1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronto/RC5000 -

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Chris Frost, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I've just got an RC5000 and started to play around with it this weekend, so my head is full of "how to" and "what if" questions, but at the moment I'm a little puzzled.

Either I've missed something or this remote is actually a lot more basic that I expected.
    There is an IR DB feature - give it one code and you get every button for a particular device. But this appears to support only Philips/Marantz products. Does anyone use the IR DB for programming non Philips/Marantz products, or do you just learn the IR commands for each button?

Does the RC5/6 and RC MM have any use if you don't Philips/Marantz kit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd www.owl-video.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Chris Frost (edited 19-03-2001).]

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,
    Well this is an honour & a privilege. I can actually help you for a change!
    What you need to do is go to www.remotecentral.com & download Pronto Edit. (make sure it's the right version for your remote) You can then edit your Pronto's CCF (configuration file) on your PC. There's also lots of excellent examples for you to use there. If you download someone else's CCF's for the equipment that you own, you can then play with them to suit yourself. After a short while you'll want to create your own.
    PE is a steep learning curve (I know, I've said this before folks) as it's basicly the programme that Philips engineers use to programme the Pronto originally. Therefore it's not very intuitive! Remote Central has all the answers you need though. There's a lot of very clever people hang out there.
    Feel free to e-mail me Chris if you need any 'tips' [​IMG]

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes, goto remote central but also get the FAQ as well. To agree with Arthur it is a very steep learning curve but essential if you want to make the best out of the Pronto.

4. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention; download the PE manual too!

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

5. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PE might have a steep learning curve but it's well worth while looking at a couple of CCF's that have similar components, see how they achieve the tasks (via the Pronto Emulator) it's then a case of DIY or massive plagiarism!!

You can actually cut the IR codes (remote central have the IR codes for most manufacturers components) from one config and "create" a dummy via the RC5/6 panel and then paste the relevant IR commands.

It's as simple or complex as you want it to be. I've had mine for about 18 months and I keep thinking of other things to add. go to remote central and ask a few questions, you'll soon pick it up!!

Happy programming

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Thanks for all your help.

I've actually had a look at the Remote Central web site, but (as always) time is short, so I was hoping to get the fast track on a couple of items from you Pronto masters without wading through the FAQs.

Was really interested by Couch Potato's comments. Will have to investigate further when I've got some more time.

Thanks again guys.

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk