1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronto Question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by pauld, Mar 15, 2001.

1. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a Pronto for a while and hve just purchased a docking station and wondered whether to leave it on the docking station all the time. The other option would be to put it on charge when it needs it.

What do you lot do with yours??

Paul.

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if you know yet, but there's a daft software problem with the battery level indicator. Even after a full charge it still only reads as 2/3 full. Also, sometimes the Pronto will tell you that the battery is low after a charge. The solution (as posted on remotecentral.com) is to remove the battery pack. Then gently prise the contacts inward slightly. When you re-insert the pack, the Pronto re-boots, & the problem is cured. It's recommended then to charge the battery before the level gets down to halfway - I charge mine once a month, then the problem doesn't arise.
    I leave mine on the docking station all the time as it 'completes it' but not with the charger plugged in. Hope this helps.

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

3. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As my Pronto started to flash after leaving it on the docking station I decided to check out what to do. According to Pronto owners with the same problem on the www.remotecentral.com site, the best thing to do is only charge it when it needs it. It will let you know when it is running low. It is like most things that run on rechargeable batteries - they need to be run down from time to time. They don't like being left on charge. By the way, mine shows a full charge when it is fully charged.

Happy Pronto Day

4. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just like Arthur, I leave mine on its docking station and plug in the charger only when it needs it. Apart from the fact that the Pronto looks cool on its station, it's unable to hit the IR receivers of all my auto curtains in the room and the sensor on the Futronix light controller without having the Pronto pointing in exactly the right direction - the docking station, fastened to a coffe table, ensures that angle is always correct.

I've heard of gadgets that can receive an IR signal and 'burst' it in a number of directions all around the room - has anyone else heard of these and if so do they know where they can be acquired?

5. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm much the same as everyone who has replied here. I use the docking station when I'm not using my RC5000. I only plug in the mains transformer when the remote displays the flashing battery sign.

For what it's worth, I have a friend who runs an av shop. He gives the same advice to his customers. If the docking station is plugged in permanently then it can lead to premature battery failure.

Ian G.

P.S. I find I charge mine once every two months.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Black 5:

Your burster units are freely available:
    try http://www.letsautomate.com. you have to buy a reciever , a control box and a burster.
    thier prices are very competitive with the U.S except (unless they have changed it) the actual reciever unit which if you compare it to an american site like : http://www.partsexpress.com

(does anybody else see "part sex please" in the above address or am i losing it!)

is very expensive. have a look around as i know there are several other sites out there.

Happy hunting

7. wiz

wiz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    Dunno if you guys have noticed this but when I haven't used my pronto for a whie then hit any of the buttons I have to adjust the contrast to get a decent screen. It's ok for the rest of the day but it is anoying having to readjust the contrast

8. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have a RC5000 and leave it on the station all the time and transformer on, the battery is a nickel metal hydride type so you have no problems with memory charge and do not need to discharge down to get a full charge back, there is a software update for the Pronto/RC5000 which is supposed to cure the low battery warning indicator but I found just taking the battery out and rubbing the contacts with a clean cloth cured the problem and it has been fine ever since, at least 6 months so far.