Protection when buying on the internet...

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst I'm not new to buying on the internet - been doing it for years, most of my buying these days is done through either eBay or Amazon. If I do buy through other sites I try to use Paypal as much as possible as it's great not only for purchase protection but also means I don't have to enter my card details into so many places.

Now, in this particular case, I'm looking to buy a particular pair of boots, that is out of stock in most normal channels (ebay, Amazon, etc) but with a bit of Google searching I've found a range of sites that have them in stock, varying in price. The cheapest of which is Boots : Men's Shoes : Sneakers, Sandals, Loafers & More | Deals.salestodays Harley Davidson Shoes - Boots Paxton Black (black)

Never heard of them. Can't seem to find any info about them either (trustpilot, etc) but they've got the boots I want, in stock, at a very good price (£42 delivered - other sites range from £80, £100, £120). Now I don't have a credit card, so I'd be needing to create and account with the site and buy using Visa Debit. Am I protected in anyway or am I at risk of being fleeced if it turns out to be dodgy? Granted it's "only" £42, but I'd rather not lose £42 and one thing I hate more than anything is someone getting away with my money by scamming or not fulfilling services etc. I'd like to take the punt on saving £60-£80 but would prefer if I had some protection in place should they simply take the payment and then never send anything and never reply.

Last edited:
Looks dodgy to me.

Just looks like the front end of a search engine crawling for prices around the web (I didn't click on any of the links - not going to risk it).

Oh, and you probably won't be covered if you enter all your card details in dodgy site.

I would keep searching well known (R)etailers until you find what you want. Perhaps place a stock enquiry/pre-order with them?

I was thinking the same thing, which is why I like to use Paypal (which is great when sites support it for paying directly from bank account or debit card, and not just balance) as I'm covered. I don't fancy putting my card details in that site. I went and clicked through it a little more after posting this and noticed this

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 02.55.45.png

"How to payment" mentions three kinds of payment accepted - the only lists two. And then encourages Western Union by offering a discount. I think that's enough to seal the deal the website is not legit.

For a kick off you can’t pay by your chosen method (debit card) and secondly on my mobile browser the site smacks of amateurism.

I personally wouldn’t touch them with your bargepole never mind mine.

That site is so dodgy. If there is no real world postal address and phone number do not use it. That site does not have those details.

Contact page has zero details/information on it

Looks like the site was knocked up in someones lunch break.

If you are not satisfied with our product,you must contact us within a week.All items sent back to us must be in original condition i.e.not worn,altered or washed,with all tags attached.You should pay the shipping fee and we will charge you 20% of your order amount as our restocking fee.

Anyone charging you 20% return fee plus you pay the shipping returns to god knows where - usually a good sign that it's not legit.

I don't think the returns policy is anything to be concerned about when they are just going to steal your money and not ship anything.

As ever, the rule with sites like this is that if you have to ask if it's a scam, then it's a scam.

My rule of thumb with online shopping is if it's too good to be true, then it usually is.

No SSL on the payments page where you put in your CC details. I'd not touch it.

WhoIs lookup has this info:
Domain Name: SALESTODAYS.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2321613939_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.west263.com
Registrar URL: 西部数码-云服务器、虚拟主机、域名注册16年老牌云计算服务商!
Updated Date: 2018-10-15T13:19:22Z
Creation Date: 2018-10-15T09:00:44Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-10-15T09:00:44Z
Registrar: Chengdu West Dimension Digital Technology Co., Ltd.
Registrar IANA ID: 1556
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: 86 28 627788770
Domain Status: ok EPP Status Codes | What Do They Mean, and Why Should I Know? - ICANN
Name Server: CURT.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
Name Server: LOLA.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form | ICANN
>>> Last update of whois database: 2018-11-30T10:18:08Z <<<

Last edited:
I think you guy’s had confirmed what I already suspected - and that’s before I got to maddy’s post! :laugh:

As I also suspected, they’re a discontinued product hence showing out of stock everywhere - I contacted one (genuine) store, as well as an eBay seller) who both confirmed so. Typical luck really...

This says it all really, from their About Us link:

With Our Store, You Can Quickly and Easily Discover:

5. The best customer service that you have never got.

:rotfl:

There are loads of these fake Chinese sites. It's really not hard to spot them....it must just be because I am an internet fake finding god. Or have a tiny amount of common sense.

Granted it's "only" £42, but I'd rather not lose £42...

...would prefer if I had some protection in place should they simply take the payment and then never send anything and never reply.
This should have been the least of your worries.
What do you think they would have done after you gave them the 16 digit number, expiry date & 3 digit CVV number from your card? :facepalm::laugh:

Hence why I like to pay with Paypal wherever possible rather than sticking my card details into places I shouldn't be.

Just used Apple Pay (on Mac, not in store) for the first time (on another site) and it was great - everywhere should take it. Much better. Didn't even have to fill out my name and address; it did it all for me.

As was pointed out by Maddy, they have been satisfying customers for many years, from a website registered just over a month ago...

Hence why I like to pay with Paypal wherever possible rather than sticking my card details into places I shouldn't be.

Just used Apple Pay (on Mac, not in store) for the first time (on another site) and it was great - everywhere should take it. Much better. Didn't even have to fill out my name and address; it did it all for me.
Agreed. The Apple Pay integration is very slick. And it’s nice knowing you don’t actually transfer or share your actual payment details ever. My first payment of choice and I sign the transaction with my biographic data.

As was pointed out by Maddy, they have been satisfying customers for many years, from a website registered just over a month ago...

Good thing I asked here then, as there was loads of stuff I missed! But you know when you just have a feeling it's not right... Another site that came up on my search wasn't massively dissimilar, but came off looking a little better. But then when you click the "links" at the bottom of the page for their social media (the little squares for Facebook, Twitter, Google etc, it simply redirected to the main page of that site. So that site got binned too. In the end, I ended up ordering from an actual Harley-Davidson store, one that has a physical address, phone number, Facebook page, customer reviews, etc. Shame still no PayPal or Apple Pay though - yet another website I'm likely to only buy from once but have to create an account and inter payment info.

Agreed. The Apple Pay integration is very slick. And it’s nice knowing you don’t actually transfer or share your actual payment details ever. My first payment of choice and I sign the transaction with my biographic data.

Very easy. I just clicked the Apple Pay logo and it filled everything in, and then my phone asked me to authenticate with my fingerprint. Job done! Aside from using my phone for contactless purchases in-store, I've also used the Apple Pay option when ordering at Wetherspoons, and that's also very slick!

I hope you used the Wetherspoons app and had your drink delivered directly to your table.

Absolutely - even though we were sitting about 3 metres from the bar at the time

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom