1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronto

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by General Skanky, Sep 19, 2000.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've just been looking into the Pronto/Marantz remotes and others for comparison. Been to www.remotecentral.com (which is excellent for info), and looked at all the old posts here.
    My question is, does anyone have any brand spanking new info on the Pronto, ie, planned updates, costs, revisions etc that may not yet be public knowledge? For example at remote central they talk about a poss. 'rubberized' Yamaha version that sounds good.
    I'm interested because my Remote Angel is quite simply being outgrown by the complexity of new kit that makes using it more awkward to use month by month. I want full remote duplication. The Pronto seems to be best.

Cheers.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

2. wwwebber

wwwebber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Do yourself a favour, just go out and buy one !!!. The longer you leave it the longer you'll be without one of the most important additions to home cinema. Believe me, I've been through about 3 different a/v remotes and wish I'd plucked up the courage to spend £200 on a remote in the first place. Instead I faffed about buying inferior remotes and ended up buying the Pronto anyway.

Avoid this by buying the Pronto !!!!
    The docking station is quite nice as well.

[This message has been edited by wwwebber (edited 19-09-2000).]

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    That's exactly what I'll do. Cheers.
    Just wanted to get the best value for my cash.
    The Pronto floats at £195 at the moment with the station at £40 or so, so hopefully I won't be stung by a nosedive in prices too soon, making way for a new and improved model!

------------------

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Colour Pronto due out 'soon' (depends what one calls 'soon' of course:....expected Q1 2001?)

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Read all about that. But at what price?
    If it's astronomical then it won't be worth it. The only real benefit of a 'new and improved' unit would be operating software/memory. But how many people have a problem with what they have now? None I expect. Having said that though, colours would be nice.

------------------

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I am afraid a color display will just eat up more battery and I personally don't consider it a 'must have' feature on a remote control.
    Don't know about any other changes, but if it comes as a replacement and not as an addition perhaps the b&W PRONTO will fall in price?
    Will buy one myself then, at the moment my amps remote can still manage ...

------------------
    Rgds,
    Reiner

7. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    www.letsautomate.com always have some competitive prices on both the Marantz and Pronto versions. I've just bought a second one from there so I can use it in a different room!

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Letsautomate are the cheapest I've found so far, (HiSpek by phone do the Pronto alone for £193!) but am still looking and searching for a day or two.
    I e-mailed Yamaha about the rubber version to see what if anything is due, but I'll not linger too long.
    Whatever, I'll end up with a Pronto, so it's a simple question of a quick look round before I buy.

------------------

9. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with wwwebber, just go out and buy one. I usually faff about trying to weigh things up (let’s face it, that’s half the fun), but on this occasion, my silent partner who usually goes along with whatever I decide in the home cinema department, said: “Go on, get it.” Quite honestly, it’s the best £200+ we have spent. Oh, and don’t forget to get the docking station unless you have an endless supply of batteries. Don’t keep the Pronto on the docking station because it’ll just start flashing at you after a while. Just pop it on there when it needs recharging and it does the biz in no time at all. The Pronto is a brilliant piece of kit. And don’t forget, you can download graphics off the web if you have a PC. We have a Mac, so we still have to figure out how to connect up using a USB.

So get one, Pronto!!!

Caroline
    PS: Make a good salesperson, wouldn’t I!?

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'll buy one I promise!!!
    I saw Home and Leisure on Sky the other day, they were installing a home cinema (from 1992) on the prog. It was excellent to watch, but the point is they showed a colour remote control screen, it looked very good. So maybe a wait and see is in order to see how it turns out, but whatever, a Pronto is by far champion!

------------------