1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronto RU950 - Prices and availability?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Mumm-Ra, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Mumm-Ra

Mumm-Ra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been eyeing up a universal remote for a while now (The Missus isn't too happy with the 7 or so remotes). I think I'm going to opt for the Pronto RU950 (or NG?).

I've been getting prices varying from £210 delivered (currently out of stock) all the way to over £300 (lot's in stock)!

I've looked at some of the retailers recommended in this forum and it seem s that the initial 'wow that's cheap' is countered with + VAT and/or Delivery costs. the cheapest I've found so far is www.unbeatable.co.uk
    But they are quoting a two week lead time and I have never dealt with them before.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that is cheap, reliable and has a good lead time? or should I bite the bullet and sit on my hands for two weeks?

:hiya:

2. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I got an RU950 from unbeatable, didn't have any problems.

I can recommend Lets Automate - its a little more expensive but they're very good - http://www.letsautomate.com/10921.cfm?

Hope that helps!

3. Mumm-Ra

Mumm-Ra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Loada,

How are you finding it? I've heard they can be tricky to program. Did you buy the docking station too? I also heard they can be harsh on batteries.

:smashin:

4. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    It has lots of potential but is being mired with minor firmware problems and the battery issues. TBH, I haven't programmed it in anger (as currently most of my work is done on the older Prontos) but I can report that the new software (ProntEditNG) is a bit lacking from the dealings I've had with it. On the upside, apparently Philips are actively addressing all the problems and will provide firmware and software updates soon.

They're currently busy on the TSU7000 (RU980) which is the colour version of the RU950. It's looking very special and Philips are using some of the brighter lights in the "remote scene" to help them beta test the hardware and software. A lot of that effort is being used to bring the RU950 up-to-scratch too. Price on the new TSU7000 is crazy tho ($999!) ...

Incidentally, I haven't got a docking station for the newer Pronto but I am considering it, mainly for convenience. I have one for my older Pronto - saves worrying about batteries at all.

5. duke748

duke748

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I got hold of mine from nexnix.co.uk on Christmas Eve

Live quite near so had it picked up

£260 including the charger.

6. bedders

bedders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having spent a week looking and pondering, have now bought a new RU950 from www.nexnix.co.uk, although I visited them and bought onsite as they are quite local for me.

I checked with 2 local Hifi retailers, and was quoted £300 for the Pronto, £50 for the dock - £350!!!

Nexnix is £256.15 in total for RU950 and Dock :) £18 or so cheaper than Letsautomate, who were the only other online shop I could find with stock.

I was looking possibly to go with the colour version. Only problem is there seems no sign of the UK RU980 at the moment. Phil from Letsautomate doesn't have any due dates, and said they usually get to hear many months in advance.

My recomendation is to give Nexnix a call. Ask for Lucy in Sales, apart from being absolutely gorgeous, she really does know her stuff and is very helpful.

They have a great demo room and from talking with Lucy they get most new Plasma screens in so will be able to demo to prospective customers in style :smashin:

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Can anyone take a digital camera next time and get a pic of this gorgeous Lucy :) This has been mentioned several times on this forum and for those of us unlucky enough to visit it would be great to see who we may deal with ;)

8. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Messiah, you naugty little boy! Sounds a bit pervy to me. :nono:
    I can just picture you, phone in one hand and something small in the other :eek:

Cheers
    Oddbodd

p.s. I know what your going to say, it's your credit card :devil:

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    :laugh: My credit card is too hot to hold at the moment. In fact I think you can say it is in meltdown :D Thank goodness for the bonus cheques ;)

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    at least you got one!!

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    :( [cue violins :)]

12. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hey all

Has anyone considered buying one of these direct from the states? At nearly 2:1 conversion surely theres gotta be a bargain around?

Back in 1998 I purchased my first pronto direct from the states, unfortunately I lost it along with £9k worth of HC gear to me ex wife who thought I was playin away!
    I am now a bit settled and am also looking for a new remote to replace 6 remotes and control my lights. I am a bit confused and will post a question shortly.

Cheers for now

Tony

13. MTJ

MTJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the specs there appears to be one difference between the US TSU3000 and the European RU950: the RF frequency, 433.92 for Europe and 418 for the US.

So if you are thinking of buying a US version, and care about the RF frequency, would find out if the frequency can be changed by loading the European Firmware (if it will load) or if there is a hardware difference that would need 'modifying'.

A quick look would indicate a potential saving of £60 ish, assuming you bought it on a trip over there and used your customs allowance to bring it back in!

Has anyone out there experience of loading the european software on a TSU?

Mark

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Is it really worth it for £60. Remember you will not then have any warranty.

15. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hmm I hear what your saying, upon further investigation, I have the following prices;

PCSeller.com - Refurb TSU3000 $200
    Docking $ 65 - $265/1.8=£147

BlueDo - Package for both the above - $290.95 = £162

Surf Remotecontrol.com - TSU3000 $245
    docking station is $60 - total $305/1.8 = £169

As for customs and stuff currently my sis lives in the states and is coming over next month so no issue there. I see a saving of about £140 not £60 as stated - so the only issue is that the software works I guess. I have not and wont be using any RF devices AFAIK - lights will be Lutron I guess and screen is infra red anyway.

Cheers

Tony

16. MTJ

MTJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The £60 ish was based on just the remote (at around $265), will be a little more if you buy the docking station. However given the power supply will need to be replaced on the US version would personally buy the European/UK model (£39)

You also need to add shipping to the US prices to your sisters location and possibly sales tax, based on the state. Adding the cheapest shipping and comparing to unbeatable.co.uk would save you £70 for the remote only.