Proper screen - what's it like.. will know soon..

D

Dodgey

I've just taken delivery of a proper fixed projection screen (thanks Gordon) which I'm going to install this weekend. Up until now I've been using a stretched king size bed sheet with no borders etc. (using PTAE-100)

Watch this space.......

Dodgey

I'm thinking of getting the PT AE-100 as my first projector, Techtronics have them for £1054 with a free 55inch 16:9 ratio screen.

Whats the image quality like?
Is screendoor a problem?
Whats the distance from pj to screen for your setup?
Whats the viewing distance for your setup?
Whats the size of your screen?
What signal input are you using?

Would greatly appreciate your comments

Everyone, does a PJ setup pass with wife approval ?

regards
VC

Vee_cee I was looking at that offer earlier too, looked really good - until I realised it was all excluding VAT!!

guys look in the special offers forum, a PTAE-100 can be had for 995 inc VAT.

btw, do a search on the PTAE-100...you'll find all you need to know, plus alot more:D

Vee-Cee,

Smurfin is referring to this:

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&AvdID=1&CatID=29&GrpID=1&p=20225&s=fp

As for your other queries,

Brilliant - as with all LCD projectors, the blacks are never really black, but the colours are vibrant, its plenty bright enough running in eco mode which reduces the noise and gives a 5000 hr bulb life

Is screendoor a problem?

That really depends on whether you fing it objectionable in the first place - imo too much is made of this issue, particularly by our American cousins, but that probably stems from their long relationship with CRT projectors for home cinema. If you like an ultra sharp picture, and you can sit more than 2x screen width away from screen then it shouldn't be an issue. I you de-focus the image very slightly, then the image becomes more filmic, and screendoor can be made to practically disappear. I prefer a very slight de-focus, my wife like the picture ultra sharp.

About 11 feet.

about 13 feet

16 x 9format, 84" wide.

I'm using a gizmo called a ProV - see here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=55466

for further details. Some lucky souls have Pal progressive dvd players, others absolutely swear by dedicated hcpcs. Imo, hcpc is the route to getting the very best picture quality from the AE100, the Prov comes fairly close.

Hope this helps - but some time spent searching here on the forum should inform you more. Incidentally, there is absolutely no substitute for seeing one of these in action, provided its in a reasonbly well set up dealers. You shoould also try seeing the new Sanyo PLV Z1 at about £1300, if your budget can manage - its new to market and is getting very good review by users here and on avsforum (USA). Depending on where you live, you could ask on the forum for any AE100 owner living near you to give you a demo.....

For me, all the descriptions in the world had nothing like the impact of seeing it in action first time out, and I've now got it set up a lot better than that, thru tweaking and ProV etc.

Good luck,

Sean G.

Originally posted by vee_cee
Dodgey

I'm thinking of getting the PT AE-100 as my first projector, Techtronics have them for £1054 with a free 55inch 16:9 ratio screen.

Is screendoor a problem?

regards
VC

Awesome
No
4.06M/13' 4"
3.9M/12' 10"
2.4 x 1.8M (4:3)
VGA from ProV
Yes:p

The Dvd player i'm looking at getting is the Denon 2800MKII

This has component output from what i remember, my question is

Will i still need a ProV box, if a use component out?

What distances can you run component without losses?

Cheers
VC

OK The screen is up!!! - and boy is it huge. Firstly, to answer the question posed...

Superb - If you have never seen a big screen LCD in action in the dark you will be in for a big shock! People talk about screen door, but to be honest, it just is not an issue to me - it's so big you just enjoy it. And the price, what else comes close (ans don't think you get what you pay for - this is a lot more than you pay for in my opinion)

Is screendoor a problem?

Nope - Do you want to spend at least 4k for a widescreen dlp PJ which has other issues (rainbow) - particularly when most screen door queries are from people who don't have an LCD pj - most people who do have one don't complain - have a search.

4.4M

4M (too close, not a real problem, but the picture looks more filmic a couple of metres further back)

274 x 154 ( :D hehe)

HTPC 856x480

Above!

My house, but she loves it.

Now, onto the screen - going from a bedsheet to a propper job....

Wow! lots of things:

I can watch films in the day, with the lights on dim (not a chance before)
Much brighter image
Limitations of the LCD are revealed a bit due to the much improved screen material - NOTE: This is only because I'm sitting too close - You can just detect the pixels "swimming"- and no, I can't move my sofa! - Also note, only tested in the light, with Band of Brothers, which is meant to be grainy so is not a good test...
Black borders round the picture (the frame) makes it look like a giant plasma display - more on that tomorrow when I've watched a film or 6 tonight... will update in the morning.

Bye!

