1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pros and cons of Home Cinema ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by nethead, Jan 18, 2003.

1. nethead

nethead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of researching widescreen tv's and debating whether or not I need to buy a seperate Home Cinema package, rather than just a DVD player.

I'm looking at tv's that are Dolby Pro-Logic with 6 speakers (front, rear and integral subwoofer) and therefore already provide full surround sound, yet every store I enter the sales assistants insist on trying to sell me a seperate Home Cinema system.

Can anyone out there explain the advantages or disadavantages of a seperate system, when I'll have a tv that is already capable of full surround sound ?

2. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    When you listen to music, can you tell the difference between an aiwa-all-in-one-cd-player-tuner-combo-99-quid-at-Argos-type-thing and a quality seperates system?

If the answer is "yes and the difference bothers me" then get a proper seperate HC system, if the answer is no or "yes but it doesnt bother me" then the TV's built in sound will do just fine.

3. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Pro's:
    A good separate system should sound better than an integrated system.
    It will probably give you more options to manipulate the sound.
    Should have better quality components (speaker, sub etc.)

Con's:
    An extra financial overhead (usual story - the more you spend the better it is... maybe)
    Extra space needed - you have an extra box under the TV & a big sub; most integrated systems hide the sub in the TV.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Surely you mean Dolby 5.1 and not Pro-Logic only?

either way go for seperates. MUCH better quality and more powerful sound.

btw, my TV has built in 5.1 but I never use it. Much prefer to use My Sony STRB930 Amp which aslo has DTD to boot.