Prospective projector buyer can't decided TV vs Projector! Help.

mathew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Probably asked 1 million times here before

but I can't decide, I just got paid so now it's time to purchase.

I want a display device for my lounge, light can be easily controlled when it needs to be for films etc, but how good are projectors in normal use, i.e. normal for me is curtain closed and perhaps a couple of small lamps on (40w), I never have ceiling bulbs on.

I know the projector will suffer when not in complete darkness, but how are they for general use for times where there will be some light?

The projector I'm considering is the Panasonic AE-500 at £1,000 from Komplett

The TV is was looking at was the Thomson 32Wb643 for £750 from unbeatable (does prog scan, some hdtv standards, hi-pix, component in, etc).

I wouldn't want to spend loads on a screen, I know they are important but my pockets have limits, so I'd probably go with a huge piece of MDF painted and screwed to the wall and some black border.

What do you think?

The projector is tempting, I know films are likely to be allot more immersive with one, and If I move house, which I probably will do in a couple of years, they are allot more portable than a 70kg TV!

Remember this will be my only display device apart from my pc which has a digital tv card, so really i'm wondering how practical projectors are for general use, i know they are allot better for films, but for an all rounder is a tv better?

the room will never be flooded with light, i prefer my lounge pretty gloomy..

Thanks.

Projectors give you the most bang for you buck but they I would not use my as a TV replacement. Just my opinion although plenty of people on here use them as a TV !

Having said that I know what I would spent the £1000 on and it aint the TV :)

maybe it tilts things in the direction of the projector if i say i don't watch that much tv really, i don't have sky, and i'm quite into films.

would prolly use a cheap prog scan dvd to the component of the projector to start with if i got it, then later i'd use a pc for 1:1 via dvi and a pdtv freeview pci card. and dvd's thru windvd or something.

but tv has a practical everyday advantage, and a price advantage,

and bulbs are expensive and don't last forever..

There are a few people on here that have got bulbs to 3000 hours and beyond. The bulbs cost £250 - £300 if you get a couple of years out of its not too bad. Having said that people have been unlucky and its gone after a few hundred hours although this is the exception rather tthan the rule. Its the chance you take.

As I said I personally dont think they are a replacement for a TV especially not in terms of durability. There a few people on here who will have me lynched for saying this, As I said Its just my opinion.

You can get cheap DVI dvd players for £120 - £150. These will provide the best quality in terms of "Budget" players in my opinion.

Lets be honest though what would you rather have a 32" TV or a 6ft picture ? I have the ae500. Its an excellent projector.

Have a look at the "Ae 500 pics" thread. Some really good screen shots linked to on that thread.

Its all about compromise you will have to decide really.

I have Phililps Astaire Deluxe , & a Tosh PF 2 . we only use thePJ to watch DVDs & Football on SKY ,all other viewing is on the Tosh 36in to watch the PJ the screen pulls down in front of the TV.
Bulb life for the PJ is quoted at 6000 hrs price £250 . Hope this is of some help . Jim

If it were me I'd consider buying the projector and either a larger PC monitor with your TV card or a cheap small screen TV for casual viewing.
I've got a 32" TV and no projector but I bought that when PJs were too expensive to consider.
Now I would definitely have bought a projector and a small LCD TV. Both would be less obtrusive when out of use - my 32" Sony is a big lump in the room when the screen is off.

yeah, i have a widescreen tv and a projector.... for tv i watch tv, and for films and ps2, i use the pj. pj is the best thing in the world! but i wouldnt want to use it on a hot summers day with a lot of light filtering through...

krlock

You can get cheap DVI dvd players for £120 - £150. These will provide the best quality in terms of "Budget" players in my opinion.

Harrisuk - Which model did you go for in the end, how's it working out for ya?

In January I bought a 36" Toshiba TV and returned it a few days later because of a slight physical build problem. In the few days I had the TV I realised that I just couldn't live with the horrid digital artifacting that plague all current large screen CRT TV's. The PQ was good when the source was very clean, but any source less than perfect produced the well known digital artifacts.

I then borrowed a small projector from work for a few days to try out the pj concept. It was so much better than I anticipated. After some careful viewing I went for a Sony HS20. OK the picture is a little softer than the CRT and brightness/contrast is not quite so good, but the overall viewing experience is 10* better than from any 36" TV.

