Quantcast

Prospective EP35 Purchase, what problems?

forrestgump

I am sending my XE1 back because of the excessive noise, what does the EP35 have extra please? Also I hear and read about problems with this model and see that firmware up-grades are out even though this is supposed to be the latest model?

Thx anyone

My XE1 was on version 2.7

kingfats

Distinguished Member
I am sending my XE1 back because of the excessive noise, what does the EP35 have extra please? Also I hear and read about problems with this model and see that firmware up-grades are out even though this is supposed to be the latest model?

Thx anyone

My XE1 was on version 2.7
The EP35 will have nothing extra over the Xe1.
The Xe1 is still Toshiba's flagship player and deservedly so after the 2.7 update. :cool:
My player is also pretty quiet. :)

forrestgump

The EP35 will have nothing extra over the Xe1.
The Xe1 is still Toshiba's flagship player and deservedly so after the 2.7 update. :cool:
My player is also pretty quiet. :)
I knew it would be quiet mate, I have put up with the noise for months but cannot put up with the wife complaining! The Xe1 does not do 7.1 though does it?

binbag

Likewise.

chelsea.tone

No problems with my EP35. Received it, did update 1.3 and played superbly :smashin: Well worth the investment with 8 free discs and 2 HDMI cables :rotfl:

Tony

LostCause

Novice Member
Cons
It looks and feels cheap. It won't auto switch resolution or frequency dependent upon media type. Can't switch resolutions on the fly, discs have to be stopped entirely to enter setup. Always negotiates from the lowest resolution first. It's 5.1 on the audio outputs not 7.1, 7.1 is only available over HDMI. It's slow to boot, start play and interact in general. Resume function doesn't work for HD-DVDs. It's a pig to update. Requires an update out of the box and will doubtless need many more to make it reliable. Gives the impression of a first generation player rather than a third. Average DVD upscaler and unlikely to ever be multi region.

Pros
Plays HD-DVDs, mostly.

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
Yes, but other than that what have the Romans done for us?

KatTV

Novice Member
Average DVD upscaler
Wow - I must see a high end one then, because my EP-35 makes my SDs look like HD in many cases!! ?

No problems here so far - played everything as it should, looks and sounds awesome.

KatTV

GPMCDERM

Standard Member
No probs so far....doesn't seem as slick as the PS3 when It come to playing films but then again haven't seen a stand alone BD player. My brother has the XE1 and apart from the build quality on the XE1 being much better I am very please with it has played every disc I've thrown at it, although will get my hands on a few problem discs tomorrow to try out...(Matrix 2, etc...)
Go ahaead with your purchase you won't be sorry one bit. Have it fed over analogue into my Yamaha amp so can hold off a little while on the upgrade to a 1.3 amp

Andywilliams

Wow - I must see a high end one then, because my EP-35 makes my SDs look like HD in many cases!! ?

No problems here so far - played everything as it should, looks and sounds awesome.

KatTV
Mine also makes me wonder sometimes perhaps we don't know what a good picture looks like.
Andy.

forrestgump

Apparantly Toshiba have had a few XE1's with excessive noise problems, I have been told to send it back to them for repair?

If it comes back quiet I will be one happy bunny, the EP35 is reviewed in this months HCC and seems well sorted!

THX for all the replies

Trending threads

Top Bottom