1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronto

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Brox, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I the only on that thinks the Pronto looks cheap and like a childs toy.

I mean £150 for a remote! you can buy a decent DVD player for that - i'm sure it is the best but....

The people that are buying them must have serious money and/ or like their gadgets

I'm interested to know what sort of systems the Pronto owners have, are we talking Tag/Meridian that sort of quality kit? I'd hate to think someone with a 'budget' setup was spending so much on a remote - or is it me?

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Its you :D

Its the flexibility of the pronto that makes it so great.

goto remotecentral.com and download the software and somones ccf then have a play with the virtual remote and you may change your views :)

3. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JSW,

I tried to find the virtual remote but can't - can you give me some more info.

Cheers

4. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Try Here you'll enjoy it once you start, in fact you never finish :devil:

5. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Versitility is the key word here.

I have three prontos to control my lights (Lutron), blinds, audio (Radio, MP3), video (Sky, Sky +, CCTV, Video) and PS2.

Almost anything with IR can be controlled.

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,531
    pronto is one of my best purchases!

Programmable buttons, fully back-lit screen, infinite amount of buttons, (well until you fill the memory up), flexibility.

It can control just about everything, replaces my 8 remotes, with 1 simple easy to use remote.

And even the girlfriend can use the pronto, esp. when she wants to watch a DVD.....no fumbling about changing the TV to correct channel, changing the amp to the correct input, looking for the dvd remote, all she does is put the dvd in the drive, and select "watch DVD" on the pronto, and hey presto..the film starts....zero hassle!

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question answered:D :D :D

8. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Kramer

You're up early orstaying up late.

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The prontos even get used in Sci-Fi.

There are various episodes of Stargate SG-1 where they use a pronto as some hi-spec scanning device. From a filmakers point of view its really easy to use it as a touch sensitive what-ever-they-want with the display changing at a touch. Wouldn't look out of place on StarTrek

10. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The prontos even get used in Sci-Fi.

There are various episodes of Stargate SG-1 where they use a pronto as some hi-spec scanning device. From a filmakers point of view its really easy to use it as a touch sensitive what-ever-they-want with the display changing at a touch. Wouldn't look out of place on StarTrek

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bank holiday here today (Monday) :D :D :D

I have very erratic working hours also.

I work from home & am on callout practically 24hrs 5 days a week :eek:

12. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I have just bought a Pronto and after using it for 4 days I think it's fantastic.:D
    I haven't even attempted to download Pronto Edit yet as I want a few days to get a feel for this remote. I've easily managed to set up a few macros and so far programming all my remotes into it has been a doddle.
    £150 is a lot for a remote but it is one cool bit of kit:cool:
    And YES, I DO have a "budget" system: Denon 1601 Amp, KEF Cresta's x 5, Paradigm Sub, Tosh SD100 DVD, JVC AV32t25 TV, Panasonic Digibox, Panasonic FJ630 VCR, PS2 and a £25 dimmer switch for the lights.
    This set up has been my first in home cinema and I'm well pleased with it. I will upgrade it gradually. £150 to be able to have complete control over even this budget system is well worth it I would say. I was a little dubious about spending £150 at first but now I have absolutely no regrets:D
    I think it may be the last bit to get upgraded though;)

13. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Another "budget" user here :

Sony KV32FX65
    Yamaha DSP-A5
    Wharfedale DVD-750S
    Eltax Symphony 8.2 mains
    Eltax Symphony centre
    Tanny mxr rears

Prontos are amazing.

14. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,099
    And another 'budget' user. Beats needing 3 remotes to watch a DVD.

Yamaha DSP-A5,
    Eltax Symphony Centre, Stargate X1 and A8 subwoofer
    Sony KV32FX60U,
    Samsung DVD709
    Thomson Tivo,
    JVC VCR and Telewest AD.

15. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Another budget user:

Denon 1802
    Sony DVD - forget model numbers of all other kit!!
    Sony Minidisc
    Marantz CD player
    Sky Digi
    Sony 28" WS TV
    Touch sensitive remote controlled dimmer light switch

Have to say the Pronto is THE best kit I have purchased. As has been said, why bother with the hassle of having to select correct picture on tv, correct source on Amp and then fiddling with DVD remote just to watch a film. Far easier to press a button which selects picture/sound and then displays all DVD controls for you.

6 remotes on the sofa or 1.....hmmmm.....it a tough choice ;)

P.S. And being able to customise everything about the look and control of the screen on pc is such a bummer.
    P.P.S. As is the timer function which let me switch the house lights on and off every night for a week when I was away.
    P.P.P.S. It even has a hidden game of Tetris for when you get bored!!

Yes, I do like my Pronto just an ickle bit :D

16. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but it costs a £150, you could have got a 1 for all to do most of that (not so elegantly I know)

I mean you've got such a budget amp - but great remote!!!!!

it's like living in a council house and driving a Ferrari

This site is for sad people I know (I am one) but to go on about a remote control when everything else is so basic is beyond me.

17. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    It's not about basic or top end, it's about the end of more than one remote the saving in batteries more than covers the cost in fact it pays for itself. :p

18. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Its about looking to the future, like you said I could have got a one for all to do MOST of that. The Pronto is so customisable(sp?) that you could programme anything you plan to buy in the future. So when the time comes to upgrade my amp etc I will have no worries about re-programming the Pronto.

Here is a very good example of just how handy this thing is:
    My Marantz CD player remote stopped working for some strange reason before I got the Pronto. However, all I had to do was download a few files (thanks to remotecentral.com) and the CD player was remote operated once more.