Originally posted by vee_cee
The Dvd player i'm looking at getting is the Denon 2800MKII

This has component output from what i remember, my question is

Will i still need a ProV box, if a use component out?

What distances can you run component without losses?

Cheers
VC

Yes, if you want to make Sky watchable.
No, if you are only watching DVDs.

How long is your cable? I have a 10M VGA cable that works fine and the same in S-vhs.

And here it is :) - Thanks Gordon

p.s. No, I have not entirely worked out what to do with it when I want to watch normal TV, or open the windows :) - Well, that's a lie, I think it will go on the wall to the right when not in use. Two man job though (well, 1 man 1 woman)

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 313
OK, I've been playing for a bit and I thought I'd include an image showing screen-door. It's a real close up shot. I though of including a shot from my viewing distance but I can't post a high enough resolution image here for you to examine - would be of zero use, but the point is, you (or at least I) can't see it from a few meters away, at all.

Attachments

• close.jpg
    close.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 310
Hey Dodgey,

THATS a screen :D :D

Can see why you're so happy....

All the best,

Sean G.edit: my wife just looked over my shoulder and said "is that one bigger than yours ? Size matters so, does it ?":blush: ;) :D

Thanks TheRitz, hope I haven't caused screen envy.

Thanks Gordon.

Now, you are not going to believe this......

My Panny just died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

170 hours of use, just bought a new bunch of DVDs to run on the new screen..... Switched the PJ on and it bade a bit of a buzzing noise and went into standby. Switched it back on. Played a bit, sitched it off.

Then, switched it back on and it died in a milisecond. Now power light or anything :mad:

I've checked the power (got meter), opened her up and checked the two internal fuses I found by the power connector. All checks out OK. She is just DEAD!!!!

I want to kill Panasonic!!! They should have done a bl@ody recall by now.

I notice there is no "crying" smily simbol. There should be!

What do you reckon is the chance of getting it back before xmas? zero.........

boo hoo

Hey Dodgey,

**** !!!:eek: :eek:

Man I really feel you pain - where did you buy it ? does the dealer have a reputation here for sorting it out ?

Thats Me, McMullanbrush, and now you !!

Mine had about 320 hrs up (Mike, keep you fingers crossed) but it didn't die completely - it would come on for about 10 secs, and then go out with the lamp LED flashing red, high fan and then shut down - the dealers say a replacement lampo will sort it out - my fingers are well and truly crossed.

I hope you can get this sorted out - if they can't guarantee to get it back to you swiftly - see Mcmullanbrush's post here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=56729

I've posted details of Panasonics guarantee which iuncludes a replacement pj while yours is being fixed. If my guys don't get me back in action by next Wednesday, then I'm on to Panasonic to kick up some stink.

Let us know how you get on - I think its time to re-instate the AE100 problem Stickey.

Commiserations again.

Sean G.

Thanks Theritz. Fortunately I have 2 bottles of red, a bottle of champagne, and a wonderful woman to keep me happy.

I agree about the sticky thread. I always thought that it was someone elses problem / bad luck. At present, I have to say to others - think carefully about buying the Panny.... it's still great value but if I can't get an assurance that they replace the faulty components with improved ones (rather than same) then I'm going for a refund otherwise the begger will die 2 days out of warranty!

I got the PJ through a computer supplier I use - but I'll call Panny directly and do it myself.

**** happens - but on the day I get my screen erected, after waiting 4 months for it (not Gordon's fault - I wasted my time with another pillock before hand) - That's just not fair
:(

p.s. Thanks for the screen Gordon, I can recommend it to anyone else. Very well made (quality), easy to assemble (if you engage brain first!), nice tight material - no ripples etc and not too heavy. Oh, and the matt surround is 100% effective.

Phoned the Panny service center this morning, they are collecting it this afternoon and they have the parts in stock (assuming it is indeed the PSU problem - which it looks like).

Lets hope all goes to plan.

The guy (Nick) needed no prompting to collect it direct, today. He did ask which supplier I used but it was not an issue.

I also asked whether the replacement PSU would be an "upgraded" component - he confirmed this.

Dodgey .If you dont mind me asking , How much was the screen and what size is it.

Panny has been collected already!!!

As for the screen - it is (viewable area) 274 x 156 (I think - using memory) - it cost about £750 ish, can't be more specific as I got someone else to pay for it for me :) . Have a chat with Gordon at Convergent, he's a good chap and the quality of the screen is tip-top.

I bought a fixed screen because i will make 2 masking panels for it for "very" widescreen movies. Tricky to do with a pulldown screen.

TheRitz, got the PJ back today! Not bad - called Panny on Monday, mended and in my lap by Thursday!

PHEW

Close call but well done to the service ctr.

I have just read this thread from start to finish and my heart sank when you posted about the failure.

Alls well that ends well :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom