1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronto Neo is rubbish

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by russraff, Sep 22, 2002.

1. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I bought a Pronto Neo from Richer Sounds, as this would appear to be the remote from heaven! Hard buttons AND an LCD display - excellent. However, when I got back home, not only is the NeoEdit software a pain in the a*** to use, but the Neo point blank refuses to learn: My H/K 5500 amp, Panasonic VCR, Sky Digital, Remote for my computer speakers. Even my old Marantz RC1200 remote learnt more than this, or even the remote from the 5500.

Is there some help someone can shed on this, or is anyone else having problems? I have been to Remote central, and the Neo scene seems to be a little young at the moment. Perhaps there is some weird and wonderful learning "technique" that I don't know about?

Thanks Russell

2. Tides2002

Tides2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The NEO is indeed a fantastic remote, but only after it has been set up! How Neoedit got signed of for production I don’t know. I must admit the only problem that I had with my Neo not learning, was with my VideoLogic DAB tuner. I got around the problem by getting hold of codes from the Pronto download section of Remotecentral.com and then using NeoHacker to insert the new codes into NCF file. Yes it is a pain in the in the you know what! But now my Neo has been set up I am very happy with it.

3. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard some tricks around the problem of the Neo not learning remote commands.
    The one that worked for my brother was carrying out the 'learning' process in a dark room and hitting the button on his TV remote 3 times in quick succesion, the Neo then learned the commands.

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I'm not sure how to use NeoHacker. I have loaded the program, but can't seem to find where to insert the RF information. Some buttons have the fields, others don't.
    I read about this and other workarounds too. The question is: Why on earth should a £120+ remote need to have workarounds when £40 and under remotes don't? Indeed, why does the Pronto Neo have these problems, whilst the Pronto doesn't (I used to have one, but sold it because of no hard buttons)?

Of course, those without a PC are screwed if they get this remote and can't get their codes to stick anyway. The more I think about it, the more unsatisfied I am. Frankly, whether or not the remote is good or not (and it is good if it learns the codes!) I find it unacceptable that so many types of remote cannot be learned. Its like buying an amplifier that will only decode signals from BBC1 and Ch4, but if you want Sky or BBC2 you have to first use a different model first to do the decoding for you.

No thanks.

As far as I am concerned, it is going back to the shop for a refund.

Russell

5. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There seems to be some big differences in opinion about the ProntoNeo. I was thinking of getting one to replace all the other remotes, but now I'm not too sure!

The editing software seems to be poor, but provided they fix that (and issue this as a free download), what else is wrong?

Super7

6. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    im having the same problems (i bought from R/S) but once i get the codes for my system i think it will be a good remote and yes its a bloody pain but stick with it you will get it to work

7. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Should the Neo learn all your codes then it might represent a good buy. You need to check first. This is the only thing, other than the software, that I don't like. Unfortunately, the remotes' inability to learn some basic codes is a pretty fundamental problem that perhaps can't be solved by softeware updates. Too fundamental, really. I can't reccomend this product if there are other (the Cambridge Audio M500 for example) much cheaper remotes that can achieve broader compatibility.

Russell

8. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Have you tried useing a stylus?i'm asking because i tried it and it seems too work alot better,try it and see if it works for you
    i hope it helps

9. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    It wasn't that sort of problem. No matter how I tried, the remote refuses to learn certain codes that most (cheaper) remotes learn fine. I took the remote back and have got a Pronto, which which learns everything I have. I never should have got rid of that RC5000...

Russell