Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pronto RU890

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by mxs, Dec 29, 2003.

1. mxs

mxs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Silly question, but are these worth £120 second hand? and is the macro facility easy to set up?? :confused:

2. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    IMHO, a resounding "yes!". The Pronto RU890 is the original and still holds it own, even against its newer sister remote, the ProntoNG. In terms of support, it's unmatched. Just check out the Pronto files section on www.remotecentral.com!
    Macros are quite easy to setup but the software to do that can be a little awkward and does have a learning curve - the best bet for you is to download the ProntoEdit 4 (PC, Windows) software from Remote Central (in the Files\Pronto\Original Software section) and have a play. That is the official editor for all the 1st-generation Pronto remotes and their derivatives and contains emulators for the remotes so you can try things out without actually owning the hardware. Downloading other people's custom configurations, particularly those by Daniel Tonks, gives a good idea of what's possible.

As an aside, there is a 3rd-party (unofficial) program called Tonto which can be found at www.giantlaser.com/tonto. This is java-based and can be run on Mac/Linux platforms too. It offers some nicer functionality than the official software and is recommended. However, you will still need ProntoEdit for the emulators.

I suggest you try out those two software packages and see what you think. Mastering those is the key to getting the most out of the Pronto remotes and it does require a bit of perserverence and patience. Incidentally, the remote can be setup and used without a PC (including macros) but you won't be able to take advantage of the custom graphics features (which IMHO is the whole point!).

Hope that helps!

3. mxs

mxs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers Loada - are these still available to buy new? or do I have to get a used one off ebay?

4. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I'm afraid the RU890 discontinued a while back so you will have to get one off eBay. However, I believe you can still buy the RU940 (Amazon?) which is identical apart from it has 2Mb of memory (only 1Mb on the 890).

TBH, I'd recommend finding a reliable eBay seller and get the 890 - unless you want to display lots of graphics and/or lists of CDs/DVDs/MP3s, 1Mb will be more than enough. Bear in mind that Marantz did their own Pronto-derivative called the RC5000 (similar to RU890) and the RC5000i (similar to the RU940). They differed on a couple of features and had different editing software but if you use Tonto, that's not a problem. Quite often, the Marantz remotes seem to be cheaper on eBay but they are more rare. Also, bear in mind that the Marantz remotes come with the docking-station and rechargeable battery pack - that is an optional extra on the RU890/940.

Hope that helps!

5. mxs

mxs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for taking the time to explain Loada - I will keep my eyes peeled for a Marantz as I am not into graphic options, I just want my coffee table back!! ;)