1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronto 970 UK model or 980 USA model?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Sab, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have recently broken my Philips Pronto 940 and I am now looking for a replacement.

I can get hold of a Pronto 980 for 380 pounds but it is from the USA. Also, I can get hold of a Pronto 970 UK model for less than that. Which should I choose?

What are the main differences between the 970 and the 980 Pronto remote controls?

2. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 970 has less hard buttons, less memory, the LCD is not as good. So go for a 980.
    I have got my 980 for almost a year now. Very heppy with it just the fact that the RF extendere can be slow is response. Still haven't figured out if it really is the RF extender or the Panasonic cable box that is causing the problem.

3. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I've been wondering whether it was just me, I have the TSU7000 imported from America. My Samsung NTL cable box is also very slow in response, with me having to wave the remote around me to get a signal. Strange thing is when I go into another room, it works first time everytime. I wondered if it was all the interference in the living room causing the problem, what with all the AV gear, and WiFi network. Jaguar, have you got many thing that could intefere with the signal in your room and what's it like from another room?

Cheers

Andy

4. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just to make sure my Pronto 940 was definitely broke, I recharged my batteries for a few hours and then inserted them in my Pronto 940. It actually started working again.

When I dropped it, it did not respond but now it is Ok. However, I am still tempted to go for the Pronto 980 / 970. Is it really worth it?

My system is not so complicated.

5. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy,

I don't think it is interference. I once did a test using the Pronto RF on my Pioneer plasma and it responded fast. But when using RF on the Panasonic digital cable box it's slow. So I cannot quickly browse through the EPG. It's more like press button wait a one sec press button :suicide:

I suspect that the IR signal coming from the RF extender is not 100% the same compared to the original Panasonic remote signal. As a consequence the Panasonic tries to "compensate" at which it is not as good/fast as the Pioneer.

6. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Would the Pronto 980 be a worthwhile upgrade from my Pronto 940 or is it a waste of money - even if I can get the USA model Pronto 980 at 380 pounds?

7. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Can anyone please help me?

8. bnewbie

bnewbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that's a question only you can answer to be honest.

I just got a TSU7000 + RF extender and my Thomson Sky digital box is a little slow on switching channels up (101,102 etc), but going down it's fine. Fiddling with how long the IR code lasts for helps a little but you don't get a very quick switch.

L

9. Kefmad Rich

Kefmad Rich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Sab,

I had a 940 and changed it for a 970.

I think the colour screen is far better, especially in daylight.

Richie.