Question Protection Mode

helloall

Established Member
Reaction score
These questions bug me for a while....does someone have any thought?

I had an ARCAM AVR connected to a BOSE 5.1 The unit was later replaced with a new one due to fault (yes, ARCAM was that good). When I ran room EQ with the new unit for the first time, the LFE test signal created an unusual loud noise and the AVR shut down. I lowered the volume control on the subwoofer a bit and re-ran room EQ. Everything was fine. I never had a single problem in the few years afterwards.

Questions:
- Why was the loud noise created? I didn't encounter such an issue with the old AVR.
- For LFE, the AVR pre-out to the subwoofer and the power amp of the AVR was not used. Why did protection mode kick in on the AVR?
- The auto-EQ set the LFE volume at +7. This was probably larger than the small adjustment I made on the subwoofer to lower its volume. But I didn't get any problem playing loud movies. Why was that?

Very curious...thanks...

Last edited:
I unplugged the AVR360 today to change to an aftermarket power cord. Something strange happened afterwards:

1. I use an OPPO to play some movies from a hard disk. Now when I stop a movie, the AVR360 will automatically mute, as if I clicked the mute button on the remote.

This sounds a good feature but I never experience it?? Is it what the AVR750 owners mention that the AVR goes into mute when it detects a silent note/change in codec?

2. The ARC function seems to work all in sudden. The TV and AVR did not talk to each other beforehand.

And I have never updated any firmware

Arcam gremlins - you will go mad trying to work out the vagaries of Arcam kit that defy rational explanation

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom