1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronto ProRU970

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by GP-TT, Sep 9, 2003.

1. GP-TT

GP-TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm close to finalising my AV system that will inlcude a 42" Panny, Denon AV and DVD, SONY VCR and NTL cable box.

Due to the fact that all units will be placed in enclosed cupboards, I'm thinking about the Philips Pronto Pro RU 970 with the LI 970 RF bas extender so as to control the units without having to open the doors.

I'd love to hear impressions (good and bad) from anyone who is using this particular model.

Also I was told that the RF base is on backorder and noone seems to be able to tell me when it will be available. Does anyone know of a retailer that may have this product in stock?

Thanks

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Why not get the marantx RC9200 which includes the RF stuff and is a better remote anyway with larger screen, cursor pad and 'back' options? Just a thought.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    I've got to second the recommendation from Messiah. Well I have got the RC9200, so I would.
    I looked at both units and found the 9200 better. I have a TiVo and therefore the cursor pad is invaluble to me. And as said the RF unit is included in the box, so will save time & effort tracking one down.
    You can get an ex-demo unit for around £550 or new for around £650 on the net.

Mark.

4. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
  5. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    How about a Xantec (from letsautomate) or Keene IR distribution system. Lets you use a receiver and then distribute multiple copies of that into different cupboards.

I use this with a Wavecom Sr Video/Ir transmitter/receiver and can control things from most rooms in the house!

6. GP-TT

GP-TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for the input. For Messiah and MarkE19, since I don't have a Tivo the cursor pad is not that important. What other features did you find the Marantz to be superior to the Philips.

Interestingly I have just come across a review in audiorevolution about the 5200, however it goes on to say that for him the Philips TSU6000 (US equiv to 970) is the best control in its class.

I have also seen at Letsautomate website that it has updated its stock and they now have the RF base for the Philips. However they don't sell the 9200.

7. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I had the Marantz 9200 for a while, and it certainly beats the Pro.

You'll be surprised how much you need the cursor pad, even without Tivo.

Look at all the layouts people have done for the pronto, everything has some form of cursor affair for operating a video, a TV etc. Having it as a hard key is so much nicer and frees up your screen to do more.

It has more hard buttons, and hard buttons are a real plus for things like volume, channel up down etc.

The 9200 also comes with the RF extender.

However I was ultimately disappointed with the whole setup and this is true for either remote.

For starters the screen is severely lacking. Only 256 colours. If you've used a decent pda you will hate it and the amount of work required to make the graphics look nice means lots of messing with dithering and colour palettes. It is not as good as the screenshots show! There is just no excuse for the screen when you are spending that kind of cash.

My other main gripes are personal. The pronto is just too customisable and to get it just right takes too much work. In the end I was just too lazy.

I might have persevered but the screen annoyed me and I found that despite wanting to love it, I really missed having real buttons to press!

So I ended up with an MX-500, easy to setup, lots of buttons and a programmable lcd so the labels can show the correct function. looks odd, but I love it.

Cheers
    Marc

8. homethx

homethx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    have you seen the pronto pro replacement its on remote central tsu 7000
    32 megabytes memory
    3.8” TFT display
    64,000 colors
    Digital contrast control
    17 Backlit hard buttons
    LCD & button backlights fade off smoothly
    Pickup sensor
    USB 1.1 interface
    Charcoal grey case color
    Alpha blending transparency support
    Timers
    RF capabilities with optional extender
    Docking station and NiMH battery included
    Multiple language support
    specs look good so far

9. GP-TT

GP-TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just popped into the remotecentral website. A big wow ! as far as specs are concerned. My question is how soon would Philips release the European version. I'll be looking to buy an RC in the next 3-4 weeks and I guess if they say late Q4 for the US version it won't be until early '04 before we see it.