Protecting a MBPr

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by tony cosgrove, Jun 23, 2015.

1. tony cosgrove

tony cosgrove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Hi guys, I've just recently bought a brand new MBPr 15" (May 2015) and absolutely love it, it's my first Mac although I have an iPhone 5S, been a windows user for years current laptop is a Sony vaio 17" screen.

Anyway I'm curious as to what people use to protect their MBs and notebooks etc?

I bought the MBP mainly for the screen inc size and the keyboard (don't really need the power to be honest) and love the look of the thing however I know that it's going to get into a bit of a state if my old laptop is anything to go by but the thought of covering the keyboard and screen and using some sort of shell for the case just doesn't appeal to me but I'm slowly coming round to the fact that I'm going to have to use something or other, I've looked about and frankly I'm not impressed with what's out there so would really appreciate some advise/help/pointers.

I won't be taking the MBP out of the house or if I do it won't be for long, maybe the odd weekend here and there but not to go abroad and sit about a hotel pool or lounge sort of thing, I just want to have something elegant to protect the notebook without really taking away from the design of the product and nor do I want to use something that will detract from the excellent keyboard or screen so something sympathetic is really what I'm looking for.

I'm getting a bit paranoid about things like dust on the screen and the possibility of damage even when the laptop is just closed and charging, I'm also getting really anal about the connectors making the chassis:eek: when I remove them.

Or do I just use and enjoy the thing without worrying that it will eventually look done in?

God, I should have just bought a cheap windows laptop to stop all of this fretting:facepalm:

My wife thinks I'm bonkers BTW:p

Thanks

Tony

2. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I just kept my MBP really clean, used baby wipes and a microfibre cloth on the screen, nearly everyday, the keys, i just made sure nothing like food or drink got near them,.
    Just basic but quite frequent housekeeping!!
    Same sort of thing as my phone really, never have it in a pocket with something else in it, just keep an eye out.
    My imac keyboard now dosent work as a TINY bit of milk went on it, and now i clean it out, and the keys keep going haywire.
    I reckon just be a bit aware of it, also for resale purposes.

3. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    A cheap camera lens blower works wonders - bits, dust, etc. are easily removed from the keyboard, screen corners, etc.

4. tony cosgrove

tony cosgrove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Thanks guys, yes I have stopped eating whilst using the MB and I've started cleaning the screen and chassis (never ever bothered with the old Sony LOL) almost every day, helpfully Apple included an Apple branded microfibre cloth with the MBP:D so I only use that.

Will have to buy a sleeve of some sort though just for some sort of soft protection when the MB isn't being used.

Tony

5. tony cosgrove

tony cosgrove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    BTW, meant to ask how does one keep the track pad clean? Mine is pretty clean but in a certain light I see that there is a very faint staining of the track pad from my fingers obviously, doesn't look terrible but seeing as I appear to be developing some form of OCD it would be good to know how to clean it properly without damaging it:D

6. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    you can get stickers that of course are very thin compared to other solutions (plastic shells etc) and that should help protect from scratches that i reckon would be the majority of issues a macbook gets in my experience... unless of course you throw it around and drop it etc...

I used to just chuck mine into my camera bag as it has a slot for laptops but now I am putting it into a sleeve (neoprene/cloth) first and then the camera bag as it can still get scratched in the bag if a pen or bit of camera gear gets near it...

i guess if you use the plastic film sticker on it that would prevent most types of scratches from device to device contact

7. tony cosgrove

tony cosgrove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Thanks, any suggestions/links for the sleeve and stickers?

I bought a really nice leather sleeve in the classifieds but unfortunately the zip on the sleeve is metal/brass and the opening is just a wee bit too small for the MBP although I can put it in the sleeve I have to squeeze it through the zip so the sleeve will have to go (probably re-list it) as no doubt over time I'll scratch the MPB using this sleeve.

This looks decent Snugg™ Macbook Pro 15 Case - Leather Sleeve with Lifetime Guarantee (Black) for Apple Macbook Pro 15: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Scratch that apparently it's plastic.

Tony

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  8. Storry

Storry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just out of interest Tony, which spec MBP did you go for?

I'm looking at selling my desktop and picking up one of these in the near future

9. tony cosgrove

tony cosgrove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
  10. christam

christam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Not sure if you're still looking but for external protection I can't recommend the Speck shells highly enough. They add hardly any weight or bulk but do give good protection to all that lovely aluminium. My 15" MBP is still pristine after 3+ years.

11. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    I bought one of these for my 13" MBPr...not sure if they do a 15" version but it's a lovely quality sleeve with no zips or anything. Perfect for dropping a laptop in before throwing it in a bag.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181764811424?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

12. MartinPickering

MartinPickering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    As I use my MBP mostly at home. it's permanently connected to an external monitor, keyboard, mouse and USB hub. I have the lid open an inch, keyboard protected with "clingfilm" and a 60 cm fan blowing air between screen and keyboard.

13. MacrosTheBlack

MacrosTheBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +558
    Just weighing in here....

Had my MBPr 2012 since the August release that year. Still in amazing condition and I've used it in the house and out and about for work too. For transporting I have a lovely microfibre lined corduroy sleeve that I slide it into and then put in my rucksack. Just have a search online for a good sleeve if you need to take it out and about.

Otherwise at home I'm happy to leave it naked and enjoy it without any case getting in the way and ruining it's look.

Cleaning, yes, a little air duster machine or can of air spray is great for blowing away dust. But please don't use any baby wipes or cleaning fluids on it! No need!! Just get some quality LINT FREE microfibre clothes (by quality I don't mean the cheapo ones that do leave bits of lint everywhere grrr). Then simply damp one cloth to wipe down (turn the Macbook off recommended) and then dry with another. Nothing a damp microfibre cloth can't clean up IMHO.

As and when the clothes are dirty you can just wash them. Don't use fabric softener and tumble drying is best as it keeps them nice and soft (same for towels).

14. tony cosgrove

tony cosgrove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'm still using the MBP naked as it were however my daughter got a 13" MBP retina (April 2015) for a birthday present (I bought it in the classifieds on behalf of her boyfriend) and my wife bought her one of these below which are really nice (there's an issue with the magnetic catch apparently shutting down the MBPs) so might buy one for myself however they are pricy.

http://www.apple.com/uk_epp_5005473...4ca8ab66422d8d718ea7b1fa7a857b48b854a7dd03c67

Tony

15. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467