Doesn't really make THAT much sense. What would a £2000 amp do extra that a £500 wouldn't?? THINK about it. What does a higher spec amp have?
    More power - makes no difference to the remote (volume up and down is an industry standard) ;)
    More sound options - most of the time there is only one or two buttons that are used to select the sound output required. So again a more costly amps makes no odds there.
    More inputs - makes little difference to the remote, except of course you could effectively programme 1000 inputs in to the Pronto, lets see a 'one 4 all' do that.

The reason people buy these these things is so they can A) Get rid of a mass of remotes and make stereo operation quicker and easier and B) So that they know, regardless of how many more stereo components they buy, they can use the Pronto for it (I have all my units on mine and use macros and have used up about 11% of the memory)

Not really, let me ask you: If you didn't have a dts amp, would you just buy a budget DVD player that didn't support it or get one that did for when you eventually upgraded??
    I say again WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES THE COST OF THE EQUIPMENT MAKE?

If you owned one of these you would see why everyone who owns one rates them so highly.

Last of all, sorry to sound so defensive but your post had a hint of mockery that I wasn't keen on.

19. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Silverpenguin - sorry yes my post did have a hint of mockery - bloody fed up at the moment.

My only point was you could have spent more on AV equipment rather than the remote that in my opinion would have given you more pleasure.

I did consider the Pronto don't get me wrong but I couldn't justify it to myself.

I ended up getting an e-pilot for £70 from Maplins, when I told a friend how much it cost he couldn't believe I had spent so much on a remote - doesn't mean much I know but this is my experience.

All I need to do is set up 1 or 2 macros and replace my other remotes plus I could see myself spending ages customising the remote rather than using it.

Take my views with a pinch of salt, if you are happy then it's worth the money to you and that's what matters.

Cheers dude.

20. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,531
    pronto by far one of the best gadgets i ever bought.......along side my dremel drill.... :)

21. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to chuck another complication into this thread. I've had a Pronto for over a year now. Think it's brill, but I'm currently struggling with myself (conjurs up a few funny images in my head) to justify upgrading to the new colour Pronto. But £650 - jeeze................

22. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    It doesn’t justify the cost, but I did it anyway I thought the Marantz RC9200 was the better buy (even more money) the extra hard buttons and adding colour logos cuts down on extra panels. Just for sky+ I only need two panels.

23. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,531
    pronto pro can be had for about £575 at various places, still a bit steep for a remote though. Will think about it, when it comes down to around £250 ish.

24. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You Pronto freaks just aren't getting out enough!!!

25. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I do I sit in the park playing tetris :p

26. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just brought mine yesterday. Didn't even know I "needed" one until I read these threads!
    About an hour of infuriation followed by delight!
    Do people try and "copy" their old remote Look, or go for a similar design for all their bits if kit?
    How do I find Tetris!
    I dont know why they dont put Prontoedit on the disc, it took nearly an hour to download.

27. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    When I first started with a pronto I tended to copy the layout of the remote because it was easier but as you get better you will do your own because you find that some remotes are poorly layed out and with a pronto you can make it how you like. As for tetris do the following

# While holding [LIGHT],
    and
    at the same time:
    # Press [MUTE]
    # Press [CH+]
    # Press [MUTE]
    # Press [CH+]
    # Press [VOL-]
    # Release the
    and
    keys before releasing [LIGHT].

Also have a look around www.remotecentral.com

Good luck​

28. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Ive had my pronto remote over a year now and iam only now learning that u can play tetris on it! Cheers for that.
    I only have a budget system but theres nothing like it when at the touch of a single button the lights go off your favourite movie starts up and the room fills with sorround sound.
    I think everyone is in agreement that the Pronto is the ultimate modern gadget. Now if only the price of the Pro would come down to about £200 then I would be a happy man.

29. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    i must a admit the pronto neo gave a few sleepless nights but once i over came the problems i had with i think its got to be one of the best remotes i've ever had
    i have the following
    panasonic dvd/amp
    sky+
    philips cd/cdr
    jvc tv
    i had some problems vgetting it to learn the codes so i went out and bought a STYLUS.
    this is how i got it to work
    press on the soft key you want to program 3*and the press on the button on your original remote,if at first it doesn't work keep doing it and i will learn it
    on my panasonic amp it wouldn't learn the volume up on the hard keys so i put it on the soft key then told it to learn it from there to my hard key and by god it's working very well

30. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Brox, why do you feel the need to slate prontos and their owners so much?

Ive owned one for over a year and while every other component in my system has come and gone, the Pronto has remained. No need to upgrade, it does eveything I need it to and more.

With your thinking, we might as well not bother buying any AV gear unless its made by TAG or B&O, and we have to remortgage our houses for it. And even if we did, we'd still have coffee tables overflowing with remotes instead of one nice little silver one.

My pronto currently controls the following: JVC 32" TV, Netgem iPlayer DVB, Pioneer DVD & AVR, Philips VCR, PS2, Quintro+ scart controller and IR dimmers. Past items have inluded a Tosh WS TV, Philips WS TV, Samsung DVD, Kenwood AVR, and Pace DVB. Ive put all sorts of customised screens and macros in it and the memory's not even 3/4 full yet. I wouldnt part with this thing for the world.

If you consider £70 enough to spend on a remote then fine, but dont come on here knocking people because you dont agree with want they spend their money on.