Pros & Cons of importing a Pioneer DV-656A from the US?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mahtey, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Mahtey

Mahtey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey Guys,

I'm considering importing the US version of this player, mainly due to the fact that it will give me an NTSC prog scan output from it's component video outputs.

Therey're available for a shade over $160 - so after shipping, import duties and a stepdown transformer I shouldn't be looking at much over £200.

I know the US spec player doesn't have SACD playback - but i'm not that bothered by this as i'm a vinyl junkie.

I'd be interested to know what other forum users thought of this plan?

Cheers,

Matthew

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi Matthew,

It's not a bad idea to import a U.S player - my first player was an imported Panasonic A310 way back in '98 which cost me £500 :rolleyes: Have a look at www.jvb.nl who are selling a multi-region modded U.S. 656 that can also play PAL discs. This may be more useful to you than a pure region 1 player. I recently bought a 757Ai from these guys and was pleased with their service. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. Mahtey

Mahtey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey Steve,

Thanks for you response.

If I was to go through with my plan - would I be able to have the player modified to play all regions (in the way one would have an 'R2 out of the box' player modified to run all regions?)

Thanks,

Matthew

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi Matthew,

I'm not too sure if you would be able to get a U.S. player modded in the U.K. - maybe someone else could help here. JVB are selling the modded 656 for 267 Euros, which would work out as approximately £212 inc Dutch VAT.

Steve

5. Mahtey

Mahtey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey Dutch,

Yeah I saw the US version of the 656A on that site (great site actually - firmly in my favourites) - it works out at about £260 including delivery - i'm tempted!

I guess if I got that player i'd just need a stepdown power converter - are there any problems associated with using a stepdown (ie, will it affect the quality of performance of the player?)

One final question - do you know of any good sites to source such a stepdown?

Thanks again for your response and help, much appreciated.

Matthew

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi Matthew,

There shouldn't be any problems using a step-down transformer as DVD players don't have large power requirement. I got mine from my local Dixons, but Maplin also sell them for around £30. Good luck with your 656A :smashin:

Steve