Protecting your investment

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Monk888, Aug 3, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Monk888

Monk888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,

After the recent events with electrical fires reported in the press, and someone I know who's house burnt down due to cheap electrical power strips, I think it's time to get a decent power strip with mains conditioning and surge protection.

I looked at Belkin surge protection, but the electrical engineers (IEE members, Msc in electrical engineering bods) at work indicated (once they had stopped laughing at el cheapo Belkin) they would not be suitable for expensive equipment and probably just catch fire, ok for a cheap PC not expensive LCD TV and HiFi equipment, they suggested I look at Olsen.

Anyone got any suggestion ?

need to protect 32" Sony LCD + Amp + Naim CD, High end DVD player total equipment cost £4000

Downstairs 37" Plasma + DVD recorder

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  3. Emjay111

Emjay111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well Belkin do offer many £K of insurance cover with their products. There are some catches to this of course.

Firstly, they have the final word on whether their surge protection device should have prevented your product from damage.

Secondly, you are responsible for shipping any defective items to them (not a prob with a small ADSL router but a big problem with a plasma).

Thirdly, if you read the small print that is supplied with the products, they have a lot of get out clauses in there. I seem to recall that as well as the damaged product, you have to return the surge protector that it was connected to, along WITH the original packing !

At the end of the day, some surge protection is better than nothing - particularly if you live in the country where your mains supply is fed via overhead cables. These are a lot more prone to lightning strikes than the buried cables found in towns and cities.

No surge protector is going to help if you get a direct hit close to your home. They really only come into effect when a nearby sub station has a "blip" for fraction of a micro-second, or a lightning strike occurs many, many miles away.

Most plasma sets have a really decent mains conditioner built into them, mainly to stop switchmode PSU hash getting back onto the ring main, but it does help incoming spikes as well.

I'd be happy with a decent Belkin - it's better than nothing. You may find that your household insurance also covers against things of this nature if you have optional accidental damage cover ?

4. nudge

nudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Or you could pop into my local comet where i felt i had to intervene the other day. their latest thing is a display stand with a 'monster' branded surge protected/noise reducing multiway block on it with a mains noise generater box that you can 'adjust' the level of noise on. there were 3 salesmen giving an elderly couple a really hard time trying to get them to buy one and talking all sorts of nonsense. i have something similar myself and think they are a good idea, however the 'monster' one they were trying to force onto this couple was £150....

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Everytome i see one i crank it up to max and watch the displays dance :smashin:

6. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Get an IsoTek Mini Sub mains conditioner £550
    Spike/surge protecting, mult-state filering etc. All outputs are isolated from each other to prevent noise being generated by one source device feeding back into your other kit (i.e. star earthing). 25yrs warranty too.