1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prosumer DV cam question

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Griffin, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Griffin

Griffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have prosumer DV cams & if so can you let me know if the size & quality of screengrabs can be compared to say for example a 3mp digital camera ?

I'm looking for a decent camcorder that I can take screengrabs off the footage rather than a digital camera (already have a DSLR), as with tape you can pick the particular image you want rather than a photo taken with a camera.

TIA

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    I've got the great Sony TRV-900 camcorder and the screen grabs are no where near as good as shots from my Canon S30 3mp digicam and AFAIK they never will be as the resolution of the video image is set by the PAL format.

Mark.

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats the eventual application of the grabbed frames?

The resolution will be low (about .4 MP).

What model of SLR do you have?. It might be better to invest in a high speed compact flash card and shoot at the cameras highest frame rate (most cams internal ram will fill up after around 10 full res shots, the faster your card the more quickly they free up so can effectively keep shooting at the highest frame rate).

This will give you less felxibility than with video, but will give you a huge quality advantage.