1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

protection circuit cutting in?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cartmin, May 16, 2005.

1. cartmin

cartmin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all :hiya:

Looking for opinions as to the cause of the above .... I have a Kenwood 5050 reciever ( happy with the quality, but lacks the effortless power for peaks ) ..... so there I was giving my parents a demo of the new pj with the star wars beginning (THX exploding glass ball ) ....all lovely and dandy until click .... the amp shuts itself off ....was running about -30db ... now is it likely to be the amp running out of puff or the amp detecting the speaker coils having a hard time ...if so because of the amp 'clipping' or just too much for the speakers ? Speakers are a mission and kef set up as described in my signature ....with no wiring faults .....thoughts please ?????

best regards

Cartmin

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    First thing to do is double check wiring faults. Those Mission speakers are fairly easy to drive so I can't imagine there being any problems at ~30dB. :)

3. cartmin

cartmin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the quick reply John ...defo no wiring faults .... - 30 db on this amps scale is pretty loud though :D

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  5. DVDANDY

DVDANDY
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi

most likely to be the amp i had the same problem i had a pioneer vsx d812 it sounded pritty good but was always say overload and shutting off had the amp for a year sent it away to be repaired they could not find anything wrong with it in the end chucked it in the bin. i no its not the same model or make even but from what you discribe sounds the same

6. cartmin

cartmin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Played the same piece again at the same volume and nothing happened ...perhaps the amp hadnt warmed up enough ? ... dont know to be honest ...seems to play loud bits for an extended period fine but anything with a quick peak seems to catch it out ? :eek:

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Seems odd, have you had the same problem with other material then? And does the amp have enough ventilation?

Sorry for just turning up with more questions but it's the only way to get to the bottom of it properly. :)

8. cartmin

cartmin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Never had this problem at that level before ..... had a party or two and drove the amp hard .... with cd.... and it did the same :rolleyes: ...thanking god it did in the morning ...but never on a movie !

Perhaps I just need an amp that can deliver that effortless power whenever needed with ease ( not talking watts .... know enough for that rubbish ) .... just that sort of 'ooomph' a higher calibre of amp can deliver ....my brother has an old Yamaha A2 ... you can tell the difference during the demanding stuff .... even at lower volumes ...seems to be all about the delivery .... someone tell me they know what I mean ...lol ... :suicide:

9. cartmin

cartmin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    anyone ?