Friends/family who have seen the pj setup are equally impressed and enthused.

Cheers
Graham

I went for the Yamakawa DVD-365 in the end. It dosnt suffer from the "Judder" problems seen on the Samsung unit with DVI apparently.

It actually arrived yesterday. Got it from a guy in Germany via ebay.de (He was great took only 5 days to be delivered !)

I can provide his details if anyone else is interested. These players are not that easy to get hold of over here.

Bascially I havent actually played with it yet. My house is a right mess at the moment. The builders just knocked through from the loft (Where my cinema is going) and there is crap everywhere.

My ae500 is thus safely sealed away in its box. I should be in a position to get everything properly setup in the next month or so. Its frustrating but I will post my findings when it is all done.

Well after you raised it I thought it would be a good idea to try out the Yamakawa DVD-365. Good job I did.

Its definately not working right. Freezes up playing discs after a few minutes play and you have to reset the device. Also have to rest it everty time you enter dvd to get it to read it.

Not very happy :mad:

Yamakawa in Germany seem up for replacing / repairing it. This is why I buy stuff in good time. Something always goes wrong :mad: I suppose this is the risk you take buying stuff that is not available in the UK but there you go.

i think i've nearly decided to go with the TV for now, for practicality and cost reasons, it's £250 cheaper not counting the screen.

I'd love a projector, but... I may get one at start quarter 3 2004 when I get cash again, and have it in adition to the TV.

The TV is £750, thats only 3 projector bulbs or about 3 years of hard use, so I figure if the TV lasts 3 years it's cost £1k less (the projector price). But thats me trying to be postivie about the TV, in reality i'd probably get 3 years out of one bulb.

Though I saw a projector (Sanyo Z2) at a friends place, and he just projected it onto a wall that wasn't painted especially for it, and it was so so good.

Not sure still, but I think I'm heading for the TV...and a PJ at start Q3 2004 if I want something bigger for films...(but then I watched some TV episodes on friends Z2 and it pretty much kicked ass). And do I really want a 70kgbox in my lounge? Not really.

I'm not the typical couch potato I don't think, you'll very rarely find me watching any TV , stuff I watch is gonna be films, or specific TV episodes, I won't sit all evening watching random drivel, so PJ may be a good option for someone like me.

The only reason I watch any drivel atm is because I am browising the internet at the same time as my digital tv card can show a small window, I'd never do it in the lounge where it has 100% of my attention

btw - AMc: I have a 21" trinitron monitor, 1600x1200@100Hz, so I think it's ok :)

hmm , in writing all that did I just decide to go for a projector ? :)
:suicide:

Order Confirmation

Item Material/Description Quantity Unit Price Amount
1.00 PCS 893.62 893.62
Panasonic Projector PT-AE500E

:smashin:

Please tell me that price doesn't include VAT......Else :suicide:

nah, +vat , ordered from komplett. Only pasted to show everyone what I decided on, thanks for your help :)

went from 29 confirmed to 28 confirmed for the 6th April now :>

Cool, it'll being winging it's way to you by ParcelForce soon then.......erm..... uh oh. :D

Just kidding, I'm sure it'll be fine, law of averages etc. they have to succeed in delivery the odd parcel from time to time. :rolleyes:

looking at the drh screens, i'll have to do some measurements, is there a formula for size the panasonic will display from a certain distance?

the room is 339cm from skirting board to skirting board, so I guess with the amount the projector will stick out, the amount the screen will stick out, and head position from rear wall, it's going to be about 290cm

so I think I'll go for the 173cm x 97cm slimline pulldown from drh :p

I've never even owned a TV (apart from a 14" I bought when i was about 14! And as I was going thru uni I've been watching everything on a 21" monitor, so this should be quite an upgrade :)

got everything setup on saturday.. very pleased, it is immense!!!

buying a tv would of been a huge mistake!

Glad you like it. Great projector at a great price.

Welcome to the front projection club

Yep there really is no going back now, i have had my pj for about 5mths now and it still amazes me even though i am starting to get that urge they call the upgrade bug ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom