Protective Film to prevent bike rack rubbing paint?

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a Saris Bones bike rack which is great, as spring/summer has now arrived I want to start using it again and am a bit worried about protecting the paint on my car. Has anyone any experience of clear protective films than you can apply to the areas where the straps/hooks attach to the car? I never got any marks on my previous car using the rack but it was flat white paint which is notoriously good and not showing any light marks/scratches. But my new car is a bright metallic which are not so great in this instance.

Any thoughts?

PS: I really want aero bars and roof mount but simply cannot afford them this year.

Keep you eye out on eBay(or similar) for some used roof bars/mount. I picked up a whole set for less than the cost of x2 tanks of fuel. The condition of the kit was virtually new as well, I think the previous owner must have used only a handful of times.

Once you get use to locking mechanism it literally takes about 30 seconds to get the bike on/off the rack...must easier than messing around with hooks/straps or worry about getting mud/water over the boot/rear seats.

It's also pretty secure/quite, its only when the speedo is close to showing 3 figures the extra wind noise becomes noticeable.

9314777943_2181284110_z.jpg

Have a google for copter tape. I use this on my bike to stop scratching from a bike seat and cables.
I should add, I have never tried to remove it though!

Also have a look at armour fend.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom