Proof that the BBFC don't watch everything they certify.

the_pauley

Ex Member
Reaction score
A different policy for video certification exists for music titles that does not exist for feature films. If a music title is seen to have no swearing, violence, nudity or other "dubious" content, it is exempt from classification by the BBFC.

Just bought John Lennon's Imagine DVD. This is a music documentary on the making of the album. The disc carries the "E" symbol and the notice "Exempt from classification". Flash forward to halfway through the film and you'll hear Mr Lennon use the word "c**t" very loudly and very plainly on several occasions.

You didn't watch this one, did you Mr. Censor? :nono:

I've got an old Twisted Sister VHS that's exempt but, believe me, the language between the songs is on a par with something like Eddie Murphy Raw or Delirious.

It's a case of "Oh it's music - nothing wrong there......."

Music DVD's are exempt from classification... just to prove that censorship doesn't work go check out Zak Wylde's Black Label Society DVD - everyother word is the "F" word.. yet a 2 year old could watch it according to the BBFC.. go figure... :rolleyes:

I don't think that's strictly true - the Eminem DVD was certified as 15 due to language, as have been several Kiss and Metallica videos/dvd's I own. Scary that Kiss said the F-Word once and get a 15 and Dee Snider/Zakk Wylde say it around 100-200 times each and it's exempt.

the_pauley said:
You didn't watch this one, did you Mr. Censor? :nono:

No, they didn't. From the BBFC's FAQ (the bolding I've done):

---
The 'E' symbol on video packaging indicates that the distributor believes the work to be exempt from classification. Under the Video Recordings Act 1984, a video is an exempted work if is designed to inform, educate or instruct; is concerned with sport, religion or music; or is a video game.

However, if such a work depicts human sexual activity or gross violence to any significant extent it will need a BBFC classification.

The 'E' symbol is not an official symbol and does not have any legal standing. Nor is it a requirement that it should appear on video cassettes, unlike the BBFC classification symbols.

Under the Video Recordings Act, the onus is on the distributor to decide whether or not a video work is an exempted work, and distributors have tended to put an 'E' symbol on tapes as guidance to the public.

The Board does not examine exempted works and does not decide whether or not a work is exempt.

---

If you're annoyed that Imagine's got a load of Cs in it or that Zak Wylde Fs a lot then complain to their distributers who decided to release them Exempt, not the BBFC!

Dan

It's cause there classed as special intrest, there's a fair few documentarys there are out without cert. I got Michael Jackson History on film vol 2 which has no cert and has the Thriller vidoe on, now back in the 80's when thriller was released on vhs it was given a 15. Anywasy i'am not complaining.

I believe you can contact the BBFC and or the DPP to tell them that you believe a title shouldn't be exempt.

If they agree, the distributor has broken the law by not gaining a classification for a non-exempt work.

Steve W

Hi,

Pecker is correct, though I'd e-mail the BBFC personally as they have the power to revoke any material that does not comply with appropriate certification or "Exempt" ratings. And it very much sounds like some of this material, should be certificated, and not be released as "Exempt".

As already stated the "Exept" rating, is not a certification or rating of any kind. It's not even an advisory symbol, though some music and documentary DVD's do sometimes mention "Parental Advisory" or a warning of some kind, if the title includes material that may be considered inappropriate for younger viewers.

Sadly, "Exempt" should really be a BBFC classification, and not left to the distributors to make that decision, because - as has been shown - distributors are happy to let through material that is not at all suitable to be given anything less than a 15 or 18 certificate. "Exempt" should really, in my opinion, only be applied to documentaries or music videos, that would equate to nothing higher than a PG at most. If there's bad language or material that is shocking or explicit, then it really should be forced to be classified, and then given an appropriate BBFC rating.

On the other side of the coin, some distributors want to get their music video collections rated as an 18 certificate, and use that to try and get people to buy the disc, just as has happened with Eminem and Madonna DVD's. It's to show that the content on the disc is more explicit or controversial than versions shown on MTV and the like, and is a way for them to say "Hey, buy this, it's the full uncut version that we can't show on TV!"

Pooch

The 'Imagine Special Edition' I've got on DVD has a BBFC 15 rating with the information 'contains strong language'.

As if we don't already have enough censorship in this country, some folks want to go out of their way to ask for more?

Regards

Mark

Mark,

As if we don't already have enough censorship in this country, some folks want to go out of their way to ask for more? Mark

No, Mark! That's not what we are asking for! :lesson: I'm saying (as may be others) that some works that have been given an "Exempt" label, aren't actually appropriate, because they contain material or language that should really be labelled with an official BBFC certification, so that people don't mistakenly show such titles to people for whom it may not be appropriate!

I think you'll find it's called being a sensible person/parent! :lesson:

Calling for censorship, would mean that I'd be asking for these titles to be banned or stopped from being released in the UK, which I am categorically NOT doing. I simply feel that material that is not appropriate for everyone like the cases shown in this thread, should be reviewed by the BBFC to show people why they aren't appropriate to be given an "Exempt" label!

Unless you are okay about youngsters viewing the old release of "Imagine: John Lennon" with the c-word intact, and without any kind of certificate, then really you should be agreeing with the ideas for appropriate classification! :lesson:

Pooch

I knew such words by the time I was very young, as I'd imagine do most folks. The correct course, in my opinion, is to have sufficiently able parents to explain the appropriateness, or otherwise, of words used, and in what circumstances. Trying to get the very dubious organisation that is the BBFC to take over the mantle of adequate parenting is not how I would want things to be under almost any circumstance I can imagine.

Regards

Mark

Queens greatest hits is exempt and in the video bicycle race you can clearly see nude women, if you put slow motion on its even clearer.

Its Disgusting! :eek:

Im phoning the relevant authorities, just as soon as Ive sat thru it again.

I've got an old Twisted Sister VHS that's exempt but, believe me, the language between the songs is on a par with something like Eddie Murphy Raw or Delirious.

That reminds me of the story that when Twisted Sister where playing Donington in the 80s, Dee Snider was well warned that there was a limit on the allowed use of the word "f---" during his performance. It was agreed that it would be acceptable for him to use it 18 times. If he said "f---" one more time, they would pull the plug on him.

Of course, before he had even finished introducing the first song, he'd run out of "f---'s" so, quick as a flash, and for the rest of the gig, Dee peppered the audience with "m-----f---er's" instead.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom