• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Proper two speaker configuration around pool? Mono or stereo ? If mono how?

TangledUp

Novice Member
I just installed two Atrium 6 outdoor speakers at the back left and right corner of my pool acting as stereo speakers (left channel/left speaker and right channel/right speaker). These are hooked up to a Russound R1250MC with two of the zones operating in bridge mode to get a little extra power out to the speakers. I am using a Sonos Connect to play music on these speakers by the pool.

The setup is working fine, music is playing, but have found one thing that can be annoying. As I moved around the pool, or stay closer to one side, the music starts to sound unbalanced. I understand that this is because I am closer to one speaker and thus mostly hearing only that channel.

I was wondering if it would be a better solution to try and output the music in Mono instead. If so, is there something I can buy that will properly mix the two channels into one without degradation?

I know they make outdoor stereo speakers, where each speaker has dual tweeters, but that's not in the cards right now.

Is there another solution that would work better? What do most people do with their speakers when installing them around a pool? Or am I overthinking this?

Thanks in advance.

John

larkone

Distinguished Member
You should go back and re-read your manual:

With the Stereo/Bridge Mono switch in the Bridged
Mono position, both channels in the zone are combined for a higher powered
mono output. In bridged mode, the R1250MC is rated at 140 watts of power
into a single 8 ohm load.

Would it of not been a better to solution to buy a Sonos ZP120 which has a built in amplifier and outputs for four speakers instead and used four speakers around the outside of the pool instead to give you a more dispersed sound?

I'm guessing that options a little late now as you've purchased the kit? It may be worth having this moved to the custom install area of the forum for a better answer.

I think you'll struggle to get a decent stereo image outside and not sure you'd really need one if its for when you're in the pool. Again would it not be better to get another set of speakers? I'm jumping the gun abit but guessing its a rectangular pool? If so then have a speaker on each side of the pool instead?

As you swim closer to one side its going to get louder, but that's always going to be the case unless you build some sort of pagoda and have the speakers above you again to disperse the sound a little better.

TangledUp

Novice Member
Thanks for the responses.

You should go back and re-read your manual:

With the Stereo/Bridge Mono switch in the Bridged
Mono position, both channels in the zone are combined for a higher powered
mono output. In bridged mode, the R1250MC is rated at 140 watts of power
into a single 8 ohm load.

Trust me I read the manual thoroughly :)

Actually when you put the zones in bridged mode, the left and right channels of each individual zone are set to mono. So bridging Zone 1 and Zone 2, would create a combined mono channel in Zone 1 and a combined mono channel in Zone 2. Since you are plugging the left output from the Sonos into one zone and right output into the other, you are still left with stereo L/R channels, but now each channel has a higher wattage.

This was tested by playing an mp3 through Sonos that identified the left and right channels independently.

Would it of not been a better to solution to buy a Sonos ZP120 which has a built in amplifier and outputs for four speakers instead and used four speakers around the outside of the pool instead to give you a more dispersed sound?

From what I can tell the Connect:Amp has only two speaker outputs (Left and Right channel) and one for a sub.

My problem was that due to the long distance from my house to the pool (over 200 feet on one of the runs) I felt it would be better to use a thicker gauge and higher wattage, so thought something like the russound would be a good choice with the bridging feature. I could be wrong about my decisions though.

I think you'll struggle to get a decent stereo image outside and not sure you'd really need one if its for when you're in the pool. Again would it not be better to get another set of speakers? I'm jumping the gun abit but guessing its a rectangular pool? If so then have a speaker on each side of the pool instead?

The pool is L-Shaped and I have the speakers in the far back left and right corners of the pool/

I used it this weekend and it wasn't bothering me as much as I thought it would. Was just curious if using a mono signal out of both speakers would make more sense in this application.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom