1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronto - Europeans shafted again

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by TheSeer, Jan 31, 2002.

1. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all,

Just receved my Pronto and after having used it for a few minutes, it appears that we Europeans have been shafted again compared to the Americans.

The American version has a database of IR codes for appliances from different manufacturers, so it is relatively easy to get your Pronto to talk to you different devices without having to teach it the different IR codes.

This was one of the main reasons I ordered the unit. But upon looking through the manual this facility wasn't immediately apparent. Checking on REMOTECENTRAL, I find that Philips, in their infinite & unfathomable wisdom, have seen fit to leave this functionality off the European version. What ?!! Why???????

Am I the only one who has been really p1ssed off at this omission of a supremely useful feature.

TS

2. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    We seem to get a lot of "distilled" products over here compared to the US and it pi**es me off no end. The thing is, the more you spend (£3,200 on a Denon AVC-A1SR for example) the more your shafted.
    Mark

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It is not just the removal of facilities, they also ask substantially more money for the priveledge:mad: :mad:

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,475
    er my european model has philips and marantz codes built in...soon got rid of them though, as i ain't got any philips or marantz kit.

plus picked my 2mb pronto dirt cheap well over a year ago, about £150, when other places where doing it for around £220.....

the only other feature, is the light sensor, which was manufactured using a substanced banned by the EU in brussels. some chemical or something..