1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronto for £149

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wolfe, Jun 21, 2002.

1. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all
    Now my AE100 is scheduled to arrive in time to see the German football team bore the rest of the world to death my thoughts are turning to remote controls for my setup.
    Richersounds are advertising the Pronto (2mb) for £149...can anyone tell me what I am missing by not having the docking station? I wish to control the following:-

Telewest Pace1000 digibox
    Tivo (dongle controls the Pace box...been there ..done that:cool:)
    Yamaha DSP-A5
    HTPC (I gues I can add an IR capability easily)
    AE 100

Whilst the wife will be sorely £$%^&* off with me anyway I am thinking that a big button marked "Watch Eastenders" may go some way towards saving my life

Your comments are welcome

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I love my Pronto :D
    My Pronto looks great sitting on its docking station, I have to recharge it once every couple of weeks, the only problem I have is that I sometimes having to remove and refit the battery to get it to charge.
    You can download the latest prontoedit from www.remotecentral.com once that is installed you can download someones configeration and have a play with it by pressing on the emulate button, the pronto then appears on your screen and you can click away on it and see what happens, all this without even owning a pronto.

3. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi timh
    Are you using your Pronto to control your AE100?
    I am planning to ceiling mount the projector and was wondering if the Pronto would need to be pointed at the AE100 or perhaps the room would provide sufficient IR reflective surfaces to allow the kind of "aimless" control that some remotes seem to allow yet others curiously don't....particularly the TIVO remote?
    Any thoughts?
    Wolfe

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Wolfe

The Pronto has a great IR transmitter and it certainly does turn off the AE100 while pointing at my screen. ( pj directly behind me)
    You can even setup a system off button including the AE100 as it requires two press's of the power button to turn off and one to turn on.
    Did you download the prontoedit software?

5. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I have had a look at the Prontoedit s/w...seems pretty straightforward...do you know if £149 is a good price?
    Wolfe

6. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,972
    www.letsautomate.com are doing the pronto for £150 too. The IR on the pronto is very good and widespread so you shouldn't have problems controlling any equipment no matter where it's situated. As for the docking station, I wouldn't say it really worth it. I have one and have the same problem as Timh, having to remove the battery to get it to charge properly. It's a known problem. I'd just spend the extra cash on a decent set of rechargable batteries.

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I payed £150 for the 1mb model, which is more than enough for me, so £150 for the 2mb version is a bargain. I had great fast service from letsautomate.

8. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By a remarkable coincidence I have been able to order a Pronto from Letsautomate today! Hopefully it will be here tomorrow along with my AE100!
    :D :D :D :D

I think tomorrow might be a good day :cool:

Wolfe

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Wow! you do have a big day tomorrow. Good look with your PJ, I hope its a good one.
    Get ready for some headaches with the Pronto, print of the prontoedit manual, its a big help, if you struggle, ask away I will try to help.

Good luck

10. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I am thinking about getting a pronto. I was wondering how strong they are? I mean I tend to drop my remotes on a regular basis :( can the pronto take it?
    Or would i be better in a nice little padded cell?

thaks

11. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Do a search for Pronto, someone recently dropped one onto a laminate floor. I believe the said pronto is now dead.

12. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,972
    My pronto has fallen off my bed and onto the floor many times without any problems. Obviously, they're not indestructable but you don't have to treat them like they're made of glass either.

13. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So today both the AE100 and the Pronto have arrived:D
    I just spent a couple of hours watching tv via s-video...I have to say that I am seriously impressed ...haven't had a chance to play with the Pronto yet but I have a feeling that it is a near essential bit of kit for keeping everything under control...I'm sure that if you drop it onto a hard surface you'll do some damage, but then again, I usually find that the same can be said of most bits of equipment of this sort so I don't think that its a problem that is specific to the Pronto.
    I guess the next thing to do is get the HTPC involved:p

14. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I decided that waiting until i can afford a Colour Pronto Pro just wasn't going to happen soon. So i've just bought a 2Mb Pronto and docking station from "Let's Automate" for £190.

In my box i found a printed note from "Let's Automate" about a cure for the "charging" problem.

In their testing, they found the problem to be the actual seating of the battery pack. The problem arises because of the way people have pushed the battery pack down into the "holder". This can mean the battery doesn't clip "in" properly. There is a small tab which should go under a retaining piece of plastic built into the battery compartment etc. If this has been damaged, the battery won't always charge.

Assuming the tab retainer isn't damaged :-

Their advice is to push hard against the springs with the battery pack. Then whilst still pushing against the springs, firmly lower the battery pack fully into the holder. Still pushing against the battery pack, allow the springs to push the battery pack forwards so the small tab goes "under" the tab retainer. You should hear a small "click". You may have to do this a couple of times. If you don't hear a small click, you may have damaged the small retaining tab etc. "Let's Automate" claim this method is 100% successful in curing the battery charging problem.

Then again it could be complete crap!, but you have nothing to lose trying it!!!;)