1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronto Alternative[s] ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Radioactive__Man, May 2, 2001.

1. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    What alternatives are available out there in place of the overpriced/overhyped Pronto?

I'd like a decent monochrome display, reasonable battery life, and configurable icon driven menus.

Do any palm pilots or similar have the necessary bits to function as an IR contrroller ?

I would pay up to £300 for such a device, and I'd like a 3:1 ratio of useful to silly answers to this thread :)

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    whats wrong with the pronto

at only £180 including the charger its a bargain, it does all that you want and is very easy to configure

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    From various comments on the AVC-A1 forum, the only remote that could challenge, in terms of price/features/interface, the Pronto - Denon's Aktis - doesn't.

It would seem that as yet nothing does! I don't own one BTW :).

4. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the pronto covers radio devices such as x10 automation as well (light fittings plugs for appliances etc). Also you can download controls for most kit off of the net.

I know 2 bods with prontos (1 merantz, 1 philips) Both have had them for over a year, both are very happy.

You can get the 1 meg version for less than £150 these days

5. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    As I stated in the title Duncan, I feel it is overpriced and over-hyped.

Overpriced, because the one I would want would be the 2 meg version with docking station, I believe this would cost over £200.

Over-hyped, most likely because it has no competition,

A friend of mine has one and he is very happy with it, but I had problems reading the display in dim light. So I was hoping there was another device out there with more than one function for such a big price tag.

6. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've just described the Pronto! Why do you think it's overpriced/hyped? Have you owned one? Sure, it doesn't suit everyone, but it's not as poular as it is for no reason!
    Anyway, go to www.remotecentral.com & check out the reviews there for better info on RCs. Remember though, that some of them can only be bought in the US.

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    Arthur could probably answer this but why would anyone want the 2MB version ?

I have ALL the controls for FIVE pieces of equipment installed on my pronto. There are some very unique buttons used, also some things are stored on there many times over ( could not get hang of cut and paste to start with and I also have loads of different macros set up on it.

Its only 56% full ?

I also cant see ( and please dont take this as a dig ) how you could not see the icons, you just use the back light, the only times I have had trouble seeing my display is with the sun glaring on it.

check out www.letsautomate.com

8. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    harman kardon thang?
    looks pretty cool
    and is backlit
    but also costs more than the pronto i think

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May i suggest that he tries using the BACKLIGHT on the thing. While i do own one i am acutely aware of some "shortcomings", (i.e when setting up macro's you cannot command a jump-to dvd page 3 etc etc when the macro has completed it's equipment control functions, which bloody annoys me) however, i simply press 1 button and all equipment boots up, tv switches to AV, volume turns down, lights dim to 25% (over 20 seconds) etc etc, and i only paid £150 for it, it is the 1 meg version but it controls 9 devices, many macro's and i stil have 25% left, it has (once familiarised) a dr`eam of a self-edit (which really is vast) facility c/w discrete code ability and so on and so on, while not nearly perfect, for a £150 it really is as comprehensive a remote control as most people would require.

Regards

SteveEX

10. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,
    Why not? Don't you just select the page to jump to in the 'jump' box at the bottom of the 'Action' tab?

11. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Nothing really to match pronto but it comes at a price. However if you already own a Palm III then for just 20USD you can get Omniremote from Pacific-Neotek which does a whole lot more than normal multi-remotes but is not as versatile as a Pronto and the IR beam is not as powerful.

12. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,769
    Doesn't that answer your own question?

13. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well I guess the answer to my original question is an emphatic NO.

I wish all of you Pronto owners a happy future together, as the bond you all share would appear very deep and meaningful :).

Personally I would rather spend the considerable purchase price on more DVD titles, and make do with my learning remote on my AX-1 remote.

As I stated before I am not totally against the Pronto, I like the icon driven menu system and ergonomics, but I do feel they have a monopoly on the market and are milking it for all it is worth right now. It would be nice to see some healthy competition, just like every other aspect of HC.

Thanks again to all who have replied

[ 04-05-2001: Message edited by: Stephen B ]

14. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    I think that having a monoploly is something that can be a problem in lots of areas but also it can have its benefits. Look at Microsoft and Internet Explorer, just out of interest what operating system do you use ?

I understand what you are saying and it would be good for some healthy / friendly competion to be introduced, just look what has happened to the PC market since AMD ( the processors I have ALWAYS used ) got bigger.

I seem to remember that in a recent round up of remote controls in an issue of Home Entertainment featured a remote similar to that of the pronto, but by the ONE 4 ALL company. Perhaps in a few months they will have another go and introduce a cheaper better pronto beater.

15. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I would need the 2Mb one coz I got a sony 200 disc DVD plus a sony 200 disc CD, so get all my titles on there

But then again I am a sad poser.

16. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Only 200, I could hold about a 1000 on Kryton. :) Pity I only have about 20 CDs

17. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    StephenB,
    If it were easy to make a competitor to the Pronto don't you think some manufacturer would have done it by now?

18. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Give me a break Chris, OK, so it will cost any potential competition a fair amount to design & debug a similar product, but at the prices they are charging it wouldn't be that much of a deterrant.

Nor is it likely that philips are manufacturing all the parts themselves,, they will be out-sourcing a fair amount of components and may even be assembling them in some third world country where labour is dirt cheap.

I know that when a new product comes out the price is inevitably high due to the mnanufacturer trying to recoup initial costs, but Philips are not dropping their prices in line with other electrical products as their sales go up. You would probably be shocked at the amount it actually costs them to manufacture the product now that all their R&D is over and their productivity has increased.

19. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Btw folks, some people have ordered the Pronto from the Richer Sounds website for £150 and received the 2mb version!

People have phoned up asking which version it is and some are being told 1Mb and others 2Mb, and several people have posted about receiving the 2Mb version. :)

Still not getting one myself because of the zero rated WAF though. She'd walk out on me if I sepnt that much on a remote! :(

20. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

But it's gonna cost ya!!

21. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Why re-invent the wheel? For many of us this is a no brainer. I bought the Marantz for £200. An excellent purchase. I have a 'Pilot' and that is okay for £80 but the 'Prontos' are an excellent product, well made and are more serious competition for Crestons (£2000 ish). I now regret buying the Pilot, a waste of money long term but useful at the time. The Pronto family are not perfect but will satisfy most users. The owners who have posted here all seem very positive. The more reluctant ones all seem to be non owners, does this tell you anything? It is very easy to knock something when you haven't experienced it (Tag DVD syndrome?) but many people are won over by the considerable merits of this device once they experience and lived with it.

Yes. I have manufacturers programmable remotes, a Pilot, and a Palm (useless as a remote by the way). I looked at the Harmon K, if you don't like the pronto display you will hate this! There are seveal alternatives on the market but the prontos do it better, hence the others don't sell too well. Is that Phips fault? They are are all destroyed by the Pronto family in terms of quality, performance, support and capability. This is is product that has achieved it's considerable market success by it talents not hype.

If you don't like the answers you are given don't ask the question.

22. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Stephen,
    I'm not having a pop at you, just pointing out the economic reality.

It's a basic law of economics that when demand is high prices will remain high.

Prices fall as either new technology is introduced, competition increases or demand falls. At the moment there is no sign of this happening in respect of the Pronto. The alternative products either cost more or offer less functionality.

Regards