1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proper Hi Def?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Synchronicity, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Im still not convinced I am getting proper Hi Def through my set up.Im connecting my pc(Radeon 9800 pro) via DVI to my Sanyo z2,do I have to install powerstrip or something similar to get it to display the proper res? :lease:

2. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Surely the Sanyo shows somewhere what signal its getting?

3. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    No idea tbh,Im in work atm,so can't check :oops:

4. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    Its juts like a large monitor. Go into your desktop properties, and check what resolution its set to. The resolution you want is 1280 x 720, this is a standard resolution for the ATI drivers. If its set to this, the text on screen should look super sharp.

Let us know how you get on

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    I have the same set up, except i think mine is a radeon 9600, and it should recognise the resolution. You will however need to set the Z2 to hdcp input in the menu settings (i think its called) and not to pc.

6. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    i have a radeon 9600, where is this z2 thing, is it in the catalyst contol panel ?

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No, Inzaman's referring to a menu setting in the Z2, not the PC, which selects the type of input, you need to tell the Z2 to switch to HDMI mode rather than PC ... refer to the Z2 manual for the exact name of the menu item you're looking for.

You need to do this before the Catalyst Control Panel will recognise that the projector will accept 720p, once it's happy then you'll be able to select 1280x720p resolution which is what you're after.

8. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Forgot I posted this :blush: I suspected I was missing something and Im sure Ive never selected HDMI mode.I will have a look tomorrow evening and see if I can suss it ,cheers:smashin:

I know I should just RTFM but that just wouldnt be cricket :D

9. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    hmmm,changed the setting on the Z2,but can only select a resolution up to 1024*768 :confused:

10. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Glad it's not just me that's confused with this :confused: , I read the pj reviews in the back of a magazine the other day and noticed that for the Z2 it said NOT hi-def ready?? I assume the magazine ( can't remember which one ) got it wrong or maybe it was because the Z2 doesn't have a HDMI socket.
    KraGorn, when you say 720p what exactly do you mean, I have been using my Z2 for months connected to my HTPC, desktop res of 1280x720, using the VGA output (due to cable length, 10mtrs) and assumed I was sending a progressive signal to my Z2, in fact I thought all PC outputs (vga/dvi) were progressive?. I have my input settings set to 'PC' not the 'HDCP' input, is this setting only important when sending 'proper' hi-def stuff to my pj, I read another thread recently where someone said they were having problems with HD sources and the Z2.

The other thing that still baffles me is 1:1 pixel mapping :confused: , I thought I had it but when I look at icons on my desktop (when looking at my screen up close) it appears that although I can see the 'steps' of a curved icon image as it crosses individual pixels, there seems to be some blurring or shadowing and it 'bleeds' into the adjacent pixel, surely if it was 1:1 the edges would be totally square, I hope this makes sense!! maybe it's because I'm using a 60hz refresh rate, and although I've tried pstrip it just seemed to create more problems. ( I find the relationship between refresh rates and screen sizes even more confusing!)

11. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Anyone have any suggestions? :lease:

12. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hey Mr Jason, seems we're in a similar situation, except I use VGA from my HTPC and I have managed to set my desktop res to 1280 x 720.

I actually use nvidia NVIEW to control my output, I have set up a hot-key to toggle my graphics card output from s-video 640 x 480 to my TV and VGA 1280 x 720 to my Z2 which is using the 'PC' input. This is so I can use my TV when I want to use my HTPC as a music jukebox etc (using meedio), then toggle the output to my PJ when I want to watch a DVD (using tt2 and ffdshow) using a wireless keyboard and remote control for my Shuttle.

I find it works pretty well, however being a fussy ba :censored: rd I would really like to get a decent nvidia 6 series card with DVI output and connect my Z2 using the DVI input as I know this is the best possible connection I have available, BUT I would have to spend a decent amount of cash on the graphics card/DVI cable and would have a problem with the distance between my HTPC and my PJ which would mean risking it with a 10mtr long cable or moving the HTPC which isn't really an option as it would be stuck in a corner and would be very difficult to use :suicide: