1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronto owner's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Timh, Apr 24, 2001.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    OK, I've read the review's and this remote sound's great, but what do you think of your Pronto, you've had it a while, so what are the good and bad point's of this remote?
    Is it really worth hacking out nearly 200 notes for this baby?
    And will I have a nervous breakdown programming it? :rolleyes:

Cheers
    Tim

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    yes

yes

I've had mine for about 9 months now, its very cool. It has managed to replace about 9 remotes and make the system so easy to manage that anyone can use it and get everything to work right. The macro that can be applied to any button and its ability to jump to a diffrent screen so that the right control is always available makes it a very well spent £200. ;)

BUT, and its a big but, be prepared to spend 4-6 weeks learning the edit program and making it do exactly what you want or it will be the worst £200 you spent. :(

3. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, once you get into Pronto Edit, it's a sickness!! You'll find yourself forever 'tweaking' your configuration file. (Well I do anyway) Wouldn't be without the Pronto now though. ;)

4. Vis Man

Vis Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    ive had mine for nearly a year . never use the other remotes. To get the most out of your Pronto you have to use the edit software. Go to remotecentral and see some of the examples others have done. Worth every penny :)

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have owned one for over a year and wouldn`t be without it.It has replaced the clutter of 6 remotes and is also used by my children.I set up icons for the childrens channels on sky so that all you have to do is touch a picture and the pronto changes to that channel(it even plays the theme tune to the Simpsons when you select SAT from the home page).In short, the possibilities are endless, but be prepared to "play around" with the Prontoedit software, or you could always download a ready-made configuration from HomepageNo other remote comes close at the price.
    P.S. Richer sounds are currently selling for £150.

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,458
    I ordered mine along with the charger from www.letsautomate.com this afternoon and so come Saturday I should have a new toy to play with.

I have found some of the picture samples of what the pronto can do and now im excited.

I was just wandering a few things....

< 1 > Can codes be downloaded directly from the net ( or better still pages specific ) for the equipment that I have, such as a Pioneer 919 DVD player or a Denon A1D Amp ?

< 2 > How do you get those really smart looking THX, DTS and such icons on the screen ? Have I got the wrong end of the stock or is it possible that I can have buttons looking like this that will be able to switch to that sound format on the amp ?

< 3 > Is the Pronto really as configurable as it looks in these pictures ? Some have TV logos or characters !

I have downloaded the Pronto Edit software in readiness but can I be pin-pointed to some files which I will be able to use

[ 24-04-2001: Message edited by: DuncanWardle ]

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Duncan, everyone.

Yes, you too can have endless or almost endless bitmaps of TV stations on your Pronto. Yes it's amazing for the money. Yes, it takes a long while to get layouts and programmes to the required spec.

The only thing wrong with it is the screen is too small. I've just bought two for myslef though. God it's cool!

Gordon

8. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,458
    So can all this be downloaded from the net ?

say, for example, is it possible that I can download a page for my AMP which has the DENON typeface across the top and use the THX,DTS and DD logos for sound formats ?

I assume its just a case of cut and paste, to move these logos around and configure them into buttons, so it would be nice if I could make a start with the downloads now.

It would also be nice if I could download screens designed JUST for my equipment ( or close to ) to save me time and give me some idea what to do

9. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,929
    Goto the downloads section at www.remotecentral.com

Grab a few files from there that other people have made. Look at them, change them, see how they are made up and get ideas from them.
    That's what I did and it helps alot, showing you what can be done.

10. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Download Pronto edit & the PE manual from remote central now. It comes with an pronto emulator so you can see how your CCF looks/works before transfering it to the actual Pronto. Make sure it's the right version for your pronto. I've said this before, but PE is a steep learning curve. Stick with it though - it's worth it. ;)

11. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,458
    Thanks everyone

I have downloaded samples for my amp, dvd player, tv and ondigital box along with bitmaps for all the channels on ondigital

Im getting very impressed with what this little gizmo seems to be able to do.

I have looked at numerous samples and now have one more request, besides www.remotecentral.com are there any other places to get the pictures from ? I only ask b'cos I saw one guy who actaully had pictures of all his equipment for buttons, this would make it rather easier to use but I just need to be able to find pictures of my equipment ( or similar )

Also is there anychance that those of you who have designed your own screens could e-mail me the examples ?

12. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Wow! I've started somrting big here, and I dont even own a Pronto.

Dave Moran, you said (it even plays the theme tune to the Simpsons when you select SAT from the home page). Are you telling us your Pronto actually plays the tune, if so how does it do this?
    I'll have to pop over to RemoteCentral and do some investigating before I creep round the Mrs, will have to be megger creeping, I've only just had some new Bipole Surround's.

Cheers

Tim

13. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear you invested in a Pronto, Duncan. Top choice.

Like all the above posters, I've had mine for a few months (7 or 8 in my case) and simply won't be without it. Utterly, utterly brilliant. I STILL get a kick out of wiring up a new cool macro.

Just recently I found a sample of two panels that looked and worked like the Start button we're all familiar with (?) on the Windows Task Bar.

Home - a pretty background appears with a Start bar
    Start - up pops an MS style Start menu with a few items "Listen to a CD", "Watch a DVD" etc.
    Press Start again and it closes.

And with a bit of careful positioning of background DD/dts logos, it sure looks like a popup window even if it is actually just swapping between 2 panels.

Top tip though:

Create a 'macro group' and a new page in this group for each bit of h/w. Then store ALL the IR codes for this h/w on plain b&w buttons.

And whenever you want to sent an IR command, reference this button instead of learning an IR code.

This means your Pronto stores the codes ONCE and you just reference them, saving memory.

There are in fact many ways to apply good programming techniques in order to build up a modular set of commands in a sort of hierarchy. These can then be combined to perform more complex actions.

For instance I have:

1. a Turn-On-ONdigital macro (inc TV, Amp, etc)
    2. a Turn-OFF-ONdigital (the opposite of the above).
    3. a reduce volume to 0 macro
    4. a increase volume by X macro

These are all reusable buttons stored in macro groups and then my actual pretty picture buttons reference them.

Suddenly I can do a timer macro that turns on BBC1 in time for the morning weather report (making sure the correct volume is set), and then after such-and-such a time, it turns everything off again. All from REUSABLE components.

God help me when I get a more sophisticated remote control with a programming language and *state information* -- the things I have in my dreams for that setup !!! (example, it can note the state of various items so I don't toggle something OFF when I meant to turn it ON, after already being on).

ByeBye

14. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stuart, The Pronto already does this. They're called discrete codes, & many examples can be found on that wonderful remote central site. ;)

Dunc, You can edit any picture for the Pronto. I use a free programme called Irfanview to modify them. (Can't remember where I downloaded it from, sorry) The steps are: Load pic into Irfanview. Under the Image menu, convert it to greyscale. Then change it to the size you want. (For a good idea, of size, look bottom right of PE when you select a button/pic.) Then decrease colour depth. Use 8 bit to save memory, although the Pronto will accept 16 bit bitmaps.

[ 25-04-2001: Message edited by: Arthur.S ]

15. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,458
    Stuart thanks very much. My pronto arrived this morning and ill be playing with it very soon, pity I had to work :(

Is there any chanve that you could e-mail me your designs to give me some more ideas ? I would be most grateful.

My Pronto is currently charging and even with the quick play I have had ( yet to make it learn anything ) I am very very impressed :)

Thanks also to Arthur, ill hunt out that program, what I wanna do is get a picture of my equipment and use that as my front menu, can this be done ?

Lastly can I just say how impressed I am with www.letsautomate.com, I ordered my pronto late Tuesday afternoon and it arrived this morning

16. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Duncan... How's it going with your new toy?
    I've also just cracked, and orderd a Pronto with docking station from www.letsautomate.com :D :D :D
    I guess I'll need the valium come Monday :)

Tim

17. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It must just be me then. I brought a Marantz RC5000 a year ago this month and after 6 months it broke down. It just went dead in my hand as I selected Sky digital. It went of to Marantz and 6 weeks later they sent me a SECOND QUALITY replacement. I imterparated this as B stock at the time. % days later it wrong again and was returned to the dealer on Jan 2nd this year. I still haven't got it back. They have offered the "i" version (2mb memory instead of 1) as long as I pay the difference (£40 trade).
    All this happened after I had downloaded files from Remote Central. Marantz try to discourage this. This is, however, the only case I have heard off. Anybody else have problems with remote central files? :mad:

18. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Stupid question maybe, but I assume you downloaded files specific for the Marantz and not pronto ones as they are not compatible.
    I've downloaded loads of stuff from remote central and had no problems at all. ;)

19. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, all Marantz files. I've still got them on my PC but I will be selling my RC5000i when I eventually get it back. I've lost total confidence in it. :)

20. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,458
    I love it
    I have designed an entite new front end menu and have ( with the help of Arthur ) got some great menus drawn up for my equipment.

Just need to program the last few buttons and the thing will be ready for use for tonights viewing of Superman

21. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Army bloke,
    Philips tech support for problems like yours has been absolute ess h 1 t. Considering it was they who encouraged people to play with the PE software. I would say it's PE
    which has made the Pronto so popular. It's probably a corrupted file which 'done fer' your Pronto. Also, a lot of people have killed their Pronto by interrupting while downloading a CCF to it. In fact (at last) there is now a fix to download on the Philips website to bring your dead Pronto back to life. Don't give up!! ;)

22. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might give it another go. Providing that is they don't take another 5 months to fix or replace it!! :(

23. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,458
    Well stage 1 is finished. Ive just watched Superman and the pronto past the test.

I have it controlling all five pieces of equipment ( maybe invest in some of those I?R sensors so I can get the lighting under control next :) )

Arthur, I managed to get the DVD region change thing that you sent me working with my equipment, I now have full region change at the press of a button.

Another thing I am rather proud of are my pages of favourites for On-Digital, one button depicting each channels logo on the button with direct access to that channel.

I think that its just limitless to its uses. Next thing is designing 2 macros for turning all equipment on or off, ive copied the discreet codes and hope they work when time comes to create the macros.

Any ideas what else I could look at doing ? I still have 56% of memory left to play with.

Thanks to everyone for there help and recommendations so far

24. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so how do you get pics into and out of the cf files? im just messing with the software and emulator at the moment

25. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,458
    Go here for loads of files to download http://www.remotecentral.com/files/main.htm

and go here to get the graphics which make your buttons look like channel logos http://www.remotecentral.com/files/colbtn.htm

Once you have placed your buttons into the locations that they need to be you then right click on it and use the menu that pops up to assign what the button looks like.

Takes a bit of experimenting but worth it. It took me best part of a day to get mine like it is

26. pop

pop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a PRONTO.
    But keep it simple,
    Dont try to put all ya other remote functions on it,
    Its not worth it
    Just put all ya basic functions of all ya zappers that u uze on an u will b fine.
    If u need functions tucked away, use original zapper,
    lot quicker.

27. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Had my Pronto since October 99 and have probably spent 00s of hours programming - it's a new hobby :) I bought a second one a year ago for the living room, as even my wife likes using it.

Duncan, if you right click on any graphic on a webscreen you can save it as a bitmap. Then you can work on it in MSpaint or similar, which most people already have, and save it as a bitmap to be used as a button or a label. I got N64 logos, THX logos, Anamorphic widescreen logos and all sorts this way. Have to be careful with the size of the button because they won't fit on the screen if they're too big.

I have macros for all my dvds on my Pronto which include the region selection, screenshape and menu navigation to get the thing working with the right soundtrack etc. Time consuming, but v. satisfying to have it all work for you.

You'll find tunes for a few films on the remotecentral site - indiana jones etc, but they get annoying after a while. Someone even worked out how to get a piano keyboard on there.

Wait till you've got some X10 equipment in the house, then you'll really have fun - I'm working on switching on the heating (zoned for my cinema only) with my Pronto so I don't have to stop watching a film and it goes chilly :D :D

28. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,458

I do not wish to sound rude but whats the point then ? I did have the Marantz RC2000MkII and that was limited in the functions it could perform and the time it took to do so. If you want to have something simple like you say then you would probably be much better off buying one of the £30 one for all remotes.

The pronto edit software does take a little while to get used to, but if you downlaod some sample you can get it doing loads of real impressive things within minutes.

I really like the DVD icon idea, I suppose its something to try when im on leave in a few weeks along with lighting.

How much does the X10 equipment cost ? I would want to control my main room light and also a corner dimmer light, how much would this cost ?

29. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Duncan

I'm currently waiting delivery of my Pronto from Letsautomate, I have downloaded the ProntoEdit software and some ccf files which suit my equipment, can you tell me if these files include the ir codes or just the images?
    Have you made up your own screens yet or are you using downloaded ones to suit your equipment?
    Cant wait to get hold of it, should be here on tuesday.
    I will have to read up some more on the edit manual.

cheers

Tim :)

30. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you download a CCF from RC it will include all relevent codes to the equipment used in it. I'm currently working on a 'startup' intro. Whereby, when I push the 'admit one' button on my home screen, it'll not only turn on all the equipment, but also play a 'welcome to the Baldyplex' movie, using the VCR. (which will then rewind, ready for the next 'showtime') I've finished making the movie using 3D studio max & Ulead media studio, but as yet haven't had the bottle to do the voice over!