1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Protection mode" always on on pioneer a-8

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dowd, Feb 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dowd

dowd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pioneer a-8 that I bought second hand. I have had it a couple of years now and has always worked fine, till last week when it just stopped working in the middle of playing some music at a normal volume. It now just stays on it's "protection mode". i tried hoovering it as it was very dusty and tested the two fuses i could see but it still won't go out of it's protection mode. Has anyone any idea what might be wrong and how it might be fixed? Thanks Dowd 8)

2. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    check your speaker wiring....

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Yes, the most common cause of this is a short in the speaker cabling.

I had a similar problem with my SR7400, I thought the amp was faulty, I checked the speaker connections and there were no shorts there. So after a long process of elimination, I tracked it down to one dodgy cable. What was strange was that it was working fine for months before hand, it just suddenly developed a fault :confused:

Anyway, once I changed the cable, everything was fine again.

Best way to go about it is to disconnect ALL speakers from the amp end, and reconnect each one, one by one, switching the amp on after each connection and upping the volume to see if it appears.

You should also check the amp with all cables disconnected, if the protection mode appears then, then looks like the amp is faulty :(

4. dowd

dowd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. Yeh the first thing i did was to disconnect all the cables and the protection mode still came up!