1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

proposed hcpc spec, can you pick some holes in it please???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by oreoboy13, Aug 4, 2003.

1. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer DVR-106 4x DVD±RW - OEM (CD-011-PO) £119.30

Intel Pentium 4 'Northwood' 2.8CGHz (800FSB) with HT Technology - Retail (CP-026-IN) £190.90

OCZ 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum Series DDR CAS2 (MY-005-OC) £208.90

Connect3D ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB - Retail (GX-013-CO)

Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB Serial ATA 10000RPM - OEM (HD-007-WD) £100.95

Maxtor MaXLine Plus II Serial ATA 250GB 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-021-MD) £205.90

Enermax EG465AX-VE(G)(FMA) 460W ATX Power Supply (CA-004-EN)
    £54.90

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Pro - Retail (KB-011-MS) £58.50
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional - OEM (OS-002-MS) £97.20

Asus P4P800 "Springdale" (Socket 478) Motherboard (MB-025-AS) £79.90

Subtotal £1,436.35
    VAT £251.37
    Total £1,687.72

Plus

Xcapture £50

= £1737.72

However i cant find a case thats suitable: cheap as chips midi tower with no psu and a couple of usb 2.0 ports on the front.

And can anybody recommend a sound card thats good at games/movies and stereo??

So if you could crictically appraise my proposed setup i would be very grateful.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Expect it to be pretty noisy, but apart from that it looks good,I would go for the Pioneer 105 on the basis that you can make it multiregion. How about a Revo for the sound card?

3. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply.

i was also going to go for some of the case padding from www.quietpc.com. Also it is going to be kept in a Arca 100 series wooden cabinet, so probably not so much of a problem?

Will there not be a hack for the 106 or was the 105 region free to start with?, i could always use my arcam DV88 and dscaler temporarily?

As far as the Revo goes: i was lead to belive the games copatibility was pretty awful.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice system - have most of those components in a recently built PC (AMD board/CPU though).

I'd go for 2x Raptors in RAID 0 (stonking performance from mine in this config). The nForce boards do optical SPDIF out & encode to DD5.1 so suitable for WM9 stuff & games etc...

Could save some money on Twinmos (winbond CH5 chip) dimms - great memory & a cracking bargain ATM. Running @ 220FSB in my board 100% stably (turbo timings too).

You'd also save on an extra soundcard with an nForce board.

PSU is a good choice (no probs from mine) & practically silent on low fan mode.

It's obviously overkill just for DVD/HCPC, but an excellent all-round PC I'd say.

Best of luck with the biuld :)

5. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    good, but expensive. i can get within 90% of that performance for £1000 less with an amd based pc.

6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Great HTPC

Another consideration would be are you likely to add a DTT TV card, Nebula make a cracking one.

I'd still go for a soundcard BTW. I have the Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo with Lan, Serial ATA , onboard SP/Dif sound etc but the quality of the sound output is nowhere near that of a quality soundcard. RME (V.Expensive but best) or M-Audio. You'd probably be better trying the Mobo sound first and adding the sound card later if you feel you need it. I did.

If your not going to use this machine for games you could aslo easily settle for a lower spec Radeon. There a fanless (BIG PLUS!!) 9600 that's good value. Also I believe the bigger radeons give off more heat and that's not a good thing.

I'd also get some replacement IDE leads that are not ribbon ones, these considerably help airflow inside the case.

Strange that you'd spend so much internal components and want to put it in a crappy container:confused: Your choice though. I'm sure the perofrmance of the machine will be stunning.

MArk.

7. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I kinda need more space and sound quality, as i am going to rip all my CDs using monkey to the HD.

90% performance? Doing what?

I probably wont get a DTT card as i have Sky+.

Stereo quality is quite important to me, and i would definatly like games compatibility and so thought the M-Audio was out the window?????

Dont really care what the case looks like, its what it does that counts.

-----------------------------------------------

At first i will probably carry on using my arcam DV88 video and sound switch via my denon, and use the PC as a sound server and Dscaler. After i get used to TT etc, i will start using the PC to play films. So really i need a sound card thats good with all three, games/movies/stereo.

8. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,981
    If you do buy a cheap case make sure that the plate at the back where all the ports are (keyboard,mouse,nic,usb etc) is replaceable as a lot of motherboards now com with custom plates. Some of the real cheap cases do not allow for this.