Protecting amp and speakers from 'abuse' from kids.

mordzy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All. Just a bit of background. Following a (still in progress) living room rip out and re plaster I'm at the stage following decorating to fit all furniture at and im contemplating my next set up.

I purchased some time ago a new TV (LG OLED evo C2 65') which is still in its box, along with a Marantz amp (NR1711) to replace my old Denon and some new 5.1 speakers. (Cambridge Audio Minx MIN22). Previous set up was a Denon 1912, Tannoy 5.1 speaker system and a Samsung D8000. All running from a Logitec Harmony Elite remote.

I had planned on keeping my Tannoy speakers but my step son destroyed two of them playing his music (airplay to Apple TV to amp) too loud. much to my annoyance.

Also, my missus found the Harmony too complicated. Despite numerous training sessions she couldn't get her head round the touch screen option to turn on the required device (TV, Xbox, Apple TV. Wii) and then use the physical keys.

So, as per my title. I wondered what the best way to protect the equipment its. Initially I had hoped to set up as it was before but I dont want to go through another set of speaker and I dont think the amp has a maximum volume restriction like some amps to protect the small satellite speakers. My thoughts are to plug the amp and sources id like to use via the amp and to plug the rest directly into the TV. Give the missues/kids the tvs remote as its a fully functioning smart tv. I also thought about adding a smart socket to protect people 'messing about' to get the amp on when im not there. Just feel it will be a bit messy and confusing if say me and the missus want to watch Netflix and she goes to the TV app where as id be switching on the amp and using the Apple TV to get the surround sound.

Id be interesting to know any thoughts and suggestions as to the best way or what other people have done. I appreciate some will say that its better to teach the kids, or don't touch blah blah. but as a backup to when that doesn't work (which it invariably doesn't) id like to protect what ive saved my hard earned to buy.

Cheers.

The NR-1711 has a maximum volume limit setting just like your AVR-1912 did.

On the Marantz, go into settings-audio-volume.

I've used this a lot, mostly for when people think they're funny on the same network playing sounds/music to the AVR - they can't increase the volume.

(Until I decided to put all guests on a guest network!).

Ah great. Couldn’t find it on the 1912. How do you find teens trying to navigate the settings to override it?

With you on the guest network, I have a kids SSID that just blocks communication with other AirPlay devices for the same reason as you.

While what you have suggested sorts out a couple of issues, how do you suggest the remote / input issue? I struggle explaining that ‘if you want to watch the (insert device) turn on the tv, the amp and turn the input dial to whatever you want’. For whatever reason this seems to confuse people to the point where they moan about it. I’m all for simplification but it’s not like it’s any more complicated than using an oven. 😬

On my old setup, using the hdmi on the tv with arc turned on the amp when the tv was turned on. I removed it because if the apple
Tv came out of standby for some reason it would flip the input to that. Not sure if that’s directly related but changing to hdmi2 on the tv stopped that.

While what you have suggested sorts out a couple of issues, how do you suggest the remote / input issue? I struggle explaining that ‘if you want to watch the (insert device) turn on the tv, the amp and turn the input dial to whatever you want’. For whatever reason this seems to confuse people to the point where they moan about it. I’m all for simplification but it’s not like it’s any more complicated than using an oven.

It may not help but I'll tell you what I do. Other users in the house only use Sky.

In the morning, I power on Sky with Sky remote, then power on TV and Denon with Denon remote (it has learning, so works the TV). I do it and I'm there every morning. They know how to use the Sky remote and that works the Denon's volume.

We have only two other devices. A disc player (only I use this for special viewing, so I'm always there and the Denon learning remote works it) and a Firestick 4K Max which we only have because it supports Atmos for streaming. If they stream without me there they use the apps in Sky.

I turn it all off at the end of the day.

Man that’s a ball ache. I don’t have any subscriptions. I just don’t watch ‘tv’that much. It’s all disk based plus some experimentation with webrip bdrip playback. The missus/kids use Amazon video and Netflix.

I think I’ll proceed with the amp only controlling sources I’d use and give them the remote for the tv for the apps built into the tv and digital tv. Implement the volume limit and block airplay from kids Wi-Fi to the marantz.

Are there any issues with audio being passed to the tv. Let’s say I watch a film via the amp, and the audio also comes out the tv’s speakers as well as the amp speakers?

I recall on my old set up that the volume of the tv would remain at the previous inpunt volume and you’d have to turn it back down. I presume there’s an option to send only video from the amp to the screen for this reason?

Thanks for all the help. Suggestion 👍🏻

I believe they're called condoms.

Personally if I had kids the cinema room would have a lock on it, and I only I have the key.

I believe they're called condoms.

Personally if I had kids the cinema room would have a lock on it, and I only I have the key.
Thats a retrospective solution. And if i'd taken it, i'd have the cash for a separate cinema room (which I clearly now need) and not be doubling up as the lounge :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom