevent bike rack rubbing paint?

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
I use a Saris Bones bike rack which is great, as spring/summer has now arrived I want to start using it again and am a bit worried about protecting the paint on my car. Has anyone any experience of clear protective films than you can apply to the areas where the straps/hooks attach to the car? I never got any marks on my previous car using the rack but it was flat white paint which is notoriously good and not showing any light marks/scratches. But my new car is a bright metallic which are not so great in this instance.

Any thoughts?

PS: I really want aero bars and roof mount but simply cannot afford them this year.

gangzoom

Distinguished Member
Keep you eye out on eBay(or similar) for some used roof bars/mount. I picked up a whole set for less than the cost of x2 tanks of fuel. The condition of the kit was virtually new as well, I think the previous owner must have used only a handful of times.

Once you get use to locking mechanism it literally takes about 30 seconds to get the bike on/off the rack...must easier than messing around with hooks/straps or worry about getting mud/water over the boot/rear seats.

It's also pretty secure/quite, its only when the speedo is close to showing 3 figures the extra wind noise becomes noticeable.

9314777943_2181284110_z.jpg

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Have a google for copter tape. I use this on my bike to stop scratching from a bike seat and cables.
I should add, I have never tried to remove it though!

Also have a look at armour fend.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom