1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronto RU950

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by taimur, Sep 6, 2003.

1. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying a remote control like the Philips Pronto RU950 (http://www.letsautomate.com/10921.cfm?). However, I've heard that sometimes this type of universal remote control won't work with cable boxes. I have an NTL digital cable box made by Pace with no model number on it. My Sony VL9000 universal remote control learned the signals without problem. Will the Philips Pronto be able to learn my cable box signals?

If anyone has the remote, please let me know your views on it.

2. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    If your Sony learnt it then it almost certainly uses consumer IR, which is compatible with the Pronto. Some cable boxes use IrDa which the Pronto cannot use (or learn). Incidentally, there is a device called RedEye (http://www.letsautomate.com/10492.cfm?) which will convert consumer IR (Pronto) to IrDa (cable box).

3. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you do get a 950 make sure you download the latest firmware release last week.

It makes a MASSIVE difference to the speed (ie its now usable) and also fixes some annoying bugs (like sending the IR code twice).

Was getting pretty annoyed with it (much worse than my 'old' pronto) but now I think its excellent.

4. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was reading in remotecentral about speed issues. I'm a channel surfer, and my favourite buttons are channel-up and right-arrow

How quickly can you press another button or the same button again once something has been pressed?

thanks for your help

5. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just done the little mod for the battery connection as mentioned on Remote Central. Wow, makes a lot of difference using my 800 mAh NiMH batterys.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Have they fixed the 'problem' when you press a hard button it first turns on the screen and you have to press it again to execute the command?

7. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  8. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it easy to quickly channel surf? IOW, can you press the buttons quickly for something to happen, or is there a little delay between pressing the button and something happening to the device being controlled?

9. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    sorry for the late reply.

i find channel hopping pretty easy with the 950.

its might be marginally slower than using the sky+ remote, but i haven't found the need to go and get the real one yet.

(Of course, if you're talking about Ham's surfing in Toy Story, then it may not be up to the job, though of course, there's always a macro...)

10. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the RF-function in the 950 work with RF-lightcontrollers like for example X10? I would like to be able to operate both my amp, DVD etc. AND my light and curtain (which is connected to two RF-units).

//Kris