Pronto IR power

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by rutteger, May 19, 2004.

1. rutteger

rutteger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

wondered if any Pronto owners out there could comment on the IR power of the unit. Just purchased a TC1000 to replace my aging Cambridge M1 unit and to be honest the IR power of the TC1000 is woeful. Although I only sit 2 m away from my kit the TC1000's IR is so weak I'm constantly having to resend command, which makes macros pretty much useless...
    Thinking of flogging the TC1000 and picking up a 2MB Pronto. any comments on how the two compare.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I don't know the TC1000,but have a Pronto here...the range is fine on that....TV/HCPC etc are about 12-15 ft away,and it works from further than that.

3. rutteger

rutteger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sounds better than the TC1000 (a Microsoft / Harmon Kardon joint venture). Do you find you need to point the remote AT the kit or in the general direction. Any problems with equipment 'missing' signals ?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    To an extent,yes you do need to at least point it in the general direction of the gear,but the only one that does require a decent aim is my AV32R.....no other problems,and not with missing signals.

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,858
    The 2mb pronto has a very strong IR port (actually uses 3 diodes) and i have no problem with commands, even when the remote is pointing in the opposite direction to the equipment.

6. rutteger

rutteger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers for the advice. The TC1000 is e-bay bound.....

On a similar but slightly different topic is there any difference between the UK Prontos and US ones ?

7. phresh

phresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just recently picked up a US TSU3000 (UK version is RU950 I believe), for about £130 including postage (although its a refurb, but no problems yet). I was lucky not to get busted by customs, but even then it still works out cheaper than getting the UK version!

The only difference I can remember is that the US version includes a light sensor just above the Pronto logo that is used to automatically decide whether the backlight should be on (only when you activate the screen though, not all the time, plus you can change sensitivity). I beleive this was not included in the UK version because of some random European regulations to do with the light sensor, so technically the machine is 'illegal', although I wouldn't worry about it.

Only other difference is that you would need a step down transformer if you got a US docking station, but its easier just to get a UK one which will work the same.

Ive had it for about a month and had no trouble, IR strength is excellent and it rarely has to be facing the equipment to actually work. Its just time consuming setting it up, especially if you want to design your own interface.

Head to www.remotecentral.com, they've got all the info you could ever wish for.

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,858
    yeah, it was something to do with the sensor using a substance in production, that was banned by some no-name in Brussels.

9. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Missed out on a bargain then.

Plus a bunch o' nutters on the Intermission Forum.

10. phresh

phresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Damn, last one I saw before I bought it went for £150! Oh well, who knows how it would have ended up if I entered with my crazy bids!