1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prospect AVR300 User.

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by radio, Jun 1, 2005.

1. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hiya,

I have been researching and running back n forth from various audio shops here in toronto, canada. I have become very unhappy with the sound of my existing setup and wanted to go ahead a step or two... i tried speakers and it wasn't the speakers. So i finally came to the conclusion that i require a new receiver. Currently I am running a 5.1 system. I have custom energy speakers that are pretty decent quality upto par with psb platinum close but not exact. Centre is a PSB image 9c (maybe an upgrade soon for the centre) and an a psb stratus subsonic 7.

I am afraid i may not be able to audition the avr300 inhouse. Recently i have auditioned the nad t773 and i was very happy with the sound quality compared to my marantz sr7000 (which in my opinion is very harsh/bright).

I just want an opinion or a pointer or two in terms of sound and functionality comparison between the nad773 and avr300. Hopefully a new arcam user.

thanx.

2. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've not heard the amps your talking about but you would not be dissapointed with the AVR300. It is also very good with stereo when used in direct mode. Get yourself a listen, it took me about 5 minutes to make my mind up.

3. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm more inclined to music than film, so I wanted a multichannel installation that was at least comparable if not equal to my stereo rig (McIntosh/Thiel/Arcam). I demoed a NAD before I bought the AVR300 -- not the 773, but one of its close relatives. I liked the NAD featureset and thought that it had an okay sound -- definitely less harsh than the Denons and Yamahas I'd tried out previously, but somehow it was also less dynamic than I had been expecting it to be. Ultimately, I went with the Arcam: it's reasonably musical, with subtler dynamics and a smoother top end than any other receiver I've tried. Plus, my wife actually likes it...even the remote.

4. yves

yves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,

Go for the AVR300. Very very good in music and cinema. It is the best purchase I ever made.

Yves

5. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will find the Marantz to have a more "powerfull"bass sound, but in real life it is overdoing the bass !
    If you go to the AVR300, you will find the bass still powerfull, but also very much more "real life" and tight. A bass will have a very clear start and end and not a "tTONKkkkzzz" sound.

The Nad is more like the arcam sound, but the AVR300 will sound more musical. It is more build for music. You won't have the harsh sounds. Voices will be smooth and very very clear to understand. I found myself NAD sounding a little bit "thin".

On functionality, I can't compare the 2 but I can't think of anything that the AVR300 is missing. Everything you can think about is on it. Maybe a little bit less DSP modes, but still there are more then enough (more then you will ever use).

6. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for all the input guys... i was unable to bring in the avr300 for inhouse demo... so i decided to go to the shop on saturday and spend a few hours giving them a listen.

After taking the nad back... i was quite surprised with the sound of the nad and am very taken. If you gents are suggesting avr300 supersedes the nad then i think ill have the avr by monday or tuesday.

I found in my personal experience from going from marantz to nad (demo) only that the bass was much cleaner as someone mentioned above and it was not boomy... sound was not harsh at all only when need be and the highs were "fine". The stage in stereo was good... i ended up listening to some old cds and i heard things i never heard.

I will report back on saturday what i thought of avr vs nad. But from the sounds and the comments about arcam all over the net i think i may be a black avr300 owner soon.

Cheers.

edit: One thing i am somewhat concerned and dissapointed about is the way dsp/soundfields work on both nad/arcam as i fiddled with the unit for an hour today.
    While a digital in and in PCM mode u cannot seem to switch to "party" (5-7 chan stereo) mode? and or other modes?
    I found the same to be true. Its like these units are keeping the digital circuitry different from analogue processing?

7. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iom i think you can switch to 5ch/7ch stereo mode on the Arcam.
    But for that you need to release the "direct mode" on the front of the receiver. If you've done that, you can select the DSP modes on stereo and/or switch to PLII/music etc. Ask the dealer or download the manual.

The sound of the marantz is very different compared with the NAD and Arcam. If you now are looking at nad and arcam, it will be more difficult.

as mentioned, try to listen to the "thin" sound. What I found most excellent on the avr was that music was present in the room, not "sticking" to the speakers.
    Good luck listening and making your decision !

8. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nods absolutly correct.. i found that as well only between marantz and nad...
    The sound is more refined and natural rather than pushed out... its intresting how much painful it was for me to listen to music and watch tv last night back on the marantz.

I did download both manuals for nad and arcam... seems like i have to have analogue or source to be sent out in stereo domain to use the effects.

In canada here i have a hidef cable box which i think may have a flaw.. the digital out no matter what source is playing is always sent out as DD whether it be stereo or 5.1.

I am so excited to audition these on saturday.

9. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Finally was able to do a side by side comparison with nad and the arcam using dv78, same cables and same speakers for the nad 773 and arcam 300.

In my opinion the arcam is more refined very warm and creates a wider stage. If you asked what do i mean be refined... many factors... the arcam sounds a bit richer/warmer/detailed.

Nad is great lots of power but its a runner up, not my number one and for sure not for me....

I have ordered my 300 in black will have it next week.

excited.

:)

10. MrKegFlex

MrKegFlex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't resist getting the black too. I prefer all black but the silver accents have grown on me and I like it. :)

11. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats Radio. Good choice !
    I think the differences were not as big as with the Marantz, but as I read it, music on the Arcam is clearer to "understand" and more refind as only brut power.

You can always use channel 6+7 to bi-amp your front speakers :)

12. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick note on NAD T773 (not comparing to anything else). I find most NAD surround amplifier units have a substantial noise floor, which I find extremely annoying. If this does not annoy you (and you should check for yourself), then NAD is probably a great choice, I like the pure simplicity of NAD stereo products, but finds the surround products lack in the noise department.

My choice of an Arcam AVR300 was mainly due to its noise free soundstage which allows you to listen to the music without any added equipment noise. In my experience the absence of noise is essential for the soundstage to open up.

13. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think i know what u mean when i said lack of detailed the highs seemed noisy to me as they were being not relayed/transfered properly from the reciever... I used tone defeat and stereo only mode so it was even noticable in stereo mode... shame... I thought maybe have two huge torodials maybe adding interferance?

I finally got the avr300 but unfortunatly work doenst permit me any time off this weekend so i will have to fiddle with it sunday or monday... it says latest firmware on the box... so i will have to report back on the beauty.

EDIT: I couldnt wait and i plugged it in my system today about 6 hours ago and i have been listening to stereo music since then... i had to remove my marantz monoblock for centre as it is not very good in my opinion and there is tonal mismatch..

So far what a beatiful piece of hardware... i havnt smiled this much listening to jazz in a while.

14. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    First Impressions:

I think this very well may turn out to be one of the best audio/hifi purchase i have ever made...

The sound is so detailed and clean that it wows me everytime i listen to something new on this reciever. On top of that the bass is so accurate its uncanny, even folks who dont care for the quality of sound are noticing how impressive the sound reproduction is.

So much and so i spent a few hours comparing my marantz ma700 monoblock (thx) (i use for centre channel) to the centre channel right out of avr...

Not only the avr has a cleaner sounding its less harsh and much more detailed...

One piece of hardware for sale now.... but so far amazed and very much liking this unit... I am glad i did not go with the other products the dealer were pushing and i did my own tests by listening to them side by side...

I am one happy customer.