1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronto RF Extender and ???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by darrenking, Sep 19, 2005.

1. darrenking

darrenking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have been looking at the Pronto (RU950) remote and the RF extender to allow me to hide all my home cinema and HiFi equipment away, sounds oh so simple.

I have but one question(at the moment), I know I can program the pronto to control all of my kit but some times it is useful to be able to use the original remotes for rarely used features. familiarity (and it would help keep the Mrs happy), is there an IR to RF device that will work with the Philips RF Extender enabling me to use the Original remotes or would I Need yet another Remote extender system to achieve this.

Some one has suggested a Powermid Transmitter, any one if that will work?

Does anyone have any experiance of trying to use RF and IR passthrough with the same kit?

Darren King
    ------------

2. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate the pronto's can take a bit of time to set up and get right for you, but it sounds to me like you need some "rarely used features" pages in your file! I put all the commonly used buttons on the top page(s) for the device and less-common ones on another page. It's not that hard to do this sort of thing using the software. Then just put the Mrs on the appropriate training course with flowers/jewellery/shoes offered for successfully passing... :rolleyes:
    The whole point of these remotes is to do away with still needing other units so I wouldn't expect there to be an easy solution to this problem.
    If you want the other remotes to speak to the extender (using IR), then this should be easy if the extender is visible itself, even if the kit isn't. Maybe there's somewhere you can put it that's visible that still gives enough length for the emitters. If you're trying to communicate using RF then I don't see how it's possible unless the remotes are capable of doing that (I suspect hardly any are). - haven't heard of the device you mention, but I'm sure someone hear has.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I would take carefactornil's advice and just make sure you program the pronto well!!! You're half way there if you're already aware of the kind of situations you'll be in that will require special functions, grouping them together somewhere easy to navigate to on the remote is all that's needed. Remember when programming to use hard buttons as much as possible, I always wonder when on remotecentral why so many people have an arrow pad laid out all nice and pretty on the screen when there's hard buttons for arrow keys already!!!

Oh and the Pyramid is a load of guff by the way!!

4. darrenking

darrenking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Guys.

I am getting the overwhelming impression that everyone's answer to this one is why would you want to do it in the first place. :D I guess you are right.

Appreciate your responses. I will find somewhere to shove the pronto in the Mrs hand me thinks, it might save money in the long run.

I thought the Pyramid was unlikely to work, I know it functions on the same 433Mhz frequency but it didn’t seem to have any method of selecting a channel.

Ta :thumbsup:

Darren

5. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Antother thing you can do is, find a picture of your remote and scan/photoshop it. Load it into your pronto and overlay buttons. Now your pronto looks like the original remote
    Did it once for a B&O. Looks nice.