1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protecter????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dr Lecter, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Dr Lecter

Dr Lecter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, i have got a Sony STR-DB930 receiver. For some unknown reason when i listen to a DVD in DD or DTS the receiver trips and shows PROTECTER flashing on the display. First of all i thought it might be a speaker wire short somewhere i have checked the wiring and all seems to be ok. The receiver is working ok in 2 channel. It only happens when the volume control is past number 3.
    Thanks John

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont know the sony at all......but maybe the speakers you are trying to drive are presenting too much of a load. Does it actually trip out?

ad

3. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had this with another sony amp. it turned out to be a slight crease in some flat speaker cable for the surrounds, only showed at volume try disconecting centre and surrounds one at a time to find culprit, good luck.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    yep, down to a faulty speaker cable somewhere......i got this problem once, when my centre speaker was disconnected and my missus put on dvd, with 5.1 track, and ovisously when the sound kicked in, my amp showed "protector" as the cables for the centre speaker was touching each other.