1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronto and Pace 4000 cable box - does it work

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Ian Cox, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a Pronto but I am one of those lucky people who have got an NTL cable box that uses IRDA modulation and so the Pronto does not work with it. I did know this before I purchased the pronto but I thought 2 remotes is still better than using 6.

Anyway there are lots of rumours that the 4000 series of Pace digital cable boxes do work with the Pronto, I have currently got the 1000 version which definitely does not work with it. So the question is has anyone got the Pronto to work with the NTL Pace 4000 series digital cable box, with the codes that are on remote central, or is this one of those internet rumours?

The reason for my scepticism is I have a friend who works in NTL and he does not believe that this will work and I would like to prove him wrong, as I could then have one remote that controls all, and before anyone suggests it I do not want to buy a TIVO!

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I contacted NTL and Pace regading the 4000 and they confirmed that it would NOT work with the Pronto, i.e. it still uses IRDA.
    Although this is a regional thing and whether you are on the ex C&W infastructurel.

However, the 4001 DOES work, but again this STB will not work in all areas, i.e ex C&W (like me).

3. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going round my mates house next week to try out my Pronto on his cable box, he has one of the 4000 series but lives in an ex C&W area like myself. I am not holding out much hope though.

If this does not work then we will look into otherways of getting the Pronto to work with the Pace box. Hopefully we will come up with a solution, with his insider knowledge of NTL and my background as an electronic engineer. I will keep you posted.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Good luck Ian, but I don't think you'lll EVER get the Pronto to work with IRDA codes, not even a firmware upgrade from Philips can fix this.

Let me know how you get on.

5. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think I will either, but that does not mean I can not convert the IR codes from the pronto into IRDA and then put these codes in the IR-in at the back of the cable box.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

FYI there is a thread on Remote Central about use (or lack of use!) with NTL digiboxes. The link to the forum is below:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-pronto/thread.cgi?keywords=14116&highlight=ntl

I'm also in an ex C&W area, and have given up hope of getting the Pronto to work unless I go through a TiVo, which can control the digibox.

A lot of people tried to resolve the issue on Remote Central, but eventually gave up. There are also posts of e-mails from NTL customer service responding to complaints about this issue.

Good luck, and if you do come up with a solution let us know!

JonathanN

7. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK today I tried the Pronto with the 4000 cable box, with the codes on remote central and it worked.:D

But now for the bad news, my friend told me that you can not get the 4000 cable box anymore for love nor money. This is apparently the best cable box that Pace have ever produced for NTL, but NTL are no longer using Pace as their manufacture, so you just can not get them (NTL do have a stash of them though). Even if you specifically ask for one from NTL they will not give you one unless you have got a specific problem that only the 4000 will solve. I do not think NTL will except that the Pronto not working with the cable box is a specific enough problem to warrent this.

As my friend works at NTL he is going to get me one of these Pace 4000 cable boxes, but I know that does not help the rest of you. The only thing that I can suggest is to try and get a 4000 from NTL somehow, don't know how though.

Sorry that I can not help further:(

8. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    Just a word of warning to TELEWEST customers.
    I recently had a PACE 4000 installed but TW have updated their STB software and it disables the normal IR on this box anyway :(
    Just as well I bought a Tivo which the Pronto can control but now you need the cable adapter too.

AMc